Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

94 explorer EGR valve question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 11:45 PM
desperado
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

We replaced an EGR valve on a 94 explorer (codes said it was not good), we had te replace the tube going from the valve to the manifold, now that all is done we still get the egr code, I was told at the dealer that the egr valves need to be calibrated to the vehicle (we bough a standard unit ), is this possible ? the check engine light still comes on, what else could we do ? do we really need the dealers calibrated egr valve ?

thanks

Old 07-08-2001, 12:25 AM
lt
Junior User

Have you cleared the codes? You can disconnect the battery.... this works. Then drive it for a few miles and see if the check engine light still comes on.

Good Luck.
Larry

Old 07-08-2001, 09:13 AM
desperado
5th Wheeling

Hi

The battery was disconected for 15 minutes, when going on the test drice the check engine light almost immediatly appeared, codes were checked and the following came up: 33 and 332

Is there a way to "calibrate" this EGR valve or must we buy the dealers one ?

thanks

Old 07-08-2001, 09:58 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-Jul-01 AT 11:11 AM (EST)[/font][p]Check to make sure the Evr solenoid is operating & opening the Egr valve . I couldnt find any reference to the egr's having to be calibrated . Is the aftermarket one of the same design as the original one ?

Old 07-08-2001, 11:08 AM
lt
Junior User

Recheck all of the connections, Vacuum lins and sensor plugs. My 1990 F250 has 1 of each on the egr valve. Maybe the vacuum line has a crack in it?

Good Luck
Larry

Old 07-09-2001, 10:20 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EGR valves are often specific to a particular engine series and application, but I haven't heard of calibrating one once it is on a vehicle. My SHO had two different EGR valves called out for that model year and engine, ie they were calibrated to a specific series. I had to give the dealer my VIN number to get the specific EGR valve for that engine. I would guess the engineers tweak the code and/or other components in the model line as the year goes by. On Chebbies, the EGR valves can be differnt for the same engine depending on which body type and what kind of exhaust was used. BTW this can also be true for O2 sensors, so it helps to know what specific combo you have.

BTW on the SHO there is PFE(Pressure Feedback Emitter) I think I got the acronymn and name correct, that controls how the EGR works and it will send an EGR code if it is failing. That might be what is on your truck. The SHO manual had absolutely no mention of this component and I found out about it by luck and the help of a friend.

Hope this helps a little.

Jim Henderson

Old 07-10-2001, 12:36 PM
stevieray
Senior User

Hi . I had a similar problem with my '93 f-150 with a 5.0. Your codes indicate that the egr did no open. What I did with mine was I supplied engine vacuum to the egr direct and when I did the engine ran real rough telling me that did open letting exhaust into the intake system. Next i took the sender off the top of the egr valve and tested it with a multi meter by pushing the rod up and down and the values reading on the meter changed so I figured that it was O.K. too. Next I checked all tha vacuum lines for leaks and found none. Next was the evr valve up by the coil. I removed this valve and found that you can take the top and bottom off if you are VERY carefull not to break the plastic clips. Having the plastic warm helps. When I took the top off I found a small foam filter and it was filthy so I cleaned it. When I took the bottom off there is a small spring and a rubber coated disk. The disk had a small piece of crud stuck in it so it could not seal off properly. I clreaned this too and re-assembled the valve an put it back in and hooked it all back up and Bingo! no moe problems. Be carefull when taking the bottom part off so you can disassemble it in the proper order for reassembing it . I hope this is of some help for you. SR.

Old 01-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Laine
New User

Hi desperado -

Did you solve your EGR problem?

I've got the same problem on a '96 Explorer XLT. Mine's OBD2, which gives a code P0402 (excessive EGR flow at idle). I replaced EGR vacuum solenoid and EGR position sensor, but light still comes on.

Also, where is your EGR located? Mine's on the back of the intake (next to firewall). The lower mounting bolt is tucked back in a little hollow, impossible to get to! How did you change it?

Thanks.
Laine

Old 01-07-2003, 11:03 AM
CMCI
New User

hello ,
I have a 99 explorer XLT. it seems as though i'm having the same problems. i have no resolution yet.

Old 01-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Laine
New User

btw, I figured out how to change it.

Now I've swapped out the EGR, vacuum solenoid, position sensor and the vacuum line from solenoid to EGR, & I'm STILL getting P0402 - Excessive EGR flow at idle.

I think I'm going crazy...

Old 01-16-2003, 11:39 AM
SR77
Freshman User

Laine
Did you ever fix your erg problem yet. I got the same code as yours and i was just about to order a new valve and sensor from carparts.com.

Old 01-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Dialtone
Elder User