6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New owner questions about steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
cafireguy1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner questions about steering problems

Hi I have an 04 psd 4x4 lariat. I have had a few strange problems that after researching the forums seem like others have as well. I was hoping to get some clear answers as to what the problem is and what the dealers did to repair it and any TSB # if possible.

My first problem is the steering bind at low speed or with my foot on the break people state its the hydroboost, p/s pump problem.

My second problem is the poping while pulling forward with the tires turned.

And my final problem is the excessive steering wheel play.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by cafireguy1; 07-11-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:31 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought my steering had excessive play when I first got the Beast. Now 6,500 miles and a warranty alignmemt later I have no issues.

I came from a 2000 & 2002 F150 SC long bed FX4. 17" inch wheels but a wider, lower profile tire. The Beast certainly does not have the side wall height I was accustomed to. IMO taller, narrower tires take a little getting used to.

In my case I just had to get the alignment and get used to the new road sensations, so to speak. Handles great for me now.

I have seen a couple of handling complaints here @ FTE but not sure of the outcome. Except that some merely changed tires/wheels.

Sorry I can't help with the other issues as I have been fortunate not to experience them.

Others will be able to provide more input. FYI: Your vehicle & engine build dates are always helpful.

BTW: Welcome to FTE

Old 07-11-2004, 09:49 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well...looked around a little bit and there have been a couple of steering boxes replaced. Might be beneficial to do a search through the forums and see if your symptums match up.

As always, if concerned, take an issue like steering straight to the dealer.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:38 AM
hitecdan
Elder User
Hi I have an 04 psd 4x4 lariat. I have had a few strange problems that after researching the forums seem like others have as well. I was hoping to get some clear answers as to what the problem is and what the dealers did to repair it and any TSB # if possible.

My first problem is the steering bind at low speed or with my foot on the break people state its the hydroboost, p/s pump problem.
Seems to be a common problem with this truck. Turning the wheel while applying the brakes and the steering goes dead. I think the power steering pump can't keep up.
My second problem is the popping while pulling forward with the tires turned.
May be the suspension articulating. But there are other popping noises being reported.

Had the same problem with my truck. Dealer replaced the steering box. Ball joints are also another issue.
Check this site for TSBs http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm

Their is one (or two) in there about popping noises.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:05 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too think it may be a 'I have to get used to it" issue...
the Ex has MUCH larger tires and MUCH more moving mass than anything else I had driven (save motorhomes) and it just took me bit to get used to the different feel of the vehicle...

and if 4 wheel drive, you have even more mass up front...

I too am just offering some opinion here since I've not felt I had any problems either !

Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 PM
dynamicdesigns
Junior User
Smile

My 04 F350 (harley edition) definitely wanders around. But my F150 did that too. I started wondering if it was just me and the way I drive,,,but last week I let my GF drive and she couldn't even keep it straight (which I have no problem now)

I did bring this to the service mangers attention and I was told that the 18" wheels and larger tires are partly responsible for this. My buddy who is very familiar with these things gave me his 2 cents,,,,,,,,,in a nutshell, the ford truck steering system is not as advanced as it could be. There seems to be a definite correlation between the sidewall of the tires, the pressure and the size too.

If this is all that will be wrong with my PSD, I'll live with it.

Best wishes,
Mark

Old 07-12-2004, 08:39 PM
wolffee
Elder User
i to am having a slite problom with the steering, i somtimes hear poping on left hand turns while truck is moving almost a little thud under the driver floor only on left turns though. dealer looked it up in his special computer and said that it was a normal thing with the truck but in technical words i typed the whole post in before i will copy it and put it in here for giggles

Old 07-12-2004, 08:44 PM
wolffee
Elder User
THIS WAS A POST FROM A FEW WEEKS AGO MIGHT CLEAR SOME THINGS UP WITH STEERING NOISES

ok i went to my ford dealer today Maroone Ford of Fort Laurderdale FL. i stated my claim to them this afternoon and this was what happened. we test drove it and the service tech heard the noise. never heard of it before this was the first he heard of it. he put the VIN # into his computer serched HIS FMC site (Special site for techs) and it brought back the following information. Word for word

(Some 2003-2004 Superduty F-Series , Excursion and 2004 Econoline Vehicals with a 6.0L Engine and Torqshift Transmision may exhibit a clunk or pop on initial engagement from reverse to drive at approximately 2-3 MPH. This condition may be intermittent and is a CHARACTERISTIC OF THE POWER TRAIN MECHANICAL LASH. No repair attempts should be made)

Now that is direct word for word from their site of information for record i made the service manager print it out and give me a copy. he sent me on my way and i guess thats about all i can do.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:55 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can find that service bulletin and more at http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:32 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cafireguy1

My second problem is the poping while pulling forward with the tires turned.

Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the only Family Ford site
Please read the Guidelines for FTE and for each forum, you will post in.