1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need F250/350 oblong mirrors for a 1956

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:05 AM
scf100
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need F250/350 oblong mirrors for a 1956

I am building a 1956 F100 panel truck and thought these mirrors would be great to actually see outside the truck.These are the oblong/westcoast style mirrors that go on an arm that can be extended. Since it looks like they mount to the regular mounting brackets for the smaller round mirrors I thought I could just swap them when I take the panel to a show. anyone know where I can get a pair? Thanks Stuart

Old 06-10-2004, 07:45 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scf100
I am building a 1956 F100 panel truck and thought these mirrors would be great to actually see outside the truck.These are the oblong/westcoast style mirrors that go on an arm that can be extended. Since it looks like they mount to the regular mounting brackets for the smaller round mirrors I thought I could just swap them when I take the panel to a show. anyone know where I can get a pair? Thanks Stuart
Stuart,

I have a couple of west coast styled mirrors that came with my 48 F-3 that sound much like what you described. They are in poor shape and would have to be re-plated or painted and new mirror glass cut for them as the old glass was broken. I'd be happy to give them to you for the cost of shipping only if you think you can use them. I'm going with a different styled mirror. I hate to put them in the junk heap if soneone can use them...

Vern

Old 06-10-2004, 08:09 AM
scf100
Mountain Pass
mirrors

Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it. Figure frt to
1145 Mitchell Bridge Rd
Athens,Ga. 30606
let me know how much and I will send it to you. Stuart Cofer

Old 06-10-2004, 07:11 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,641 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Check ebay. Original to '53 to '56 were these rectangular mirrors that measure about 6x6 with rounded corners on an arm that was about 11" to 13" long that could be extended. Is this what you mean or do you mean an after market mirror on the above described mirror arm?

BTW, in all the books I have on Ford trucks, accessory books, pictures of original trucks from the Ford Motor Co, I have never seen these round mirrors that the repro catalog stores sell to us as stock. They do fit, I think they started coming on trucks in '57, but remember the Parts Houses want to make a buck. In all my junk yard trips I have never seen these chrome mirrors on any 53-56 trucks in the junk yard.

abe '54 F-100

Old 06-11-2004, 04:36 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by scf100
Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it. Figure frt to
1145 Mitchell Bridge Rd
Athens,Ga. 30606
let me know how much and I will send it to you. Stuart Cofer
Stuart,

It may be a few days before I can find a box and get them to the post office for a shipping quote, but I'll let you know...

Vern

Old 06-11-2004, 08:45 AM
scf100
Mountain Pass
Mirrors

Originally Posted by abe
Check ebay. Original to '53 to '56 were these rectangular mirrors that measure about 6x6 with rounded corners on an arm that was about 11" to 13" long that could be extended. Is this what you mean or do you mean an after market mirror on the above described mirror arm?

BTW, in all the books I have on Ford trucks, accessory books, pictures of original trucks from the Ford Motor Co, I have never seen these round mirrors that the repro catalog stores sell to us as stock. They do fit, I think they started coming on trucks in '57, but remember the Parts Houses want to make a buck. In all my junk yard trips I have never seen these chrome mirrors on any 53-56 trucks in the junk yard.

abe '54 F-100
Abe the mirrors you describe are the ones I am looking for and it appears no one is doing repros. Stuart

Old 06-11-2004, 08:49 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Stuart, When I bought my truck from my grandfather it had the mirror arms I described (badly rusted) but had chrome replacement mirrors that I called K-Mart specials. The PA weather rusts things quickly or maybe the original mirrors were broken off during work on the farm. Check my gallery to see what I mean. After I painted the truck I painted the back of the mirrors cream like the grille. Since then I have located mirrors and arms. One from a fellow FTE'er from Texas and one from ebay. One needed the glass replaced and both needed painted. For a good view of these I will give you a website of a guy that has Marmon-Harrington trucks. He has a '53 with them on. I will have to get the address and give it in the next reply,

till then, abe

Old 06-11-2004, 09:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Stuart,
here is the address of Chuck's trucks: http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm
Also, if you can get a color dealer brochure from '53-'56 you can see them also. You also can find these on ebay. I suppose you and I will be bidding against each other for the mirrors. I need a better one. Also, the 57 to 60-something trucks had them too, but they were painted white or gray.

I want to put updated pics in my gallery, but the computer I have the pics on is not the one hooked up to the net right now.
abe

Old 06-13-2004, 05:31 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Wouldn't you know it... I was doing some work on the HS soccer field (if ya want it done right , ya gotta do it yourself) and as I was leaving I climbed in and shut the door and the mirror glass fell from the mirror head! And it was my good one! So, to the glass and mirror shop I go. I might as well have them cut 2 door glass as I have cracked them over tha last year or 2. I must have the channels a bit out of line.
abe

Old 06-15-2004, 10:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Stuart,

I sent you an email...

Vern