Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

'94 Explorer Transmission ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:20 PM
dledge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '94 Explorer Transmission ?s

I have a '94 Explorer Sport - 2wd 4.0, I was told the tranmssion had busted a band and it would be about 2 G to rebuild it.
My questions are:

What is the part # of the transmission so I can look for a used one.
What other vehicles have the same tranny?
Also is it possible to rebuild the tranny myself or is that something I have to have a mechanic do.

Also if anyone out there has a used tranny they want to unload hitme up.

Thanks
Cliff

Old 08-29-2002, 04:46 PM
ckrichard
Elder User

The tranny is the A4LD. The tag on the trany is 'T'
91-94 explorers and rangers i know have the same tranny. There are probily others cars that have the same tranny, but i do not know of them.
This is not something you should do. Take it to a good mechanic.

Chris

Old 08-29-2002, 05:40 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also suggest searching this board for trans related problems. There is a lot of info where trans shops say you need a replacement, and it turns out to be something more minor. You might want to post the symptoms to get some feedback....

Old 08-29-2002, 07:00 PM
phatpharm85
Elder User

My grandmother started having trouble with her late 80'ss???? hundai, she called the dealer and they told her it needs a new transmission $2 grand. the car only has 40000 miles on it, shes the only owner and is your classic grandma when it comes to driving. We took it to a well known shop and it turned out to be some seals on the clutches. The dealer didnt even want to look at it. The guy said no matter what it is they just put in a new tranny. The shop had it done in a day and for my guess is half the price.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:09 AM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've heard, the A4LD even extends into the 80's behind the 2.9 L engine in BII's and Rangers. If you get a used transmission, be sure you know what it came off of. If you don't, you may end up with an old A4LD that was built to withstand the stresses of a 2.9 L engine, and you will likely be shopping for another transmission in the near future.

Old 08-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Opera House Works
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Aug-02 AT 12:04 PM (EST)]After I get back from vacation I'm going to rebuild my 92 Explorer A4LD. How hard can it be, only 197 different parts. Even my dentist rebuilds them. The last time it was rebuilt by an expert, it only lasted 14 months before OD went out. This one is trickier than some and they are different depending on year and engine. Good source for parts is bulkparts.com ATSG manual is only $16 and unlike other transmissions there is an extra book just for upgrades and mods (another $16). Go to www.atcdg.com and click on tech for problems. I think the key is to have a lot of time and a lot of space. Not something you want to do if it has to be working in 3 days. I figure, whats a 92 Explorer worth with a bad transmission. Got to be worth more even with the transmission pulled out in pieces in the back. Think of all the new tools you get to buy. Do it for science.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 AM
Bill4Ford
New User
Post '94 Explorer Transmission ?s

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2002, 12:19 PM
dsmith1484
Senior User

A couple of things regarding the Trans in my 94.

1. I had a problem with it slipping / stuttering in OD and I was almost ready to take it to the shop. I then listened Very carefully to the car while it was idling and herd a hissing. It turned out to be a vacuum line on the drivers side of the motor had melted and burned through. I replaced the line and no more Trans problem. Dealer estimate to fix $2,200. Actual cost $.50 (6 inches of silicon vacuum line)

2. I have read that the Trans is very sensitive to the amperage / voltage of the electrical system. I have herd of alternators that were on there way out that were causing the Trans to do strange things. check the alternator output before you replace the Trans

3. If your truck has ever backfired at start up (up through the intake) It can blow the vacuum line of the diaphragm on the side of the Trans causing it not to shift from gear to gear and or shift real hard. This happened to me and again I limped it in to the dealer(a different dealer) and again was told that a new Trans was needed. I declined there offer and limped the car home. After a little thought I called my local mechanic and asked if these trucks have the diaphragm on the trans. He did not know but let me put the truck on his lift so we could find out. Sure enough hidden under a heat shield there it was and the vacuum line was off. I replaced the line about a 3 inch piece that connects to a steel line that runs to the intake manifold. zip tied it in place and it problem fixed. This by the way was probably an on going problem because the truck was shifting much smoother that I can ever remember. Downshifts area also greatly improved. Ohya the cost for this fix was a bottle of 12 Year old scotch and a gift certificate for my local mechanic and his wife to go to the local fish restaurant

To summaries. I have learned that there are allot of other systems in these trucks that can cause the Trans to act like it needs replacement. start with vacuum systems and then check the electrical.

Respectfully,

Dean

Old 11-02-2002, 04:16 PM
Opera House Works
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Nov-02 AT 05:19 PM (EST)]I've been taking my time because the car has been off the road for a year prior to working on the transmission. Just putting the A4LD back together now. Taking them out is a little bit of a pain but they are a dream to work on. I can't believe they are so easy to work on and CHEAP. Total rebuild cost with hard parts and new torque converter is $300. I found all the mistakes the last rebuilder did to save money. I will never let anyone else rebuild another transmission of mine. In a couple of weeks, I will be doing a friend's Jeep transmission. If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can do this. I do understand that many do not have the physical location or the ability to be without a vehicle for a period of time, but technically it is not beyond the ability of an average person with patience.