Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch component removal **yippy**

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:08 PM
84FB351
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry clutch component removal **yippy**

my buddy has a 89 f-150 inline with a 5 speed tranny 2wd. i believe its called the slave cylinder went out today. its the little piece that the master cylinder connects to inside the bellhousing. anyways the guy at napa said pull the motor. would it be easier to pull the tranny alone? ive never done it b4 and i dont have a tranny jack. ive pulled motors but never a tranny alone. anyways how do you do it? take the crossmember out unbolt the bell-housing and drivehsaft. then how do you handle the torque converter? i need help asap so please any and all input this is getting done tomorrow. Thanks alot, Josh

Old 06-01-2004, 12:02 AM
believer45
Posting Guru
I have pulled several transmissions in my time, all manuals. First off, I doubt you have a torque converter AND a clutch slave cylinder. Sorry - couldn't resist.

The clutch slave cylinder in the F150 is inside the bellhousing wrapped around the input shaft so either the tranny or the engine will have to come out. I have never pulled an engine for this kind of work. You will need to remove any crossmember necessary, you can see what needs to come out when you get a look at it. Do remember to support the back of the engine - the transmission crossmember holds up the back of the engine/transmission unit when they are bolted together. You can either use a bottle jack from the floor or a hoist/cherry picker from above.

If your setup works like the newer ones you will need to get the hydraulic clutch bled before all is said and done.

If you have a ZF transmission with an aluminum case they are not too heavy - I can lift the one out of my 95 F250 by myself with relative ease but then I am 6'6" and 288# and that may make a difference. Two of you with a regular floor jack and reasonable caution should be able to do the job pretty easily.

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes.

Dave / Believer45

Old 06-02-2004, 10:55 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
It has been a few years, but I replaced the clutch and slave cylinder in my 88 f-150 5 Speed. You will need to support the engine. Take the bolts out of the cross member at the back of the transmission. It is a little tricky disconnecting the Hyd line to the slave cylinder, so be careful not to brake it. Two small screwdrivers together work well to disconnect that "Quick Disconnect". Disconnect the reverse light switch, support the tranny, slide the drive shaft out, remove the cross member and then lower the tranny. It took me half a day with my bubby helping. You will need those darn metric tools.

Good luck.