Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I need help= brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
shendoa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help= brakes

when driving i hit the brakes and it like on ice, not towing it used to stop fast, these shoes has 600 miles on them, when new 0 miles they worked good, all the meat on the shoes is still their.new shoes frount and rear, blead brakes, plenty of vacum, the other shooes were worn bad, but it stoped the truck easy, lifetime warentee napa. what is going on??

Old 07-16-2004, 01:38 PM
shendoa
Senior User
is their a wire i can disconect to dissable the antolock brakes to see if that my problem???

Old 07-16-2004, 02:12 PM
shendoa
Senior User
crystalized/glazed brake pads= ok now what do i do? why does it do that? is their pads that don't do that? what god are they if they do that??

Old 07-16-2004, 10:49 PM
2001_73_PSD
Freshman User
JMO - lifetime warrenty pads are mostly semi-metallic and harder then standard pads (since they want them to last longer due to the "lifetime warrenty" - as such with a longer life pad you are sacrificing some of your braking power due to hard(pad) against hard(rotor) and thus more slipping... for example -- street cars use a harder rubber tire then a performance or race car for longevity over performance -- the softer rubber (as well as a softer brake shoe) will grab the road more for performance turning (brake shoe will grab rotor better) but will wear out quicker -- so if you want the better braking power you should go with the softer brake shoe -- like I said -- JMO -- anyone else with more experience please chime in...

as for the better braking for the 1st 600 miles-- your pads were in a break in period where they don't quite align completely with the rotor yet so less of the pad was contacting the rotor then it is now completely broken in thus more psi on the surface of the rotor for breaking purpose

and lastly --- JMO --- or it could be something more serious...

Last edited by 2001_73_PSD; 07-16-2004 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with 73, but also have some one apply the brakes while you are looking from the front of the rotor with the wheel off. Are the pads even touching the rotor. If they are barely making contact that will cause glazing, also if they are touching without the brakes applied. Glazing is due to excessive heat, so something is causing friction on the pad without enough wear to erode the pad a little everytime they are applied.

Fire Rooster