2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 SCrew in the rain?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:39 AM
NightReaver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SCrew in the rain?????

I was wondering how the SCrew handles in the rain.

I had an incident yesterday where I was at a corner waiting to turn right and took off over a small wet patch of asphault and my rear end almost got away from me.
Should I wait for this every wet patch or could it be my tires (Toyo Open Country's)

all welcome for you contributions

NightReaver
a.k.a. Richard
04 SCrew 4x4

p.s. Does 4wheel high help in the rain or is this something I shouldn't try'

Thanks again

Old 07-02-2004, 01:25 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
I use 4-H in the rain all the time and have never had that happen, but if i dont have it in 4h and i take off, my back tires spin real bad and i will fish tail, like you did. Only problem with using 4-h is its a lot harder to make sharp turns and it hurts your gas mileage. If you have Shift on the fly, you can use 4H to make take off and then turn it off once you get up to speed.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:42 PM
hovy
Senior User
I never would 4x4 in the rain unless I was on a icy or muddy dirt road....These systems aren't all wheel drive like some cars and not ment to be. All your doing is putting undue wear on your front end. Learn to be smooth with your throttle when it rains. Your truck will like you better!

Old 07-02-2004, 01:45 PM
ANAP
Senior User
Must be your tires......I got big Nittos on my truck and never had a problem with wet pavement. Even when it snowed a couple inches I tried hard to fish tail and could hardly do it in 2 wheel drive.

Hardly ever had to use 4 hi........basicaly used it just to see if it worked. Never needed it though.

I might next winter ...when it snows a foot or so.....

Old 07-02-2004, 02:03 PM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
Don't use 4WD on pavement Period! You will put unessesary strain on everything. I would'nt advise using it unless you are in mud,snow,dirt or gravel road. Put you truck in 4 low and drive about three feet on pavement. Feels weird yes? Your front and back gear ratios are not an exact match. That makes a crawling effect. Now in the mud there is less friction. 4WD is typically a lower front end range because the front is designed to pull while the rear end compliments it with a push.
Take your trans out of OD when you want a bit better control in the rain.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:07 PM
charlesh
Senior User
Richard,

I make the assumption that you have a limited slip (LS) rear end. A non LS will generally not do that. The first time that happened to me, it was scary. I have learned that LS has pluses and minuses. Quickly gunning the engine (or even just a fair amount of throttle) in a turn with a wet pavement or a loose pavement or an undulating surface will cause the rear of the truck to want come around and meet the front of the truck.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:10 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep the gas tank full to add some weight

Old 07-02-2004, 03:33 PM
"mad"
Junior User
Are you kidding me..... 4h on pavement in the rain???? Please don't do that... everything in your drive train will thank you.. C'mon, sounds like someone just needs to learn how to drive in the rain...
I live in the great Pacific Northwest and have yet to have my baby's rear-end even come close to washing out on me...
I would do the following:

Take it slow when accelerating on wet pavement.. I have the 18" wheel package and it seems to be a little stickier on pavement so I don't typically have that problem.. Heck, this truck hasn't even hydroplaned yet.. She is Awesome unpleasant weather especially less than favorable driving conditions..
Please do your truck a favor and smack the person in the head who told you it is OK to drive in 4 high on pavement...

Old 07-02-2004, 06:10 PM
asinatra
Senior User
LOL, learn how to drive, especially with the new throttle by wire because it is based on torque. (j/k) Just accelerate slowly.

Old 07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
"Slippery When Wet" has a meaning.

BTW, the Toyo's are excellent tires on wet surfaces.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:08 PM
jimmyj
Junior User
I have a SCab 5.4L 4x2 with 3.55L/S. It has an upgrade to Michelin P255/65RX17 all season tires. In 9,000 miles I have never had any hint of slipping whether starting or stopping in the rain. I keep the throttle reasonable and go for smoothness.

Lord knows we've had plenty of rain this past week in N. Texas.
It seemed like every street in town that had curbs also had 1-3" of runoff to drive through. At 10 mph in 3" of water I could give a Toyota a good carwash and three rinses in only 1/2 block!
No slips, drips or slides in the truck.

The sun is out now and the 4th of July weekend forecast is: Steam-dry.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:15 AM
EZLariat
Junior User
I would like to comment on some users saying to not use the 4x4 on the pavement, that it puts unessary strain on the truck. Well, that is wrong. The worst thing you can do to a vehicle is to let it just sit and not use it at all. The same goes for your 4 wheel drive. If you dont use it, it will never break in and when you do need it you wont work. I manage a repair shop and we get trucks all the time where there 4 wheel drive goes out because they never use it. Use your truck!!!! Its the best thing for it.

Old 07-03-2004, 03:14 PM
hovy
Senior User
I agree about running it a bit every month but find a gravel road or a beach to run it on...Also pavment is ok for a few miles as long as you don't make sharp turns....

Old 07-03-2004, 04:42 PM
chaseface84
Senior User
one reason for the slippage could be, if you live in a place like california there is alot of oil ang junk on the roads and when it hasnt rained in a while it can be a bit slippary when that stuff gets wetso the puddle you went thur got your tires wet and off you went

Old 07-04-2004, 12:53 AM
NightReaver
Senior User
Whoa Whoa Whao.....

I was just asking for opinions and not bashings
But i do appreciate the "Calm" responses
no really I appreciate all your comments.

I do know how to drive. I've driving for bout 20 years started when I was eight and could reach the pedal out in the wash around Walter's Camp (East of Glamis, way before Blythe.) I was just shocked is all I've had my truck for just over a month and normally only drive it on the weekend (Ranger is cheaper to drive for work.) The person that sugested the 4WH driving has used 4x4 but is in no way to me considered an offroader. I was just asking

again thank you all for your comments

Quick Reply: 04 SCrew in the rain?????