Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cranking vs idling

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
doodel2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking cranking vs idling

I am new to everything...Diesel...this forum ...and fifth wheels...so this is probably like a first grade or kindergarten question....but we all start somewhere...
what are some of you fellas' philosophy concering cranking or idling...my neighbor who has never owned a diesel either informs me to let it idle and keep the cranking down as much as possible..."its hard on'em to crank"...what do you do..and when should I let it idle or crank up again....its a F-250 7.3L...I did search this forum looking but could not find a clue at all...
thanks

Old 06-16-2004, 01:41 PM
mtncrawler
Senior User
Normally I shut mine down if it's gonna be more than 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes longer if it's real cold out. Mine doesn't crank very long before it fires, I just like to minimize glo-plug cycles. Idling seems to use almost as much fuel as driving and it's probably overfueling at least a little.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I normally idle mine for short periods of time i.e. running in to the local minimart to pick up a 6-pack but don't let it idle for extended periods of time. You should only let it idle if you can keep the EGT high enough to prevent wet stacking. In colder weather it is not a great idea to idle your truck to let it "warm up" unless you have an auxillary idle controlller to raise the RPM and therefore raise the EGT. Diesels won't truly warm up unless they are driven. Even plugging mine in and letting it idle in freezing weather didn't get it close to being fully warmed up.

If you want to idle your truck for longer periods of time, I suggest that you get an auxillary idle controller. You can either buy one or make one for about $20 of parts. If you want to make one, I or someone else can provide weblinks for you on the "how-to." If you want to idle the truck to warm up, you should also use the auxillary idle controller. Just my opinion which I hope is worth at least $.02.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:52 PM
belz
Senior User
Hey johndiesel. Can u post those links or email them to me. Mine I leave mine idleing sometimes.

Old 06-16-2004, 05:03 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
HERE it is.

Old 06-16-2004, 05:08 PM
mtncrawler
Senior User
Some years ago I read a report written by continental aircraft reguarding cold starts on small gasoline engines in Cessna's & Piper's & such. The test measured wear differences between starting and letting the engine idle to opperating temperature as opposed to starting, high idle for a short period to circulate oil, taxi out and take off. It was basicly a wash. Putting a load on a cold engine created more wear for a short time and keeping it at idle made it wear less but for longer. Now this test was, once again, performed on gas powered engines and like Johndiesel says diesels don't warm up as well without a load. I use the AC block heater alot in the winter for the initial start.

Old 06-16-2004, 05:11 PM
mtncrawler
Senior User
O I forgot to ask, Johnsdiesel, what is wet stacking? Is that some sort of fuel loading?

Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Wet stacking happens when combustion temperatures are too low and unburned fuel makes its way into the oil.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:26 PM
97forddokey
New User
Its best not to idle it for long periods of time it gets really hot and can do some damage to the engine and other componets. Idle it for short periods of time and it will extend the life of you truck. Dont sit there and let crank over and over and over again, it is very, very hard on the batteries, starter, and the engine. Crank it a few secs, let it set a few secs, then crank it a few more secs. Do this a couple of times. When your truck is cold or is hard to start, turn the key on to where the 'WAIT TO START' light comes on and as soon as it goes off quickly turn the key off then back on, do this 4 or 5 times. This will keep the heater on your engine going longer and eventually warm the fuel enough to start the truck.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:35 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I was doing some reading the other day, sitting in a semi at work with the tender tank for the sprayer so I had a lot of free time, and I was reading through all the literature about the semi tractor. They recommend that you don't let the engine idle for long periods of time, because it can drop below operating temperature (60+ degrees below) and it can cause the piston rings to gum up, coke the injectors and just the torsional vibration from the engine can give the transmission undue wear. I'm assuming it would be similar for the PSD. I never knew that it was bad for a diesel to idle for an extended period of time, you always see semis sitting in a lot running. They said if you do need to idle for an extended amount of time, have the idle turned up, as is being discussed here, to keep it at operating temperature and keep the oil flowing. Just thought I'd share some new information I learned.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:49 PM
97forddokey
New User
You see the idleing for long periods of time is bad for a PICKUP. Semis are built to take long-period idles, that is why some of them have a HIGH IDLE switch. they are built that way because the idle like when the driver is sleeping or waiting on a load. but it is hard on a pickup truck with a diesel in it to idle for a long period. it is just not built for that. but you can have this one deal put in them so that you can leave them idleing, this is mostly for commercial pickups.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 PM
jamesj
Mountain Pass
Related Question, If The Engine Is Still Warm, Is It Safe To Start The Engine Before The Wait To Start Light Goes Out? Thanks,

Old 06-16-2004, 07:19 PM
pioneer_plowboy
Freshman User
would this idle controller work on other trucks too, besides the powerstrokes?
we use our ranger 4x4 as a utility truck, and use inverters to run welders and power tools while working on the farm, but we keep draining the battery

Old 06-16-2004, 07:24 PM
stealth1
Senior User
There have been guys on here that don't wait for the light if it is still warm and they have never had a lick of trouble. 6 mo. ago I was a newbie to diesels and waited every single time. I'm slowly getting out of that after reading some posts here. If my motor was having a tough time starting after it was shutdown I would probably let the plugs warm up. Here in south tx. we don't have too much of a problem with things cooling down. But on the first start in the mornings I always wait before I start. I guess it's all what your comfortable with.

Old 06-17-2004, 12:43 AM
Birken Vogt
Senior User
I don't wait for the light on mine, ever, unless it is the first cold start of the morning. I don't idle it, either, if I am not in the seat the engine is off basically. As a wise man once said, starters and ring gears are cheaper than pistons and cylinders

Birken

Quick Reply: cranking vs idling