msd no worky???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 06:11 PM
djmac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msd no worky???

i just installed a msd 6a into my 88 460. it has a holley projection d fuel injection system. it starts up great but die as soon as i let go of the key. i have 12 volts at the coil with the key turned to on so i do not think the problem is at the wiring of the coil. it seems more like no fuel supply when i let go of the key. any ideas? just one more question. i bought the distributor wiring harness to to make the conversion from dura spark to msd cleaner. but when i opened up the package the harness was only 6" long. where did they think i was going to mount the msd box?? on the distributor cap???? maybe i am misunderstanding something here. anyway any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:03 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Whats the voltage at the MSD box with the key in the run position (Engine running or not...)? I am betting its 0 Volts :]

Old 06-01-2004, 09:07 AM
djmac
Senior User
which conductor would i measure the voltage at? one of the distributor leads?

Old 06-01-2004, 10:33 AM
hookin'78
Junior User
Did you hook up your red lead wire on your MSD box to a "key on" position wire?

Old 06-01-2004, 10:39 AM
djmac
Senior User
yes. it is now hooked up to the wire that used to feed the coil positive side.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 PM
doctorq
Freshman User
You probably have figured out what I'm going to say, but I was a little confused by your last post. I just put an MSD 6A box on my '94 with (almost) no problems. One of the key things is that the thick red wire go directly to a CONSTANT source of power - not switched. MSD reccommends straight to the battery, although I found the feed to the power distribution box on the LH fenderwell much more convenient. You don't even have to run a fuse, as the MSD box is fused internally (hey - that's what the directions say!) Anyhow, mine didn't work at first, so I reversed the trigger feed going into the box and this got it going like a champ (MSD's directions did not match my truck's wiring colors!)

Yeah - the wires are too short! I extended mine (solder all connections!) and mounted the box on the LH inner fender just behind the washer reservoir. Looks good and runs good so far. . . .

Old 06-03-2004, 09:41 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
On the MSD there should be a larger diam red as well as a larger diam black. This is the main power/ground for the MSD box. Make sure it is going to a hot source such as a battery. With this red wire getting heat from the battery and the ground going to a good solid ground your box should be able to go live.

Here is a link to MSD's website page that is a PDF file of the original instructions with detailed info: http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6series.pdf Copy and paste it into your address bar if it is not displayed here as an active link.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:46 PM
djmac
Senior User
i did figure it out. because i had an aftermarket fuel injection system i need a tack adapter. 4 wire connections later it was all good!

Old 06-08-2004, 01:39 PM
catmandu79
Junior User
Did you bother to download the complete installation manual from there website? It should have all the info you need.