Feel the K&N Power!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 05:16 PM
StorminTexan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Feel the K&N Power!

Lol.. I thought it was a nice catch.. I got some humor for my 4.2L buddies.. For the last 3 oil changes (thank you WALMART!) the workers failed to notice my air filter in dire need of change.. Course my own stupidity didnt think to change it himself.. Pretty sad when your fiance (female) comes out and tells you to change your damn air filter.. So back to the story.. I decide since these morons cant seem to check it and replace it on a daily basis and im in a place where I cant do oil changes myself anymore.. I'm going to invest in a nice K&N filter.. I've heard good things.. So why not?

Ok.. So heres the odd part.. I noticed after a few weeks my engine would choke.. Literally.. It was as if someone covered the air intake when I would try to take off in 1st gear or shift through out my gears.. It was bothering me, I thought ok maybe just a tight transmission.. Only has 39k miles on the block.. its a 2000 model so it cant be a factory fault or can it?..

So I go to my trusty advanced auto parts store, slam my pos filter on the table and tell them i want a high performance K&N for my lil 6 banger on steroids! After paying $53 for a piece of whatever that can be oiled every 3k miles (or was it 6k? crap!) i throw that bad boy in right there in the parking lot..

Here goes nothing.. I crank up the beast and to my suprise hmm.. Clean.. no hesitate start, rev's a little cleaner and sounds a tiny bit more ****y (not much).. So I take off and HOLY FLYING COWS! No jerking or choking.. I can't understand.. How can it be? So I test it.. Time to race some lil 4 banger import (too bad the V6 beast is superior to that lil bumble bee).. Ok so it was a BANGED up 4 banger but still.. I did us V6 Fords proud So after slamming gears for a few miles I noticed it has a tad bit more acceleration and it doesnt jerk or choke..

So to sum up this brilliant story on how K&N changed my life:

Dont let your air filters go over 3000 miles because it really screws crap up.. and dont trust Wal-Mart's integrity! lol

Ok.. Lemme have it guys... I know one of ya'll got some stupid thing to say or laugh at me.. You have 30 seconds... [click] NOW!

Old 06-01-2004, 09:41 AM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
well thats a nice story but what i dont get is why it acted bad after changing the filter? you did say you changed it out for a new one that made it run like crap right? then you swapped for a K&N and it ran great right? well i cant understand why it ran bad with a clean filter?? you did take out the paper intruction insert right? (not sayin anything about you but ive seen it done before) its weird but good for you if its all fixed now

Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 PM
StorminTexan
Senior User
No No... I replaced the bad filter that had been for 3 oil changes with a K&N... It was running bad with the dirty filter, then running good with the K&N in..

Old 06-01-2004, 02:28 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Heh, I could have told you to never go to Wal-Mart for oil changes. I worked in their TLE for over a year. (I would have been the one changing your oil!) Anyways, they are bottom-of-the-barrell as compared to other lube shops. The don't even lube all the fittings on your truck. All they do is strict oil changes...no radiator flushing or transmissions changes...just oil...and they weren't all that great!

Anyways, it's good to hear the K&N helped ya out...and maybe taught a lesson or 2. BTW, don't go by mileage, just look at the filter and when it looks dirty enough...clean it.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:36 PM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
ooooh ok well now i get it thanks