6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New Flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 07:37 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can either download or get CD's from Ford. Depends on what they spend their money on for computer/network. (That's the short answer.)

Old 07-01-2004, 09:01 PM
wildcat421
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new flash that SBV45 is talking about is just out. My truck is an April 04 build and this is the first flash available for my truck. Just one week ago apon my first visit to my dealer the flash wasnt available. However my truck was flashed this past Monday at the dealer. I'm sure your dealer will find the flash.

Last edited by wildcat421; 07-01-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Superduper
Junior User
new flash info

Thanks all you guys for all your knowledge and most of all for being willing to take the time to share it. This was very helpful to me. You know, I think it is important for the writers and techs. at the dealership to think you have some awareness of what's going on when you trying to get a difficult situation resolved. Those service writer guys are not very knowledgable and they try to bluff sometimes with some bad info., like insisting that the oil that Ford has them use for diesel oil chages is synthetic only etc.

I will know tomorrow the results and post it.

S.D.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:54 PM
wildcat421
Senior User
hey S.D.
They did have to keep my truck for two days. There were no fault codes on my truck either. The tech installed a recorder box and drove the truck until it recorded the problem I was having. Once he had it recorded he was able to trace the problem/problems.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:54 AM
20046.0PSDX
Senior User
I was having serious rough idle/surging issues, accompanied by occasional white exhaust smoke. I took my X in late this week and had it flashed. The SM handed me the keys and said, "you'll notice a big difference." I sure have in 3 days of driving so far. I swear it sounds different....more like a diesel and a little louder, not exhaust but from under the hood. Not a bad thing, it justs sounds different (maybe I got used to the gas-burning Nissan Frontier I drove all day!!! Yikes!). There is a definite improvement in the throttle response. Maybe I had pilot-inj and was not aware of it. Prior to reflash, while idling in nuetral when you lightly stepped on the throttle, the sound changed "tones" altogether. Now, it just gets progressively faster and louder...like normal revving of any motor (diesel or gas). It idles very smoothly and runs pretty strong. The only negative I've noticed is the lie-o-meter does show about a 1 mpg decrease in mileage so far both highway and city. That's OK as I'd give up more than that for the overall improvement. BTW I think my X shows a Jan '04 build date. Someone addressed a problem w/ idling earlier in this post and questioned whether there was any difference while running a Predator tune and my answer would be no...the problems that exist w/ a stock tune are present just the same w/ a nasty, strong Predator tune. I guess a building is only as strong as the foundation its built on.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:49 PM
matt1751
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to give it a few more days till I gave my update on my flash I had on Thurday for my surging issue but "20046.0PSDX "took the words right out of my mouth. So far truck has been running great, has not surged since flash, I've noticed better throttle response and smoother/quicker acceleration off the line. Also is louder while ideling(Engine noise) . you can tell its a diesel now. So far I am very pleased with this new Flash and will be starting to look into getting Exhaust and tuner soon if I have no further issue's. truck just turned 10k miles this weekend and been very happy with it,, I will checked my MPG over my next 2 fill ups to see if there are any changes and post them as well .truck is going back in on Tuesday as there is a TSB for the CAC tube clamps, I'm hoping its the one where the intercooler tube connects to the manifold, they said it was but will see. Apparently my 1/21/04 build just fell in on the dates for the TSB. I will try to get a copy of it and post it on Tue. thanks again for everyone's input as it was much appriciated,,

Old 07-04-2004, 04:39 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep,
sounds like you both lost the pilot injection and I fear you'll find u lost a few mpg as well,,,

the pilot injection is gone for good,
but you can get a few mpg back with a diablo predator AND get some serious Big-6oh's grins with the new found drivability

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 07-04-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
After a little break from moving I got a chance to do some research on what has been done to my 04 F250 CC 6.0L. Production date is 10-25-03. Had a flash done in April for "issues" even tho they were specifically instructed not to. Truck continued with surging problem and dead pedal issues. I assume this was the December reflash ford came out with for the 04 trucks ( I do have an 04 motor and discovered the 6.0L bible pictures are wrong since the ICP sensor is relocated to the right front valve cover). The truck was reflashed again on 7/05/04 with the latest reflash from ford and cured the throttle surging/dead pedal issues. I have no idea what flash numbers were loaded--the oasis report doesn't say and neither tech. put the decal under the hood like they were supposed to. My only question is where the production date on the motor is--is the label on the back of the left valve cover next to the firewall or the label on the rear of the left valve cover that is visible from the left side of the truck? Don't know that it matters a lot, but I do know it is an 04 motor because of the relocation of the ICP sensor in the right front of the valve cover--at least according to the technician who told me the 03 motors had ICP sensor located at back of the motor under the turbo. Is this correct?

Old 07-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Ducster1
Senior User
I am currently having the surging problem on my 04 PSD CC. 04-04 motor 7500 miles. Took it to the Ford Dealership and they check for codes and found nothing. They installed the new flash and claimed it would fix the problem. I drove the truck for 2 days then the surging began. I will need to pick up the recorder and drive the truck around since the Diesel tech could not make the truck duplicate the the surging problem.

I too was at a stop lights and the truck jumped forward.....good thing there was no pedestrian crossing.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:29 AM
Ghoffman
Senior User
I have been having the surging at idle since day one. Truck will surge 400 rpms at a stoplight and you have to increase pressure on the brake to keep it from moving forward. But I have been really afraid to flash till now. Sounds like this is the ticket. Also, the pedal is really dead when the truck is cold... Has any noticed an improvement in cold performance?

Also, has anyone had a chance to check the real mileage after the flash...compared to before (not just overhead readings).

Going on a 1500 mile trip in 10 days...sure would like to do it before then, if I'm going to do it.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:03 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
When it does that, turn it off at the light and re-start...see if that stops it.
Do it as soon as you notice it happening.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Ghoffman
Senior User
Smile

Tim, I'll try it....just wondering why that would help?

Old 07-15-2004, 07:17 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghoffman
Tim, I'll try it....just wondering why that would help?
….you are rebooting the computer….the romp and bucking and…it has worded for everyone.
I have had mine buck once at 70mph, pulled over did it and never happened again.
Hope it will work for you

Old 07-15-2004, 07:48 AM
matt1751
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ghoffman
I have been having the surging at idle since day one. Truck will surge 400 rpms at a stoplight and you have to increase pressure on the brake to keep it from moving forward. But I have been really afraid to flash till now. Sounds like this is the ticket. Also, the pedal is really dead when the truck is cold... Has any noticed an improvement in cold performance?

Also, has anyone had a chance to check the real mileage after the flash...compared to before (not just overhead readings).

Going on a 1500 mile trip in 10 days...sure would like to do it before then, if I'm going to do it.
I was having the same problems, Had the Flash done on July 1 as I stated in a previous post and have had no problems since, I have noticed better cold acceleration too and my mileage is still the same or better. I have hand calculated my mileage almost since day one and keep a log. I do a mix of driving and usually get between 15-17mpg. I have never gotten less then 15mpg except when towing. If you get the flash make sure its the latest one, not all dealers update often enough. when I had mine done the unit the tech was using on my truck did not have the latest version and he had to update it before doing my truck. I think it was Ver. 31.11. its been 2 weeks now since I did it and no complaints, truck is running great

Old 07-15-2004, 07:58 AM
dlkennedy
New User
For those that have gotten the latest flash. What does your reflash sticker say? The dealership recently reflashed my truck, but I'm not sure it is the latest flash.

Quick Reply: New Flash