Propane, which kit and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gene- You're Powershot must be quite a bit different than mine. I've never heard of a Powershot with three adjustable nozzles, but yet, mine is relatively new if you refer to yours as an older one. Until now, I've only heard of Bully Dog systems with multiple nozzles. When you say they're adjustable, in what way? Does that mean they flow propane at different boost levels?
And you're only running 12psi line pressure? Amazing! The default setting on my system, and according to Keith, the inventor, is 40psi.
I'm dying to hear what you have to say.
Scott.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:42 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
Scott
Sorry sometimes my brain is faster than my typing FINGER. Line pressure is 40 psi but I spray the intake pipe at 12 psi. I have 3 nozzles in the intake pipe that are operated by 3 solenoids which I put together myself.

First nozzle is for mileage set very low
Second nozzle is for towing set a little higher
Third nozzle which means all 3 are on and hold on this thing wants to fly.

The system comes in at 2 lbs of boost and I decide which switches to turn on. This system is a lot of fun

Here's a pic http://www.socaps.com/photopost/show...cat/500/page/2

GENE

Old 05-28-2004, 09:59 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WeWeld
I put down a 380 rwhp on my early 99 with stock turbo and injectors.
I will dyno again on June 6th should be a little better with the H2e turbo that I just installed. Hope to get some torque numbers this time.

GENE
this is off the subject but in your gallery you list the "power pedal" mod i have seen this advertised somewhere,may i ask what does it do and will it help(more power) my 2001 psd (i have a western diesel,-now idealdiesel quad power chip) thanks for the input.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:49 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
the power pedal mod basically takes out all the play in the pedal so it is more responsive like a gasser pedal. It's GREAT

GENE

Old 05-29-2004, 12:01 AM
99PSDCREW
Senior User
WeWeld,
That sounds interesting. Did you do a home-fab or kit? Early '99 here needing a couple more horsies.
JJ

Old 05-29-2004, 12:25 AM
WeWeld
Senior User
Started with a Powershot kit and added a few more parts , can't leave anything stock
Have you done a chip yet?

GENE

Last edited by WeWeld; 05-29-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:03 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaking (typing) of chips, aren't there some programming adjustments required to run 'pane with a big chip? It's my understanding that big chips and propane set for high HP is indeed what makes engines go BOOM.

Old 05-29-2004, 01:24 AM
WeWeld
Senior User
That's what they say but I'm running a 140 hp chip with a lot of pane and NO BOOM , here been doing it for over 150k. They take out some timing to help make it work. I even tow with 140 hp setting and pane in tow mode and at 25,000 lbs throttle to the floor it is hard to get it to 1250 degrees before it gets to 70 mph.

GENE

Last edited by WeWeld; 05-29-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:20 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
As Gene said, the only thing different about a propane program and one for those without propane is the amount of fuel timing advance. With propane, you don't want the timing advance, since the propane affects the burn that way.
Just for fun, I put in a basic US Gear chip yesterday, and found that even though it's not an especially hot burn, I can't run the propane with it, because it sets off detonation so easily.
I'll definitely be going back to the propane programs in my flip chip as soon as the sun comes up.
Nice pics, Gene. I'd be interested in more detail about how you went about setting up the multiple nozzles. I can't leave anything stock either.
Scott.

Old 05-29-2004, 04:45 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
Originally Posted by WeWeld
Scott
Sorry sometimes my brain is faster than my typing FINGER. Line pressure is 40 psi but I spray the intake pipe at 12 psi. I have 3 nozzles in the intake pipe that are operated by 3 solenoids which I put together myself.
GENE
I can't believe this works, johndiesel said that if it is not bought in a kit it will not work, it will destroy your engine

Old 05-29-2004, 05:41 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FarmerPhilCo
I can't believe this works, johndiesel said that if it is not bought in a kit it will not work, it will destroy your engine
If you read what I posted that is not what I said. BTW, he modified a "kit."

What I did say was that if you didn't understand propane injection you should not try and build your own kit. Obviously Gene understands propane injection.

Next time you take a shot at me for no reason please make sure you represent my comments accurately.

Old 05-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
FarmerPhilCo- what johnsdiesel said was:
After reading what Quadzilla and others have said when I eventually add propane to my truck I plan on getting the Powershot 2000. Propane is one thing, IMO, that is simply not worth doing yourself. There is too much room for failure and damage unless you really understand propane injection.

As Quadzilla said:
Quote:
Propane doesn't destroy engines, people destroy engines.

I would imagine that this applies to a lot of do-it-yourself systems that are installed without understanding the possible problems with propane injection design.
What you said he said was:
Have you had other conversations with johnsdiesel other than on this forum?
He didn't say what you're crediting him with. He's a very knowledgeable guy with a valid opinion, like everyone else, but don't misquote him.
Scott.

Old 05-29-2004, 05:51 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Thanks Scott.

Old 05-29-2004, 10:59 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
FarmerPhilCo- what johnsdiesel said was:

What you said he said was:

Have you had other conversations with johnsdiesel other than on this forum?
He didn't say what you're crediting him with. He's a very knowledgeable guy with a valid opinion, like everyone else, but don't misquote him.
Scott.
you are correct, john did not directly say that homemade kits would not work but he likes to rebutt others quite often. Had you or another friend of his brought up the idea of saving hundreds of dollars by buying the parts separately and making your own the idea would have been golden. Because I brought it up the idea will not work because it does not cost $800 and have a cool name. He said that homemade kits are bad because people do not understand propane, isnt it possible that a person could buy a kit and still not understand propane and still run into the same problems?

Old 05-30-2004, 12:53 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
As Gene said, the only thing different about a propane program and one for those without propane is the amount of fuel timing advance. With propane, you don't want the timing advance, since the propane affects the burn that way.
Ok. So propane advances the timing. Can I assume that comes from the higher BTU content posted by Trail Rider II, inso that the combustion process starts earlier?

That means that the chip's timing is retarded, which is accomplished by some combination of lowering the injectors "on time" i.e. the pulse width, and/or lowering the fuel plunger injection pressure and volume by varying the injection oil pressure with the IPR.

So that means a 140 horse chip that has been burned for propane could not possibly make 140 HP on it's own, and the propane is making up (exceeding?) the difference.

Could that be considered an accurate analysis? Please correct if it is not.

Not bashing the use of 'pane here, just trying to determine a cost/benefit/risk ratio for myself.

Quick Reply: Propane, which kit and why?