Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting after a few years

what should i do before starting my truck after not starting it for a few years

Old 05-20-2004, 07:16 AM
GlennJenne
Freshman User
qwik, I am not sure how you have waited so long to drive one the great vehicles but, I am sure you have your reasons. I have trouble just waiting over night to get back in mine to come to work. I would highly recommend that you change all of your fluids (including draining/cleaning fuel tank) and start fresh. I would also recommend that you change the fuel and oil filter. Watch closely for leaks after starting, some of the seals may have dry rotted after sitting that long. I am not too sure about this recommendation (I am sure someone will correct me) but, it might be a good idea to get some WD-40 (small amount) and get it into the turbo. This should be interesting. Please log back in and let us know how it went when you do bring the beast back to life. I am curious as to how it will run after the lay off.

r/Glenn

Old 05-20-2004, 08:51 AM
qwik88
Senior User
it should be running sometime this month i need to buy a fuel tank for it and install that
1 more question for ya does a diesel starter crank while it still says wait to start

Old 05-20-2004, 04:50 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your starter will still engage but the truck may not start if the glowplugs have not been on long enough. IMHO it's best to let the light go out before cranking. I just think that it will reduce the number of times you try to crank it 2-3 times before it hits. Driven daily all that extra starter work will reduce the life of your starter.
If I am correct the glowplugs can actually be on after the light goes off. It is a timed event based on the engine oil temperature.