1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:23 PM
jwt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear axle

Does any one out there know what rear axle or axles were used on the 72 Ford 1 ton? I'm trying to conver a 1972 Revcon motorhome to dual rear wheels and it appears that the rear brakes they used come from a 72 Ford one ton. I'd like to find the parts to change to an eight lug dually set from the large truck five lug drums that are on the rig now. I'm also interested in going to rear disc brakes but will settle for drums in the mean time. Any help I can get in the form of contacts, advise or sources will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2004, 03:23 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If it's five lug, it's probably a Spicer axle, not sure of the model number. You might be able to convert it to D60 outers if the spindles are the same size, but you will probably have to change out the axles and everything. It may be cheaper and easier to go to the junkyard and get the dually wheels for that axle, or just change the whole thing out for a D60 or D70.

Old 06-20-2004, 12:58 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> it appears that the rear brakes they used come from a 72 Ford one ton

It is probably a Dana 44 if has 5 lugs and a removable cover on the back of the axle, if it has a third member it is a 9 inch. Probably the cheapest and best way to add full float 8 lug dual rear wheels is to get an axle from underneath a late model ambulance that has them. That way you get the width you need for the motorhome body, most likely a Dana 60/70.