1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Rear Wiper quit working....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
cds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Wiper quit working....

Hey guys, I knew that there was a problem with the Explorers rear wipers and come to think of it, the one on the Expy is probobly the same unit with a bigger wiper blade. Anyway, it worked fine a week or so ago but the wife was driving it the other day and said it would not work. Low and behold, she is right. Nothing in any position. The washer works but that is it. Have not looked at it yet, just wanted to get some feedback from here first. Thanks, Dan

Old 07-07-2004, 10:18 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Very common problem with these trucks. In fact some have mentioned multiple replacements.

Homerwinzlow is a Ford tech and he has mentioned that many who replace the motor do so incorrectly and screw up the new one (so if you plan on doing the replacement yourself, be careful).

Here are the "official" instructions:

1. Remove the rear pivot arm.
2. Remove the upper liftgate trim panel.
3. Remove the liftgate assist strap.
a Remove the screws.

b Remove the liftgate assist strap.

4. Remove the lower liftgate trim panel.
5. Remove the liftgate watershield.
6. Remove the rear window wiper motor.

a Disconnect the electrical connector.

b Remove the three screws.

c Remove the rear window wiper motor.

Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
cds
Senior User
Thanks Buzzard, I will try to look at it next week as I am leaving for the beach tommorow after work. So there really is no trouble shooting, more than likely the motor has gone bad. Hopefully it will be a little cooler next week when I tackle this. Dan.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:39 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The key to successful replacement is to install the arm following the instructions that come with the replacement. Dont ever run the motor first and then install the wiper arm and never preload the arm. After installing the motor place the parking pawl (the plastic parking pawl on the wiper arm) in the fully seated position and then place the arm onto the motor and secure it with the nut. This should provide long term utilization of the replacement by simply following those instructions. (according to FMC)

Old 03-30-2005, 07:40 PM
mrslate
Junior User
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow
The key to successful replacement is to install the arm following the instructions that come with the replacement. Dont ever run the motor first and then install the wiper arm and never preload the arm. After installing the motor place the parking pawl (the plastic parking pawl on the wiper arm) in the fully seated position and then place the arm onto the motor and secure it with the nut. This should provide long term utilization of the replacement by simply following those instructions. (according to FMC)

Homer, I am in the middle of a wiper motor replacement project. Can you give me some more information on the "parking pawl". Is that the white plastic semi-circle gear looking dohickey that comes with the replacement motor? No clear direction on what this is for? They call it a "carrier" and tell you to look at the wiper arm replacement directions for how to use it, but I don't have those directions. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 PM
wpinef
Junior User
I had a problem with the rear wiper where it would not wipe and all you could here from the motor was a thumping sound and it ended up being a bad relay.

Dave

Old 03-31-2005, 06:21 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
I have no idea what that white geared looking do hickey is. Did you get that motor from the dealer? It should have been nothing but the motor assembly in a box with a red or orange colored card inside with instructions on it.

The parking pawl thing I was referring to is the bracket that is part of the blade that seats onto the pad in the park position.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
mrslate
Junior User
Don't think that's my problem. When I open the lift gate glass and engage the locking mechanism to trick the vehicle into thinking the glass is closed, the wiper motor disc turns fine. Can't stop it with my hand.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
OK firstly you are installing on a 2003, which is entirely different than the earlier Expeditions so I need to regroup my instructions to you. I have only had to replace ONE of those in all this time. I cant even think of what the other piece you have is, unless it is to line up the motor for installation with the disk that rotates with the blade..

You have been trying to follow instructions here on this post for an entirely different setup.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
MRSLATE, Here is the service manual description of the replacement.

Removal

Remove the rear wiper pivot arm. For additional information, refer to Wiper Pivot Arm — Rear in this section.
Remove the dust boot cover.

Remove the rear window wiper pivot shaft nut and handle.

Open the liftgate glass.
Remove the nuts and the rear window striker and wiper pivot shaft assembly.

Remove the liftgate trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05.
Close the liftgate.
If installing a new rear wiper motor, remove the liftgate window glass latch.
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the bolts.

Remove the rear window wiper motor.
Remove the bolts.

Installation

If installing a new rear wiper motor, install the liftgate window glass latch.

NOTE: An audible click should be heard as the striker engages the latch.

Push the rear window wiper striker and pivot shaft assembly into the wiper motor. The pivot shaft pin should be aligned with the hole in the motor disc.

Install the rear window wiper motor alignment tool. If installing a new rear wiper motor, one is provided with the motor assembly.
Make sure the alignment tool fits over the motor disc and striker assembly.
Make sure the alignment tool clips are securely engaged.

Install the rear wiper motor.
Tighten the bolts.
Connect the electrical connectors.

Carefully close the liftgate glass.
Open the liftgate. Install the rear window wiper striker and wiper pivot arm mounting assembly nuts.

Close the liftgate.
Install the rear window wiper pivot shaft nut and handle.

Install the dust boot cover.

Install the rear wiper pivot arm. For additional information, refer to Wiper Pivot Arm — Rear in this section.
Open the liftgate.
Remove the rear window wiper motor aligning tool.

Open the liftgate glass.
Install the liftgate trim panel. Refer to Section 501-05.
Test the liftgate and liftgate glass for normal operation.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:19 PM
mrslate
Junior User
I have no idea what that white geared looking do hickey is. Did you get that motor from the dealer? It should have been nothing but the motor assembly in a box with a red or orange colored card inside with instructions on it.

The parking pawl thing I was referring to is the bracket that is part of the blade that seats onto the pad in the park position.

Got the motor from Fordparts.com. It came with instructions and the white semicircle plastic ring that looks like it fits over the round disc and motor shaft of the wiper motor. I thought maybe it was something that can be used to turn the disc/motor without power or maybe its just there to protect the disc during shipping. Beats the heck out of me.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:22 PM
mrslate
Junior User
MRSLATE, Here is the service manual description of the replacement.

Removal

Remove the rear wiper pivot arm. For additional information, refer to Wiper Pivot Arm — Rear in this section.
Remove the dust boot cover.

Remove the rear window wiper pivot shaft nut and handle.

Open the liftgate glass.
Remove the nuts and the rear window striker and wiper pivot shaft assembly.

Remove the liftgate trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05.
Close the liftgate.
If installing a new rear wiper motor, remove the liftgate window glass latch.
Remove the bolts.

Remove the rear window wiper motor.
Remove the bolts.

Installation

If installing a new rear wiper motor, install the liftgate window glass latch.

NOTE: An audible click should be heard as the striker engages the latch.

Push the rear window wiper striker and pivot shaft assembly into the wiper motor. The pivot shaft pin should be aligned with the hole in the motor disc.

Install the rear window wiper motor alignment tool. If installing a new rear wiper motor, one is provided with the motor assembly.
Make sure the alignment tool fits over the motor disc and striker assembly.
Make sure the alignment tool clips are securely engaged.

Install the rear wiper motor.
Tighten the bolts.
Connect the electrical connectors.

Carefully close the liftgate glass.
Open the liftgate. Install the rear window wiper striker and wiper pivot arm mounting assembly nuts.

Close the liftgate.
Install the rear window wiper pivot shaft nut and handle.

Install the dust boot cover.

Install the rear wiper pivot arm. For additional information, refer to Wiper Pivot Arm — Rear in this section.
Open the liftgate.
Remove the rear window wiper motor aligning tool.

Open the liftgate glass.
Install the liftgate trim panel. Refer to Section 501-05.
Test the liftgate and liftgate glass for normal operation.
I think the disc "dohickey" may be the rear window wiper motor alignment tool you reference above.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:22 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
If you read the post I made with the 2003 instructions you will see it is an alignment tool included with the new motor...

Old 03-31-2005, 07:31 PM
mrslate
Junior User
If you read the post I made with the 2003 instructions you will see it is an alignment tool included with the new motor...

Yep. Thanks. Got it. Just not sure why I have to remove the striker assembly and latch from the glass and then reinstall it, but I guess I'll find that out when I start this project this weekend. Would seem to me that if the pin on the striker is aligned with the hole on the motor disc everything should work without removing the latch and striker from the glass, but maybe they don't line up at installation or something.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Wish I could tell you, but like I said, Ive done exactly one, and that was about a year ago. They have been very reliable compared to the early ones.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper quit working....