6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fix for Turbo/Exhaust Drone/Moan at 1600-1800 RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 07:43 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up The drone/moan is gone!

I drove the truck around for about 35-50 miles on the street and highway. The drone is gone!

I took the truck in Friday for the following TSB. It looks like they did both the exhaust and the turbo bracket. I don't have the invoice, so I won't know for sure. I'll post it when I find out. I included the TSB here. It is worth printing out and handing to the service advisor. Just for the sigh, rolling eyes or dumbfounded stare.

Article No.
04-9-4 ENGINE - exhaust - TURBO-INDUCED EXHAUST MOAN/DRONE AT 1600-1800 RPM - 6.0L BUILT PRIOR TO 9/29/2003
NOISE - VIBRATION - TURBO-INDUCED EXHAUST MOAN/DRONE AT 1600-1800 RPM - 6.0L BUILT PRIOR TO 9/29/2003

Publication Date: April 30, 2004

FORD: 2003-2004 EXCURSION, F SUPER DUTY

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2004 Super Duty F-Series and Excursion vehicles built before 9/29/2003 with a 6.0L engine may exhibit a turbo-induced exhaust moan/drone between 1600-1800 RPM.

ACTION:
To service, neutralize the exhaust system. It may also be necessary to install a revised turbocharger pedestal mounting bracket if it is not already installed. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Inspect exhaust system, confirm hangers and isolators are properly positioned. Correct any bent or damaged hangers and/or bound up isolators.
Loosen turbocharger exhaust down pipe (6N646) at the V-band clamp and connecting flange at the catalyst inlet pipe.
Confirm proper turbocharger downpipe alignment to catalyst inlet pipe. With turbo downpipe in a neutralized position retighten turbo downpipe V-bland clamp at turbo and connecting flange at catalyst.
Re-evaluate for exhaust/turbo moan. If condition is corrected return the vehicle to customer. If not corrected, proceed to step 5.
Remove turbocharger and turbocharger pedestal mounting bracket per Workshop manual Section 303 to verify part number on mounting bracket.
If part number on the bracket is 1846207C1, perform REASSEMBLY OF TURBOCHARGER AND MOUNTING PEDESTAL, AND NEUTRALIZE EXHAUST below before performing final torque procedure of pedestal to block and reinstalling/refastening turbocharger.
If part number on the bracket is not 1846207C1, replace the turbocharger pedestal mounting bracket with service part number 3C3Z-6N639-BA. Perform REASSEMBLY OF TURBOCHARGER AND MOUNTING PEDESTAL, AND NEUTRALIZE EXHAUST below before performing final torque procedure of pedestal to block and reinstalling/refastening turbocharger.
REASSEMBLY OF TURBOCHARGER AND MOUNTING PEDESTAL, AND NEUTRALIZE EXHAUST
NOTE: PROPER ASSEMBLY AND TORQUE SEQUENCE OF THE TURBO LEFT HAND SIDE (LHS) Y-PIPE (6K854) AND RIGHT HAND SIDE (RHS) STRAIGHT-PIPE (6K854) CONNECTIONS, TO TURBO, EGR COOLER, AND EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, IS CRITICAL TO ENSURE THE DURABILITY OF THE EXHAUST PIPE FLEX BELLOWS, AND MINIMIZE TURBO INDUCED EXHAUST MOAN/DRONE NOISE.

NOTE: APPLY HIGH TEMPERATURE NICKEL ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT (F6AZ-9L494-AA) TO BOLT THREADS PRIOR TO REASSEMBLY.

Loosen the V-band clamp at the EGR cooler.
NOTE: DO NOT REMOVE METAL GASKET BETWEEN THE EGR COOLER AND THE UP-PIPE.

Loosen the M8 bolts at the intermediate flat flanges connecting the exhaust Y-pipe to the RHS exhaust straight pipe.
NOTE: DO NOT REMOVE METAL GASKET BETWEEN THE RHS EXHAUST STRAIGHT PIPE AND Y-PIPE FLANGES.

Loosen the two M8 bolts securing the RHS straight pipe to the RHS exhaust manifold.
Loosen the M8 bolts at the LHS Y-pipe to the LHS exhaust manifold.
Reposition the Y-pipe and straight pipe lower legs from the exhaust manifolds to provide a straight inner and outer pipe alignment through the flex bellows and eliminate any distortion in the bellows.
Using hand tools snug the flat flange fasteners between the Y-pipe and straight pipe.
Re-secure with the V-band clamp at the EGR cooler. Final torque to 6 N-m (53 lb-in).
NOTE: BEFORE FINAL TORQUE OF TURBO PEDESTAL FASTENERS, PLACE TURBOCHARGER ONTO MOUNTING PEDESTAL AND CHECK Y-PIPE FLANGE TO TURBO FLANGE MATING ALIGNMENT. IF NOT ALIGNED, REPOSITION TURBO AND PEDESTAL FOR PROPER FLUSH ALIGNMENT TO MATING Y-PIPE FLANGE.

Final torque pedestal fasteners to 31 N-m (23 lb-ft).
Complete turbocharger installation, final torque turbo mounting fasteners per Workshop Manual Section 303 instructions.
Re-secure LHS Y-pipe V-band clamp at the turbo. Final torque to 12 N-m (9 lb-ft).
Check for good alignment and fit of the lower LHS Y-pipe and RHS straight pipe flanges at the mating exhaust manifold outlets. Secure the LHS Y-pipe and RHS straight pipe to the exhaust manifold outlets using M8 bolts (two (2) per side). Using hand tools snug fasteners evenly to position the pipe flanges square to the pipe and parallel to the exhaust manifold flanges. There should be an equal gap spacing between the pipe flange and exhaust manifold flange at both the top and bottom bolts (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 04-9-4

Final torque LHS Y-pipe to RHS straight pipe flat flange fasteners to 27 N-m (20 lb-ft).
Final torque LHS Y-pipe and RHS straight pipe exhaust manifold flange fasteners to 27 N-m (20 lb-ft).
Re-secure exhaust down pipe V-band clamp and final torque to 10 N-m (89 lb-in).
After complete reassembly, road test vehicle to confirm no exhaust leaks and exhaust moan condition is resolved.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3C3Z-6N639-BA Pedestal Bracket

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
040904A Inspect Exhaust (Includes Time To Neutralize And Adjust Exhaust If Necessary) Perform Road Test To Re-Evaluate If Noise Is Corrected 1.2 Hrs.
040904B Inspect Exhaust (Includes Time To Neutralize And Adjust Exhaust If Necessary) Perform Road Test To Re-Evaluate Noise Is Still Present Verify Correct Turbocharger Pedestal Replace If Necessary (Includes Time To Remove And Install Turbocharger) 3.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6N639 42

Old 05-30-2004, 09:40 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Told you.............hehe

Old 06-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Yoson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add the explanation Tim gave as to the original cause. All Turbines have an rpm range that there will be a resonate vibration this is usually felt further down the line like in the down pipe and to eliminate the vibes its must be dampened some how but it does not hurt the turbo in any way. This is a natural thing inherent to all turbines and is especially noticeable in the ones with any type of variable vanes.
Don't think there is any problem with the turbo or the mounts I just think ford didn't take this into account when they started using the variable vane turbo.
I deal with this issue in my job and was not really concerned with it except it was kind of a nuisance having the vibration.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:52 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Yoson
To add the explanation Tim gave as to the original cause. All Turbines have an rpm range that there will be a resonate vibration this is usually felt further down the line like in the down pipe and to eliminate the vibes its must be dampened some how but it does not hurt the turbo in any way. This is a natural thing inherent to all turbines and is especially noticeable in the ones with any type of variable vanes.
Don't think there is any problem with the turbo or the mounts I just think ford didn't take this into account when they started using the variable vane turbo. I deal with this issue in my job and was not really concerned with it except it was kind of a nuisance having the vibration.
Excellent thought and one I believe to be very true
This and a few others is what I call the idiosyncrasies of the 6.0

Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Originally Posted by Yoson
Don't think there is any problem with the turbo or the mounts I just think ford didn't take this into account when they started using the variable vane turbo.
I deal with this issue in my job and was not really concerned with it except it was kind of a nuisance having the vibration.
Hear what your say'n, But...

We've beat this question into the ground, and the 'stumbling point' is why only some 6.0's have the drone... More don't have it, than do.. They 'all' should have it at different/varying degree's.. I've have a stack of towels on my floor to help with the sensations.. I've driven quite a few 04's and they were all 'totally' smooth.. Not to say that there aren't any 04's that do have it..

The question isn't why it's there....it's how to get rid of it!!!!!

Mine is at the dealer 'as we speak', for the pedastal/neutralizing.. It vibs, so bad a times, my rear view mirror buzz's.. It's either the turbo, or my eyes!!!

Will post the results..

...............HP......................

Old 06-02-2004, 07:26 PM
johndeer
Junior User
I have 4" exhaust turbo back, can they still do all this??? I would like them to at least put the different ped on. I've got some other stuff to take it in for so I guess I'll find out.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:50 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Read the message:
Some 2003-2004 Super Duty F-Series and Excursion vehicles built before 9/29/2003 with a 6.0L engine may exhibit a turbo-induced exhaust moan/drone between 1600-1800 RPM.
Note "some" and "built before 9/29/2003". I think that means 03 and 04 trucks with 03 engines. Since the 04 engine has a different turbo with more variable vanes and a different pedestal doesn't have the same resonance than the the 03 engine.

It worked on mine.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:57 PM
khitch710`
Senior User
deleted by user

Last edited by khitch710`; 06-02-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:59 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
It only took them a year to come up with the fix.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:04 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by khitch710`
Mine was built 10/14/03...mine has the vibration...not the drone...1500 Rpms at 55mph...in the floor and pedals....no fix for mine...more or less tough S*** per dealer.....I know there are other trucks built after 9/29/03 have the same problem...maybe Ford will fix ours too....

**** is against the rules. It is considered "masking" profanity with symbols."
Do NOT do it, I will not tolerate it.
This is a FAMILY site