Not sure what the turbo noise is????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Mlarp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Not sure what the turbo noise is????

I have a 99.5 Powerstroke. Have done some recent mods including an AFE intake 4" turbo back, Gauges and An Evolution. Under load(Fifth Wheel) and heavy acceleration I get a load flutter between shifts. The boost guage flutters also and it sounds like bearings to me. Am I on the right track??? I have about 85K on the truck and don't need to ruin anything else in the process. I would like to take care of this as soon as possible..

Thanks Todd

Old 06-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Go to the 7.3 Power Stroke forum, I have seen posts there about this problem.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It's turbo flutter, seriously that's the technical term for it. The p/s's do it really bad when you start modifying them, due to an overly sensative wastegate. Installing the Banks big head wastegate controller usually fixes it.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:40 PM
merlin1gsd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mlarp, that flutter you are seeing is turbo surge. Its a condition almost always brought on by mods. It is a very bad thing for the turbo. It can cause the turbo shaft to break. There are a couple of ways to get rid of it. One is to install a wicked wheel (type of turbo compressor wheel) or a Ported compressor housing such as Banks or ATS. Wicked wheel0 about $70.00 but harder install. Housing-$425.00 and easy install. Sorry to have to bring you this news but those are the only options available to fix it. Be advised it will lunch the turbo eventually probably sooner than later.

Sorry fellas the waste gate is only there to dump boost when you get to 25 psi. Thats Garretts absolute max for these turbos. Stock you can't get much over 17 psi but with mods considerably higher. I had to go to a Big Head and adjust it to 25 since my OEM waste gate actuator couldn't hold closed much past 20-21 psi.

Last edited by merlin1gsd; 06-20-2004 at 01:44 PM.