6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Top End Speed only limited by Redline would equal ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:15 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna - but too close to the weekend !!!
gotta get a fire ext. bottle and helmet ready for the next time...
and speed rated tires !!!!!!!!!!!

DANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2004, 02:25 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
I am going to put my stock (sort of) and pull my boat to the Coast and do some reds and spec fishing.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
OK all you bad boys from Texas, here's your chance to put you 6.0's where you mouth is. I've answered threads about Bonneville and run there but it's hard to do and expensive with tires, fire systems, fire suits, etc. Here's your chance. Go to www.TexasMile.com and put your hopped up diesel to the test (maybe your stocker too) and write us back what happened. I think their first meet is this weekend. I believe they are a little bit leinent on the rules other land speed trials at El Mirage in Ca. and Maxton in N.C. have. We had a stretched out rear engine Datsun Pickup run 154+ at El mirage this weekend. It ran in unlimited diesel truck with a turbo/roots combo 471.
You are right, the rules are very loose. The only thing I don't have handy is a set of V rated tires that will fit my PSD. That may be a real problem. I think bart makes 15 inch wheels that fit our trucks. There are also some 17 18 and 20 inch rims available with V-rated tires. I'll try to get ready for the next one.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SBV45
I am going to put my stock (sort of) and pull my boat to the Coast and do some reds and spec fishing.
That sounds great. Wish I was going with you! Hope you catch some good ones.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:41 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Choctaw! I'm lookin at a rule book and your awfully optimistic. A "H "rated tire is good to 150-mph "V's" to 200. These trucks have a ever so slight problem called "Wind Resistance" But I appauld your enthusiasm. And being from Texas I could only expect it. Good luck I hope you do it at the mext meet.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Choctaw! I'm lookin at a rule book and your awfully optimistic. A "H "rated tire is good to 150-mph "V's" to 200. These trucks have a ever so slight problem called "Wind Resistance" But I appauld your enthusiasm. And being from Texas I could only expect it. Good luck I hope you do it at the mext meet.
Their rules. Minimum V rated tires

I think the truck will run 135 - 140

Old 05-19-2004, 08:40 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry Choctaw. Dirt and salt are different from conrete. I don't blame them for protecting themselves. Hope you find a way to do it and report back

Old 05-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Sorry Choctaw. Dirt and salt are different from conrete. I don't blame them for protecting themselves. Hope you find a way to do it and report back
The 20 inchers off a Caddy should work on Drag lite rims if they will meet load range D.

We have some time to research this out. I might go down anyway to see if they mind. me checking things out fot a future Team Assault!

Afew years back, State farm said that I was covered until I pulled on the track and uncovered until I pulled off the track. I can handle4 that!

Last edited by Choctaw Bob; 05-19-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
When I take my bike to the track, I'm covered as long as it isn't a timed event. If it is just a practice session and I crash then I could turn in the claim and be OK - though I might get a rate hike for an at fault claim.

If however, I were in an actual race and crashed, then it would be on my dime.

My insurance is Allstate, though the same would have been true with AAA. My wife is an insurance agent and has worked for both AAA and Allstate, though right now she just works for my daughter :-)

I'm not sure if 1/4 mile testing at the strip qualifies as a timed event. I'm sure that if you were running the 1/4 mile in head to head racing, or even solo, as part of a competition then it would probably be considered a timed event for insurance purposes.

I've checked with a couple different sources though for the road race track, not that I don't trust my wife, and all agree - practice sessions OK, races not covered.

Daryl

Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Good point...
all the more reason to go a little over and above the minimum safety thresholds on tires, and alignment and ....

I stopped having fun on my bikes when in the middle of a high speed run i would start thinking - "Hmmm, did I tighten that front hub and put the carter key back in ?"

but I do miss all the trails, motorcross and the few road races I did !!!!

Old 05-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Good point...
all the more reason to go a little over and above the minimum safety thresholds on tires, and alignment and ....

I stopped having fun on my bikes when in the middle of a high speed run i would start thinking - "Hmmm, did I tighten that front hub and put the carter key back in ?"

but I do miss all the trails, motorcross and the few road races I did !!!!
Fastest crash I ever had on the track was at around 120 -130 MPH, and a handful in the 60 - 80 MPH range. All nice easy lowsides where I didn't get hurt and the bike didn't sustain much damage :-)

On the 120 MPH one, I slid for over 220 ft uphill. In all cases except one I got up and walked away with either no damage or a slight bruise. In one case where I got taken out by another rider I did get a concussion and had to go for a ride to the hospital for a check out. I was fine, but my wife was not happy. She got pregnent right after that so I called it quits and now just do non competitive events and open practice where you can take it a bit easier.

I have seen video of some crashes on the silverstate challenge or whatever that is called, so some of these closed road speed/time trials aren't without incident.

If any of you guys do push the envelope out there at one of these events or else where, take care and good luck. Crashing at speed in any vehicle's no fun.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by darylhunter
Fastest crash I ever had on the track was at around 120 -130 MPH, and a handful in the 60 - 80 MPH range. All nice easy lowsides where I didn't get hurt and the bike didn't sustain much damage :-)

On the 120 MPH one, I slid for over 220 ft uphill. In all cases except one I got up and walked away with either no damage or a slight bruise. In one case where I got taken out by another rider I did get a concussion and had to go for a ride to the hospital for a check out. I was fine, but my wife was not happy. She got pregnent right after that so I called it quits and now just do non competitive events and open practice where you can take it a bit easier.

I have seen video of some crashes on the silverstate challenge or whatever that is called, so some of these closed road speed/time trials aren't without incident.

If any of you guys do push the envelope out there at one of these events or else where, take care and good luck. Crashing at speed in any vehicle's no fun.
Safety is always first.
I have been hurt racing motocross many times years ago. Don't want to race again where in order to win you have to be first in turn 1 and if you go in over your head and fall, everyone else runs over you.

I will take it nice and easy. Thanks for your concern.