General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Code Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:57 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a home owner I don't want to have my property value go down. At the same time I refuse to let anyone else tell me what to do on my property. When shopping I told my agent that condos and home owners associations were out and she shouldn't waste hers or my time looking at them. If anyone wants a say as to what happens on my little kingdom, they can pony up to a few house payment for me. Till then they have no say

So you knowing chose to live in a subdivision with no home owners association so you could do as you please on your property. It costed me an extra 40K but I bought the property on both sides of the road for a 1/4 mile so I wouldn't have the problems you face.

Last edited by dhermesc; 05-19-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:16 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dhermesc

So you knowing chose to live in a subdivision with no home owners association so you could do as you please on your property. It costed me an extra 40K but I bought the property on both sides of the road for a 1/4 mile so I wouldn't have the problems you face.

Actually I posted that, not the guy who started the thread (Amsnss). I don't have a problem because I don't care what my neighbor does (as long as it is not dangerous or illegal) and I expect/demand that he extend me the same courtesy. If he wants to show his posterior and mix it up with me, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. IE He's trying to sell his house, no garage, smaller home, smaller lot. He's asking $60,000 more money than I paid for mine which has a 4 car garage, a barn with a finished room, larger lot and larger home. I thought I would just put up a "NOT For Sale Sign" on my lot next to his property. The not for sale sign would state the size of the lot, square footage of the home, amenities, AND THE PRICE I PAID! Then see how soon/easy his sale is. I also know what 'Appalacian Lawn Art' is. Anyone for engine parts wind chime? Live chicken coop complete with multille roosters?

Amsnss actually did buy in a division with stated rules but it sounds like there is no enforcement body. I'd suggest that someone (he) get the neighborhood together and organize some sort of enforcement body. It may be difficult/impossible at this point. I imagine that the developer is long gone by now and if there was no homeowner's association established with punitive powers I don't know that one can be established after the fact.

Last edited by 76supercab2; 05-19-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:33 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
heres a solution for the dog problem , get a shotgun , load blanks,or use m-80's when the dog comes near your property, fire the gun or the m-80's, that dog will no longer come near you. as for the cars, get with your other neighbors and buy some car covers and cover them up, be nice. also if you can get a group together, bring a 12 pack and introduce your selves , be nice, use peer pressure, but don't put him on the defensive.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:39 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
Actually I posted that, not the guy who started the thread (Amsnss). I don't have a problem because I don't care what my neighbor does
My apologies, I should pay closer attention before I start typing.

Like your "NOT FOR SALE" idea - except that by posting it you might prolong your exposure to the "Appalacian Lawn Art" collector.

Last edited by dhermesc; 05-19-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:40 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
There should be recorded bylaws. Read them. See what it takes to form/activate the association. It shouldn't be difficult.

Associations can have tremendous powers. Down here in Houston, an association forced an elderly woman into the streets by auctioning her ~$150K home for a couple thousand dollars. This was done to pay a few hundred dollar delinquent dues.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:59 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
think about that !!!! she was somebody's mother. assc's don't make neighbors and neighborhoods, meeting them and talking and helping out do... and they don't cost anything except time and effort. and kicking a elderly lady out in the steet is something i would not be proud of..

Old 05-19-2004, 04:18 PM
The Fife
Senior User
I'll second that - what they did sounds pretty horrible.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:22 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzard
There should be recorded bylaws. Read them. See what it takes to form/activate the association. It shouldn't be difficult.

Associations can have tremendous powers. Down here in Houston, an association forced an elderly woman into the streets by auctioning her ~$150K home for a couple thousand dollars. This was done to pay a few hundred dollar delinquent dues.

Dude, that's just WRONG!

Old 05-19-2004, 09:24 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go buy a couple of ounces of pot/coke/meth and place it in one of the vehicles. Then call the law and claim that you beleive he is storing contraband in one of the vehicles. Problem solved.

There isn't anything quite as gratifying as taking advantage of a scumbag's criminal record and putting it to work for you.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Howdy
Posting Guru
How much do you pay for dues?

I've worked in a few where they pay $30/mo. So that all the lawns are mowed and the exteriors are the same color scemes. I painted one where the customer had to have hot pink. Fine by me, but the repaint was going to be the same price. I was 3/4 done when the Pres. of the HA drove up. Seemed like a lot of money to pay when there's really no way to know if the association will still be there in 10 years. Seems like they all have 4 or 5 people that run around and hassled the neighbors for stuff like not parking in the garage and having the wrong type window shades.

The only HA that appealed to me was one I did a repaint in a few years ago. Was on an old dude ranch. Houses ranged from new to 20 years old. Many different styles. About the only rules were no "hot" colors, no cedar shakes, (fire), keep the brush down, no speeding, construction had to follow code and no mis-match of styles on remodels.

The dues are $150/YEAR! But that's not the kicker. For your money you get: a club house, a big outdoor pool, (away and out of sight of any of the houses), a three acre lake, (stocked), and 300 acres for 4x'ing, horseback riding, or ATVing. They had a stable, but that costs extra to put a horse there. I've considered moving there when my lovely children move away.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:04 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
I totally agree with you that you should be able to do what you want with your property...

BUT !

If I've spent 500K on a home in a subdivision with 1 and 2 acres tracks with the stipulation that those kind of situations WON'T happen, then who is at fault ?

Our constitution says we all have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...
and how much happiness do I have in my own yard if I have to worry about someone else's dog poop in my yard - or the view I bought the place for is ruined thanks to a pack rat ....

What I am saying is that we can both have what we want, just not in the same place... And that is the sole purpose of subdivision restrictions...
the way you should look at it is the restrictions were there before you moved in, don't move in if you don't intend to follow the rules...

Just like I have the right to smoke without forcing you to breathe it !!!!
1. Neighbors' dogs and their poop don't belong in your own yard. No association needed for that. Any dog that gets a swift kick in the chops will think twice about coming near you again. If it's too aggressive of a dog to kick, lead/copper at high velocity works well and is legal most place for self-defense.

2. Sorry to burst your bubble on views, but if you don't OWN the view, I don't believe you should have any rights to it in this country. This whole deal of property values, homeowner's associations, CCRs, etc. has gotten WAY out of hand in this nation. It's bad enough we have to rent our land from the government (ever try NOT paying your property taxes--now whose land is it?), but we should be able to do what we want on our own properties, provided others are not physically harmed, no health hazards and so on. Coming down on nearby landowners because they have a different idea of what is visually acceptable reeks of elitism.

As for the original poster, I feel for you, man. I'd just be ready to take down his dog(s?) if they come on your property, and have no apologies for it. As for the eyesores, I'd just learn to live with it. Don't let his sty disturb your peace. Is it really worth months or years of worry, anguish, legal wrangling, phone calls, letters and angry or scared neighbors over some dude's choice of storage? Live your own life--it sounds like he'll be back in the clink before long anyway. Guys like that seem to enjoy being behind bars because they sure do spend alot of time doing things that land them there.

Jason

Old 05-20-2004, 09:14 AM
xtrememtbkr
New User
http://www.fpasa.co.za/gallery/burning_car.jpg

this is XACTLY what i was thinking

X

Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason....
you may have missed my point of if I buy my proprety for a certain use and IF the rules are in place before I get there then the rules should be enforced...

It is a simple agreeement - just like our laws to stop me from murdering someone without any recourse.......

Old 05-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
That brings up the question of enforcement. These are rules, not laws. The HA can only suggest that someone in violation follow the rules. If that violator feels they don't want to, then the HA can take them to court. If the violator has any sense, he will delay the process as much as he can, say, question the wording of the contract, ect. There's lots of things he can do with little to no expense to him, but possibly 10's of thousands of dollars worth of legal expense to the HA. He might be able turn the tables if he can get the contract thrown out, because it breaks some law. I'm sure it's every HA officials nightmare that some day, they might just have to enforce a rule further than the dirty looks and nasty grams.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:35 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Jason....
you may have missed my point of if I buy my proprety for a certain use and IF the rules are in place before I get there then the rules should be enforced...

It is a simple agreeement - just like our laws to stop me from murdering someone without any recourse.......
Being a man of my word, IF I ever signed such an agreement, I would abide by it. Yes, I may have missed your point there, JD--thanks for not taking me to task on that, but that still doesn't change how I feel about someone "selling" land with all those strings attached.

Cheers,
Jason

Quick Reply: Code Enforcement