Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Any contractors/builders here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:19 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any contractors/builders here?

I got some questions conserning building a cabin on some property I own. Just a little 1 room cabin with a bathroom. Sort of a guest house type thing. I got questions about septic systems (what does the 'code' say about cabins? what is realy needed? what design would work best? ect), about electrisity (to run a couple outlets, 3 or 4 lights, a window ac unit, and maybe a stove/oven) would I be able to just daisy chain everything from the braker box on the meter pole or would I need a service pannel in the cabin. I had a couple other questions, but dont remember them right now. Hahaha, I'm sure I'll remember just as I'm layin down for bed.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:06 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A panel box would be best. Septic...thats a whole nother creature. You have to have the ground tested for its make-up. Therefore the ability for it to drain. From there they decide if you need an aerobic system or a plain leach system. For a one or two bedroom cabin, your not talking much in the way of size. Code is a matter of zoning or lack there of. Depends on location.
Do you already have the cabin? Lookin to buy one or build your own? What amentities are you wanting? Where in Texas are we talking about?
I know a few people who do all that stuff you need. Even the guy that sells em if need be.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Where in Texas are you, 13MWZ? In most locations in Texas, if you own 10 acres or more, you don't need permits.
On the septic system I would install at least a 500 gl tank (in case you want to add on later) - they don't cost that much, then just install a standard leach system.
On the electrical - I would install a panel in the cabin and let the power company connect it. You can't go wrong there.
Do you have a well or rural water supply?

Old 05-27-2004, 10:27 AM
13MWZ
Elder User
Its only 5 acres in Kimble County. About 30-45 mins northwest of Kerrville (between Fredericksburg and Junction). I plan on building a house on the property at a later date and on the other side of the property. So in the mean time I want to build a small one room cabin to stay in while I build the house and to use as a guest house afterwords. I'm planing something small and simple. I already have power coming to a pole on my land with a meter loop and braker box, just need the guts of the meter. About 30' from the pole is my water well, wich as of now is nothing more that a caped pipe in the ground. I have picked out and prices the pump and pressure tank I want to use. The pump is big enough to pump enough water high enough to use for the house (when it's built) and the cabin. The pressure tank is only large enough for the cabin.
I'm thinking that instead of installing a septic system for the cabin (begining to soud like it will cost a loooooot) I might go with a composting toilet, theyve come a long way. This was the only drainage needed would be for the sink/shower. For that I think I'd be able to just run a pipe through the ground with drainage holes in it and maybe a barrel at the end also with drainage holes.

For the electricity I guess yall are right. I need to do it the right way. Dont want to cheepskate with something like that. I can wire up the cabin no problem and even bring the feeder wire to the braker box on the pole, and then let a pro take it from there. Besides, they'd have to install the guts of the meter and turn it all on.

I think I also should explain that my property is rectangular shaped, deeper than it is wide. The power and well are near the far left corner and I want to build the cabin there to keep costs of plumbing/electrical down, but the home site is more twards the center of the property. The phone box is by the road on the front right corner. The phone co will run the wire almost half way to the cabin for free and then charge me after that, but I can trench the rest of it for cheeper than they'll do it, so I'm just gunna finish that on my own also.

Thanks a lot for yall's help and info.

Peppy, I want to do as much of this on my own as possible, you know, to make it "mine", but if you have contacts that could atleast lend some extra advise that would be great!

Old 05-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Good idea.
5 acres is a good amount, really - not too much and big enough to sit on the back porch in your undies at night.

Good luck with it...hope you have fun with too, that's what counts.

Old 05-30-2004, 07:22 AM
ol yeller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where ya at

I got a liscense to install the standard type. You have to have a permit no matter who does it. You get a Site evaluator to do a soil sample to see what the drainage of your soil would be. If it's heavy clay or non porous soil you have to have an arobic system with sprinklers. If your near the DFW area maybe I can help you out.

Dave

Old 05-30-2004, 08:59 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Nah, I'm a few hrs form DFW, but thanx for the offer! I think I'm just going to go with a composting toilet untill I build an actual house.

Thanx again for everybody's comments, help, and advice.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:39 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All I can say is this is a real chitty topic. ed