2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 PM
bfab3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question vibration

Has anyone with the vibration problem get it fixed yet and if so how and what fixed it.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Droog
Junior User
Not trying to be mean, but try the search feature near the top of this page

Old 06-09-2004, 04:12 AM
newtof150
Senior User
With Ford guidance, my dealer has tried a new steering rack, driveshaft, tires, and road force balance(s) on my truck. None have significantly resolved the vibration issue.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:36 AM
joe martin
Freshman User
vibration-gone

Save yourself alot of agrevation:Allow the dealership 3 attempts to repair
the problem ,always look over the invoice after each repair to be sure it states exactly the problem you stated,after three attempts call the 800 # in your ford manual and order a form to start the DSB process.when your notified of a hearing date ,take the time and attend,have all your documentation prepared ,this site and the NHSTB and other websites are a good source for documentation.You present a solid case ,they will drive the vehicle and feel it vibrating ,and you should be fine.I know because I did it.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:16 AM
Labrador
Senior User
I sent my paper work to the Dispute Settlement Board yesterday. I'm requesting that the DSB make Ford buy back my truck. Here is copy of my cover letter:

Dispute Settlement Board:

A few months have passed since I submitted my first application to the DSB. I received a letter in March stating that I did not send in the required Georgia Application Waiver Form. Included with my letter and my original application was another persons DSB application & paper work. I called the other applicant located in Georgia and mailed their forms at my own expense. I would like to change my original request from a oral presentation by phone to in person.

I waited from the end of November 2003 until February 20, 2004 to meet with an authorized Ford rep. The FSE-FMC Ford field rep drove my 2004 Scab on February 20, 2004 with my service manager. I told him about some of the serious problems and my likes and dislikes of my Ford truck:
1. Steering wheel nibble from 65 up to 80mph.
2. Driveline vibration from 45 to 65 mph. The vibration can be felt in the floorboard, center console and steering wheel.
3. Steering wheel shaking violently while braking.
4. I can close the rear doors without any door ajar warning or lights coming on. The door looks closed from the outside and I can not shake the door but I can hear a wind leak noise while driving and the door will rattle over small bumps sounding like a very deep base drum. If I slam the rear door hard it will not leak wind or cause the rattle.
5. The front seat bottoms are very uncomfortable with no thigh support and will make my right leg numb while using the gas pedal for an extended period of time causing driver fatigue.

After driving my truck the Ford rep said he could do something about the brakes but he would do nothing about the nibble, driveline vibration or the rear doors. The Ford rep would not authorize any more warranty work on my truck. He told me if I was not happy that I could go before the DSB. I told the Ford rep that I had done some research on the Web and found several non Ford Motor Co. sponsorship Ford Truck Enthusiast web sites that had 04 truck owners with the same problems as my truck. You can find some of the postings enclosed with my application.

I emailed my service manager the week of February 23 with some of the links from some Ford Truck Enthusiast web sites. Included were some TSBs on driveline vibration, rebounce, brake rotors and a NHTSA complaint of the rear door top latch not locking in the Scab trucks. He told me that he would look for some more TSBs. My dealer replaced the driveshaft, road forced balanced tires again and installed an antivibration kit. The Steering wheel nibble was reduced but not eliminated. I still had the Driveline Vibration from 45 to 65 mph and the “Antivibration Kit” made the slight bumps more noticeable. The Ford rep will not approve any more repairs to my truck.

After some more research on the Web I found a company that Ford hired to manufacture “Driveline Damper Components”. The company is Eagle Picher Automotive and I’m including a News Release from the company about their work with Ford on the 2004 F-150 truck. I found it very interesting that if Ford has no “Vibration Problems” why hire Eagle Picher Automotive to make components to help stop driveline vibration?

I made a very important financial decision to buy my first Ford product. I expect quality, safety and a fair shake from Ford Motor Company. My driveline vibration is very annoying and is not normal. The rear door not latching without an alarm is a safety concern, my 2 year old son rides with we just about every day to work. In case of an accident would the cab stay intact if the door latches fail? I wonder what the long term effects of all the driveline vibration may be on life of my 2004 Ford Truck.
I would like Ford to buy back my truck.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:10 AM
imarockstacker
New User
Labrador,

Excellent and cogent letter. I hope you achieve the intended results without having to resort to litigation.