Sponsored by: DP Tuner

code scanner for F250 7.3 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:23 AM
ranlyn54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
code scanner for F250 7.3 diesel

This board has been very helpful, but I still have not gotten my F250 superduty 2000 7.3 diesel truck running. I put in a new CMP sensor and that didn't do it. I bought a Equus code reader only to discover that this vehicle is not OBD11 compliant and the code reader won;t read any codes. The service engine light has come on during this problem, so I'm sure it has thrown some code. Equus tech support said I need a code scanner, which they don't make. All I am coming across is the Diablo super microtuners that read codes for the 7.3 diesel. I don't have a powerchip and I don't really need a microtuner, just a code scanner. Does anyone know of a scanner that will read codes on this vehicle. Thanks for the help
Randi
ranlyn54@yahoo.com

Old 06-14-2004, 11:20 AM
CLK
Senior User
I have an Autotap scanner it works with my laptop. It can read any code from these trucks, you can also use them to monitor anything on the vehicle while it is running. It costs about $350. Probably one of the best tools I have bought for working on tse trucks. There are a couple of others out there the only problem is finding one that will read all of the codes of these trucks, I'll try to find the information on the others when i was reasearching them and e-mail it to you.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:52 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
See if you can find a friend with a SCMT or Diablo Predator made for a Ford and It will work fine. If you are led to believe you will need a code reader frequently and need to buy one, the SCMT or Predator are still competitively priced with just the Readers, and atleast you have an option to utilize the power if you want to.......The predator also monitors all the vehicles sensors while its running and can be downloaded to software on your computer or laptop.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User
Originally Posted by ranlyn54
This board has been very helpful, but I still have not gotten my F250 superduty 2000 7.3 diesel truck running. I put in a new CMP sensor and that didn't do it. I bought a Equus code reader only to discover that this vehicle is not OBD11 compliant and the code reader won;t read any codes. The service engine light has come on during this problem, so I'm sure it has thrown some code. Equus tech support said I need a code scanner, which they don't make. All I am coming across is the Diablo super microtuners that read codes for the 7.3 diesel. I don't have a powerchip and I don't really need a microtuner, just a code scanner. Does anyone know of a scanner that will read codes on this vehicle. Thanks for the help
Randi
ranlyn54@yahoo.com
No, no...You are badly mistaken.
By federal regulation, all vehicles since 1997 are OBD-II, and many made before that are. There is no way that your 2000 PSD s not OBD-II compliant. The diesel tuners that access the ECU via the OBD-II connectors all work on ANY Powerstroke since 1994. My wife's '96 F-250 is OBD-II. YOUR 2000 is OBD-II !

-----------------------------------
2002 F-250 4x4 S/Cab PSD. Many mods.

Last edited by Paarrothead; 06-14-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:35 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with PH - any OBDII scanner should pull codes for you. I have a cheap Actron reader that works fine.

You could try stopping at the nearest AutoZone - they'll pull the codes for you free.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:02 AM
CLK
Senior User
Some how I lost the first part of my post.

You have to be careful buying the scanners form autoparts stores sometimes the do not tell you that they only read generic codes. Which "does not include" most of the error codes that are specific to our trucks. There are only a few scanners/code readers that will have all of the specific codes. The Diablo or the Superchips (which I have) has the specific codes for our trucks. As biddieseldave they are a great investment and it kills two birds with one stone.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Craze
Senior User
Hey Clk I see you have an Autotap. How do you like it? I am thinking of buying one. Is it worth the investment?

Old 06-15-2004, 08:29 AM
CLK
Senior User
It is very nice, you can monitor anything on these trucks with it. It is very helpful with sensors or switches that are giving you an intermittent problem. I have used it more helping out friends diagnose problems than using it on my own truck, although from what I have used it has saved me from going to the dealership for a couple of problems. It has been very much worth the investment. Just make sure that if you get one that you get the Ford service modules to go with the base program.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Craze
Senior User
You quoted a cost of $350 but I see you can get them for as low as $180. Did you get modules for enhanced data? If so are they really all that helpful? How old is your device?
Oh, BTY I’m a computer fixer and have a long history (30+ years) of troubleshooting and repairing electronic equipment so I know that the more raw data you can acquire the better your chances are for fixing something.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:44 AM
CLK
Senior User
The price was with the base unit and the enhaced modules for Ford and GM. Yes, you want to get the enhance data module for Ford. It has all of the extras for the diesels. The base program only has 4 or 5 codes that it will pick up. I have had it for about 6 or 8 months. I know what you mean I am an engineer (process/product failure analysis) and the more data the eaiser it is to pinpoint the problem, that is why I bought the Autotap.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Craze
Senior User
Great! Thanks for all the info CLK.
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:14 AM
CLK
Senior User
No problem, glad to be able to help

Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM
jeldreth
New User
my 2001 f250 7.3 wont start. I keep it plugged up at work and water got on the cord and the outlet and the outlet i had it plugged into tripped and ever since then my truck has not started. my wait to start light wont come on but it sounds like my glow plugs ARE warming. and my service engine soon light came on. it will crank but wont start. some people have said its my computer but i don't want to spend $500 on a new computer if i can just see if it tripped a code and fix it that way. any ideas!?!?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
jeldreth, welcome to FTE!

You just brought up a 6 year old thread to ask a question about your truck. Not necessarily a bad thing, but since it's such an old thread, and it doesn't add anything relevant to the thread, you should start your own thread to ask your question. That way all the experts here can post up and get you pointed in the right direction!

Stewart

Old 03-14-2010, 04:20 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome jeldreth also, I get a kick out of it when I see old threads reincarnated, its all good. I agree with Stewart, copy and paste your question and insert it in your own thread, help will be by soon..

Quick Reply: code scanner for F250 7.3 diesel