Oil & Lubrication  

Oil analysis, do I need TBN

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil analysis, do I need TBN

I have a new 6.0 PSD and am about ready for the first oil change. I want to have an oil analysis performed to check for excessive diesel in the oil and see how the engine is breaking in. Blackstone Labs charges $20 for the test and $10 additional for the TBN testing. Looks like the TBN is only if I want to extend the drain interval, correct? Is there any other reason I might want to test the TBN?

I haven't decided what oil I will change it with, but it will probably be conventional dino oil and be changed again in 3000 miles. I may just use 15W-40 Delvac 1300 oil until about 10,000 miles, then go synthetic. I will perform oil analysis on these oil changes also, strictly to monitor engine break-in and diesel contamination.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:29 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
I have a new 6.0 PSD and am about ready for the first oil change. I want to have an oil analysis performed to check for excessive diesel in the oil and see how the engine is breaking in. Blackstone Labs charges $20 for the test and $10 additional for the TBN testing. Looks like the TBN is only if I want to extend the drain interval, correct? Is there any other reason I might want to test the TBN?
The TBN is a measure of the oil's capacity to neutralize acids. If all you are interested in is wear metals and fuel in oil, then you do not need a TBN.

You do need a TBN before extending your drain intervals. The TBN tells you how "used up" your oil is.

From Oilguard's website:

Total Base Number (TBN -Estimated value) is a calculated measurement of the oil's alkaline reserve (additive) package of the oil that is capable of neutralizing acidic contaminants, primarily formed by the adsorption of combustion gases and the aging of the oil. Combustion by-products are the source of the strongest acids, therefore, over-extended oil drain intervals, insufficient additive package, or overheating are causes for a low TBN. Typically, when the TBN is below 3, it is an indication that the oil alkaline reserve is nearing depletion and the oil should be scheduled for an oil change.

Last edited by jschira; 05-24-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
jschira

You mentioned Oilguard in your post (they are a FTE sponsor) so I checked their website. Their oil analysis is only $15 and includes TBN! Wow, half price the price of Blackstone. In reference to the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.", what are the differences between the two labs testing? I also know more expensive is not always better, but why the big price difference? Thanks for any insite you might have on this.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:08 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Actually, you can buy 3 for $30, which is what I did. With shipping (both ways), the reports end up being around $13.

Oilguard gives you all the trace metals, fuel/coolant and TBN, but not some of the %soot and viscosity info that Blackstone gives you. And although I called and talked to a live person about my report, I think that Blackstone "personalizes" its reports a little more, gives you more analysis and feedback rather than just raw numbers.

I'm happy with the report that I got.

Last edited by jschira; 05-24-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Thanks for the info jschira.

I may be intrested in the %soot information, especially since the 6.0 PSD utilizes a EGR system. Now that I think of it, the TBN would be nice to know to monitor the alkaline reserves to combat the hydro sulphuric acid (by-product of burning sulphur) re-introduced from the EGR system.

At $10 a test, the OilGuard test (primarily for the TBN) would be the same price as the add-on for the TBN BlackStone test. For $30, I would get 2 tests (the basic $20 Blackstone and the $10 OilGuard test) for the price of one complete Blackstone test. I would get all the results I want and a comparison from two different labs. Don't think I'm too ****, but the $$$ just works out that way

Old 05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
At $10 a test, the OilGuard test (primarily for the TBN) would be the same price as the add-on for the TBN BlackStone test. For $30, I would get 2 tests (the basic $20 Blackstone and the $10 OilGuard test) for the price of one complete Blackstone test. I would get all the results I want and a comparison from two different labs. Don't think I'm too ****, but the $$$ just works out that way
Not quite. Shipping x 2.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jschira
Not quite. Shipping x 2.
Oh yea, forgot about that. I got a couple of Blackstone kits on the way and will probably order some OilGuard kits today anyway. Be intresting to see, at least for the first couple of tests anyhow. Thanks again.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
luckeydr
Freshman User
Did my first test on oil with 5000 miles (second oil change). Wanted to see how oil held up, so I paid the $10 to see the TBN. Came back at 8.3. According to Blackstone, still had plenty of additive left. Won't use extended drain, just wanted to see how Chevron Delo 15W-40 held up. Milage was mostly interstate speeds and towing 7000# trailer. Temps/weather was from snow to sun and 30-85 degrees.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:57 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Oilguard says TBN should be above 3.

Most diesel oils start out at around 10-12.

At 8.3, that oil was practically brand new.