New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88-7.3L Starting Problems

Old 10-12-2001, 09:06 AM
Bill_250
New User

I just bought this F-250 and had the head, and injector pump replaced. The truck runs great and mileage and pick up increased ...but. Since the work was done ( I didn't have the starting problems before this) I am having a hard time starting it. If I plug it in over night it starts 75% of the time if I pump the gas pedal after it lights off. The other times it lights off and basically sputters and dies after running for about a second. I then have to crank the engine through 3 or 4 extended periods before it starts.

The guy who did the work replaced the pump twice and it still won't start after sitting overnight.

Is this a combination of problems anyone has seen before? I am new to this diesel world and would like to do some of this work myself. Any ideas where to start.

Old 10-12-2001, 06:07 PM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru

I would look at the glow plug system.

Les

Old 10-12-2001, 08:15 PM
bjr20
New User

Looks like the mechanic either, pinched a wire to the glow plugs/harness, or the fuel system is losing its prime.

Old 10-13-2001, 12:58 AM
ccoffin
Junior User

I just had a pump put on my 91 7.3, and the mechanic didn't have the timing right. It wouldn't die, but it did take 10-15 seconds of cranking to start cold. When the timing was corrected it fixed it, and it lights off right away now. A new glow plug set and controller might also be needed.

Old 10-13-2001, 09:01 PM
Stax
New User

Check all your glow plugs for continuity/resistance, and make sure power is getting to all of them when the realy is on.

I am however leaning towards there being a problem with the fuel system. I had a similar problem with my 6.9L, and it turned out to be air entering the water seperator's drain. It was not enough to let fuel leak out noticibly overnight, but was allowing air while it was running. This slightly foamy fuel did not make any significant change to the drivability of the truck, aside from making it difficult to start, especially after sitting overnight. It would fire, then just crank, and crank, and crank...
What was happening is that the air would eventually seperate from the fuel in the filter, causing the injection pump to get what little fuel was in the line (causing the initial fire-up), then getting a gulp of air off the top of the filter head! (causing it to crank, and crank, etc... until fuel was again pumping through)
What may have happened in your case is the same thing, air getting into the system from before the transfer (lift) pump from a filter or loose line.
One way to quickly check is to remove the filter after the truck has sat overnight. If the fuel level seems to be down (more than 1/2-3/4" or so), then chances are you are taking in air somewhere. You can verify this by connecting a length of clear vinyl line on the inlet of you fuel pump and run it. Look for the bubbles of air in the fuel...if any. Then go through the system using your clear length of line to isolate the air inlet...

Good Luck!

STAX
"Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side, and holds the universe together!"

Old 10-17-2001, 08:21 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to check all the return lines and the injector tees for fuel leaks. Also check all the supply fuel lines for corrosion, leakage and etc. It is with no question an air leak, the hard part is finding it. The lines, and injector orings are the easiest to find and replace. They are also the most common.

1986 F-250 6.9 diesel,4x4,XLT Lariat,Ex Cab, 8'bed,etc...