Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replacement Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 03:49 PM
rlelvis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Batteries

I have a 94 F350 Indirect Turbo that is in need of new batteries. I live in northern New York and my truck gets it's fair share of cold weather starts each year. What should I look for in a battery? Should I pay extra for specialty/commercial batteries or should I go to any old auto parts store and buy there recomended batt's at a lower cost? If anybody has experience or info on batt replacement I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS
BOB

Old 01-03-2000, 04:12 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Replacement Batteries

On batteries, you will get defects/lemons on ANY brand you buy! Just buy from a source that is easy to get to in case of an early failure.Also,make sure you match the CCA's of the original batteries.Really no need for much more unless you have a major accessory like a snow plow or wrecker lights.
Phillip

Old 01-07-2000, 10:57 PM
max
New User
Replacement Batteries

Get the highest CCA rating you can get that will fit in the truck. Some brands have higher CCA ratings than others for the same size and vehicle.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:17 PM
ford4x4offrd
Senior User
Replacement Batteries

I also live in northern new york and this may sound byist because i work in the auto center at sears but i have a 7.3L and put in two 1000 CCA die hard rangehandlers. the ranghandlers cells are thicker and more heavy duty. i have never had a problem starting even when it drops less than 10 below. die hard is the way to go, they also have a great warranty included in them in case they dont work, good luck.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:42 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Replacement Batteries

I would stick to Interstate, DieHard, Crown, Napa, or Deka. Try to match the CCA with the OEM specs. Higher CCA batteries don't seem to last as long. And if they go completly dead they will only come back about 50-70% I learned this from experiance. Ask any battery place and they will tell you to get the same size battery as the truck calls for.

Old 02-05-2001, 12:27 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
Replacement Batteries

Old 02-05-2001, 08:36 PM
cable_guy
Junior User
Replacement Batteries

I've been pondering this battery thing for a while, also. I spoke with a guy who runs an alternator and starter shop, which of course sells batteries and cables as well, and he told me to be on the look-out for those parts store and Wal-Mart batteries that you can lift with one hand and claim 1000 CCA or better. He mentioned specifics, but I didn't get them all. It boiled down to reserve capacity, and the battery's ability to handle moderate to high loads for longer periods, and still have decent cranking amps avalible. One example would be cycling glow plugs a couple times and then hitting the starter. His explanation was that a larger 650 CCA amp battery with high reserve would have more CCA after being drawn on for power (glow plugs, etc) than a small 1000 CCA battery with a lower reserve. I don't fully understand it, but the larger vs. smaller seemed to make sence. I'll try to get some more info on this. My batteries are 5 years old, and I feel I should replace them, and I don't want to do it uninformed. Maybe I'll stop in at Ford and get the same ones that are in the new PSD trucks. Sorry for the novel. Good luck.

'96F350XL,137"WB,4x4,PSD,SRW,5speed,4.10LS,aluminu m Pierce enclosed service body,Code 3 amber lightbar, SHO-ME wig-wags front and rear(hi-beam, brake and back-up sequencers), Cobra 148 CB, enough tools and material to wire a small Office LAN system on board at all times.

Old 02-06-2001, 11:05 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
Replacement Batteries

I went to a Cat dealer and did some battery measuring when I bought mine. I wound up buying 2 batteries for a tractor trailer. they fit in my battery boxes barely and spin my old 6.9 liter over but good. It doesn't look like they changed the battery boxes between my 86 and my 95 parts truck so they should still fit. Just a thought.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 02-07-2001, 09:21 AM
ford4x4offrd
Senior User
Replacement Batteries

I have checked with a diesel mechanic about batteries with my 7.3L. the truck was originally his and he said he had the best luck with school bus batteries. they are expensive but he said he never had to replace them in about 6-7 years. so theres some more info for ya. good luck

Jacksland

Old 02-08-2001, 07:43 PM
soupy264
Senior User
Replacement Batteries

I live near Syracuse, and have been buying batteries at Battery World. They are a local distributor, and sell wholesale to anyone. They are on Townline Rd near the end of Factory St.in Mattydale. They can tell you just what you need, can check your present batteries.starter, and charger(gen,alt). They also install them free. Good luck PHIL

Old 02-09-2001, 08:41 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Replacement Batteries

Hey Soupy,
I used toknow a fella down off of south Salinas street way down by the tracks that could get me anythinng I wanted. Never took him up on it though

Were do you live in Syracuse? I grew up in Red Creek? Went to MEPS in Syracuse!

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 AM
PWRPROD
Senior User
Just a couple of things on batts. A name brand always. Interstate has held the highest consumer rating for years. Ask for a matched pair, they will wear out together. Any time two are required buy two at the same time. Take the higher CCA rating if more than one is offered. Any thing warrenteed over 5 years is a waste of money. Buy from a major seller one that moves a lot of batteries, yours will be fresher. Batts start to deteriate the instant they are activated. Sears is a good second choice, same criteria as above. If they don't know what a matched pair is go someplace else to buy. Bargain prices get you what you payed for (not much). Especially in the cold weather like NY& MN. Diesels take a lot of power to start. Getting your money's worth is this simple. O yea clean the cable ends and wash the battery trays with soda and water. Soak the cables in some of the same solution. If they are still bubbling after about 5 minutes replace them. They will fail from acid destruction soon and will not conduct the power required to the starter.

PWRPROD