Propane, which kit and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:46 AM
skuteman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
................Thanks for the advise guys. If, I decide to do this, I will definitely add gauges and exhaust prior to propane . Most of the '5ver toy haulers that I would be interested in are going to be around 13k to 14k in gross weight. thanks for your help , s.kuteman

Old 05-31-2004, 03:25 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
Originally Posted by WeWeld
I'm a HP guy so I will be adding injectors in a month or so and then maybe a little shot of nitrous as I already have a system in the shop.
But that will be another story later.
Gene

you should think about putting the international 466 injectors in, fit right in and they flow soo much more than stock and you can get them from the internet at salvage yards that deal with wrecked big trucks and buses

Old 05-31-2004, 03:50 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FarmerPhilCo
you should think about putting the international 466 injectors in, fit right in and they flow soo much more than stock and you can get them from the internet at salvage yards that deal with wrecked big trucks and buses
Do you know how much fuel they flow compared to the single shot and split shot PSD injectors? I'm not planning on changing mine but it would be interesting to compare and might be helpful to others.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 05-31-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Thomas T
New User
Parts List Please And How Too.... I Would Like To Build My Owne...my Chip/diesel Man Will Tune It,safty Check And Reprogram My Chip...he Will Not Install It. Saving M0ney On Milage Needs To Be Helped With My Do-it-yourself. Very Nice Threads Thank You. Thomas T

Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 466 injectors are single shot. They flow roughly equal to the H.O. 444 injectors....about 160mm^3. About the same as anybody's off the shelf stage II's. I get the distinct impession that Gene will be going for a bit more flow than that.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:35 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
I have a set of HO 444 injectors to put in while I'm waiting for my middle of the year bonus so I can get a set of MiniMe's from DI.

GENE

Old 06-01-2004, 03:04 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I don't profess to be well schooled in injectors, but don't mini-me's flow about 240? There are larger ones available through Swamp Donkey. I think he has some that flow over 300.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
When you move up to 466 injectors do you have to upgrade the fuel system and oil system like you for "baby Swamps" or will the stock systems work with them?
Since they are single stage with output about 50% greater than the stock 1996 444 injectors will this cause overfueling at lower engine speeds?

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 06-01-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
I don't profess to be well schooled in injectors, but don't mini-me's flow about 240? There are larger ones available through Swamp Donkey. I think he has some that flow over 300.
On the dyno and at the track the MMe's are the most impressive so far but swamps are getting better all the time as the programing has a lot to do with it.

GENE

Old 06-01-2004, 09:44 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
When you move up to 466 injectors do you have to upgrade the fuel system and oil system like you for "baby Swamps" or will the stock systems work with them?
Since they are single stage with output about 50% greater than the stock 1996 444 injectors will this cause overfueling at lower engine speeds?
I have already upgrade the fuel system and from what I've read the my HPOP should be able to handle them. They will work OK if you get the right program to run them with. I will post about them after we install them and put the truck back on the dyno.

GENE

Old 06-01-2004, 09:53 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WeWeld
I have already upgrade the fuel system and from what I've read the my HPOP should be able to handle them. They will work OK if you get the right program to run them with. I will post about them after we install them and put the truck back on the dyno.

GENE
If you are going to run a modified 444 injector your HPOP can keep up with about 175mm^3. You can run any of the various 530 hybrid injectors (F*MES, mini-me's, hugh jazz, etc.) with a stock 99+ HPOP and get 240-250mm^3. That's why their popularity has exploded in recent months.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:44 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
the 466 injectors work w/o mods to the fuel system

Old 06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Quadzilla-I beg to differ-

Originally Posted by Quadzilla
Propane is fuel, nitrous is air. Currently, I can put more fuel (propane) into my engine than it can handle, (detonation). If I could introduce more air (nitrous), I'd be able to increase the amount of fuel (propane or diesel.)
I have read many of your words of advice and I have learned alot from you and others on this site. I'm not trying to call you out but I'm a little confused. I agree with you that propane is fuel and nitrous is basically air. I am new to diesels but it is my understanding that detonation in a diesel is like detonation in a gasser. The fuel/air mixture gets too lean, the mixture ignites prematurely, and it is hell on the rods/pistons.
I also think that a diesel engine runs on a "heavier" fuel that has a fair amount of resistance to detonation. (octane/cetane number). If propane burns more easily than diesel, and I think it does, then introducing propane in to a diesel would tend to ignite the mixture sooner, right?
Assuming I'm still correct at this point, NO2 would then lean out this mixture and it would further cause the mixture to burn sooner.

Please straighten me out if I'm wrong, but I really believe that if you put NO2 in your motor with propane in order to reduce detonation, you would only make it worse.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
Propane dont ignite under pressure

Ok, diesel being a light oil, needs the high compressions to ignite.
Diesel motors are as small as the little car and airplane motors i.e. *** .020, glow plug, mineral oil with nitromethane added.

So now we have a much larger 4 stroke diesel instead of the little two stroke motor.

You have added fuel aka diesel, which will burn on extreme compression.
Glow plugs heat the cylinder then shut off i.e. dash light goes out.

Now after the FORGED ALUMINUM PISTONS are at operating temps. They have swelled to the cylinder walls.

The burning of the diesel fuel is only controled by the engine stroke.
and not a complete burn. So you introduce the pane, this ignites at a lower flash point,
(but remember it can be safely compressed in either the vapor stage or liquid stage)

Now its mixed in the cylinder with the oil, which blows up under pressure, this cause the pane to burn the diesel more completly.

Remember the pane has a lot less power than gasoline!! Mater of fact a pane farm tractor needs to spin almost twice as fast to start on pane. Some trucks start on gasoline and switch to pane after the warmup.

Now you have the mix in the cylinder, it explodes giving a more complete burn. You can in theory now introduce more oxygen (aka Nitrous) to a point.

However you could easily still go lean and burn the engine up.(Done it with gassers many times back in the 60's-70's)

So yes you can add a bit more O2, even with the heavy duty forged parts in a diesel its still possible to blow them up, steel can only take so much.

Spike TV had a short feature on diesel injectors last year. Diesel when atomized has the air mixed with it and produces a pretty good burn rate.

The OKC bombing was done with Nitrogen mixed with diesel fuel. This increased the burn rate for both by adding the Oxygen, from about 4500 feet per second to over 11,500 feet per second. The reason it made such a mess is the mixture goes lean very fast!!!!

Diesel itself is hard to burn ask any soldier that had some idiot tell them to burn diesel in thier YUKON STOVE, its slow and dont burn well. add gasoline to the diesel and the stove works better, use straight MO gas and those little stoves will turn white hot. Lower flash points need less oxygen.

Now see the smile paragraph, we are full circle on the Oxygen to any fuel.

Before adding Nitrous to a diesel you better have a damn good idea of what you are doing!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 02:22 AM
96ford4x4turbodiesel
Senior User
ok i got a 96 psd and it has 196500 miles on it will propane eventually blow my engine up even if it doesnt i still have my stock auto tranny in it if i add propane will my auto tranny hold up?

Quick Reply: Propane, which kit and why?