General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Greenwood(CCA) splinter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:18 AM
shaggymane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenwood(CCA) splinter

Keeping the story short I got a small splinter from some new greenwood. It was only about 1/8th inch long and didn't really go in deep. I've had plenty of splinters, they fester a bit and then come out easily. This one didn't get infected or red or hurt more than normal.
Problem is, as it healed it started to grow until i have a callouse looking bump the size of a dime about 1/4 inch tall an the side of my index finger right where it's used to turn bolts and such. At which time i find it's kinda too tender to grip the bolt head with any strength.

So I guess now, i gotta go to a doc and find out what's up with this. It is just like a callous in that if you cut it down it grows back.
I did a search for more info.

4) "On 5/16/95 a person received a splinter from CCA treated wood which then developed into a severe infection requiring surgery. Dorsal cellulitis, ascending lympangitis, and acute tenosynovitis were reported."

What is CCA Treated Wood?The CCA preservative known as chromated copper arsenate, is a mixture of arsenic, copper oxide, chromic acid and water for use in wood products and lumber, which, when infused into the wood and/or lumber, creates a treated wood commonly known under various names including: (i) "Wolmanized pressure-treated wood", (ii) "Wolmanized pressure-treated lumber", (iii) "Osmose K-33 treated wood", (iv) "green lumber", (v) "green wood", (vi) "salt-treated wood", (vii) "salt-treated lumber", (viii) "pressure treated wood" and/or (ix) "pressure treated lumber" (referred to collectively as "Treated Wood").

CCA, the chemical solution used in the wood treatment process, contains the chemical elements arsenic, chromium and copper chemicals that enter the human body in any of four ways, (i) skin absorption, (ii) breathing, (iii) ingestion into the body, or (iv) penetration of the skin. The form of arsenic used in the wood-treating solution is water soluble pentavelant arsenic. The arsenic compounds are arsenic pentoxide, arsenic acid, sodium arsenate or disodium hydrogen arsenate. During the fixation process, a portion of the pentavalent arsenic also transforms into trivalent arsenic. Both are toxic, though trivalent arsenic is generally recognized as more toxic to humans. The chromium used in the wood treatment process is water soluble hexavalent chromium ("Hexavalent Chromium") in the form of chromic acid, sodium dichromate, potassium dichromate, or sodium chromate. Hexavalent Chromium is the form of chromium most toxic to humans. During the fixation process, most Hexavalent Chromium becomes trivalent chromium.

I think that hexavalent Chromiun was what the Erin Brockovich movie was all about.
Don't think i want to quit using it cause it's so good for ground contact
but be carefull using it

Last edited by shaggymane; 06-16-2004 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Was the splinter from the NEW greenwood or the OLD CCA?

Old 06-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This does not sound like better living thru chemistry.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:43 AM
shaggymane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the splinter was from the new greenwood. Got it while out at lowes picking through the wood. I was going after precut porch stiles (think thats what they are called) to use as stakes for my tomatoe cages. the banding used for bundling cut into one that formed the corner of the bundle. The bad part of the board was face down in the pile so i couldn't see it. I pulled it out of the stores bin and let it slide through my fingers. It slid real nice till the splinter part hit.

For anyone who doesn't know Don't burn greenwood. the fumes will make ya sick. No i didn't try that. Guy at the forestry dump told me that. Anyone who's downwind will get sick from the fumes.