Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Quick Warm-up Hint

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 10:14 PM
choirman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Warm-up Hint

I am new to the PSD but I have found a usefull way to warm-up the motor a little faster. I live in Northeastern Alabama. Our winters are not all that cold but we still have many morning in the teen's and 20's in the mountains where we're at. I started plugging in my truck to get a faster start up. I then thought I would just leave it plugged up as I ran the motor during warm-up.

Hey! It warmed up faster and reached operating temp. buy the time I was ready to drive. Maybe this was obvious and the way it is suppose to be done, but most of the guys I talked to around here don't even plug theirs in and told me to go through 2 or 3 cylcles of the "wait to start" before cranking. I've got better things to do than sit in a cold truck waiting for a light to go off.

This is my 3rd Ford truck.
F350 PSD 4x4 CC LB 6sp.

Choirman.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:28 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
Quick Warm-up Hint

choirman,

i can't think of anything that would be hurt by this right off hand. i live in mississippi so my winters are pretty similar to yours. only thing that comes to mind is the fact that when you plug your PSD in, it's about the equivalent of taking your wife's 1500 watt hair dryer, plugging it in and turning it on and leaving it all night. Can get a little energy intensive!!! I believe it's somewhere in the vicinity of 1200-1500 watts. that's why most folks who live "down here" where we live don't bother to plug theirs in. "up yonder" where it gets REALLY cold, they really need it to get that big motor running, but down where we live, it's not really necessary. still, if ya wanna plug it in, plug it in!!!

i hope you're as happy with your psd as i am.

Old 01-26-2002, 05:18 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Quick Warm-up Hint

Joe might have better info on this but I have always been told to unplug the electric heater before starting a diesel. The reasoning is that if a air bubble passes through the heating elements, they will burn in two and then it's time for a new one.

alanscott

Old 01-26-2002, 10:18 PM
BigDeezil58
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Warm-up Hint

I agree with alanscott. With the engine running, water is circulating around the element creating an air pocket around the element. you will eventually burn it up. Maybe The Diesel Dude can prove us wrong, but that's my experience anyway. Sorry to kick yer puppy.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:13 PM
mississaugi
New User
Quick Warm-up Hint

Up here in central Ontario, Canada, most guys I know do the same as I do, we put our trucks on a timer, when it's -40c (-40f) it only takes 2 hours to warm the engine. When the temp is warmer we just adjust the timer accordingly. Putting your block heater on any longer than that is a waste of hydro. Another addition for colder climates is a battery warmer (electric blanket) as your battery losses 50% of it's capacity at 0 degrees.

In the 4 years I've owned Ford diesels I have never burned out a block heater by leaving it plugged in during warm-up.

Just my 2 cents.

Geoff
(In the great white north)

Old 01-28-2002, 08:21 PM
choirman
Freshman User
Quick Warm-up Hint

OK ! I am using a timer now and will give it 2 hours in the morning. I feel that, even though our weather is not as cold as up north, it is still usefull to plug in the motor to shorten the warm-up time. What could that hurt???? Yea, I know I don't need to but hey, the new hasn't worn off and I like being around my shop and TRUCK.

Thanks for the info. (I won't be a lug, I'll unplug)

Old 01-30-2002, 05:16 PM
David Brock
New User
Quick Warm-up Hint

Well, it actually got cold enough in Sacramento that things started to freeze. It occurred to me that maybe I should use that handy-dandy engine block heater that I saw mentioned on the window sticker. Now here is the big question: where is the silly thing? I imagine there should be a cord somewhere but I don't see it. Can you tell me where it hides? I have a 2001 F250 4x4 PowerStroke.

David

BTW, first posting

Old 01-30-2002, 08:58 PM
choirman
Freshman User
Quick Warm-up Hint

Look in behind the front bumper. Mine comes through the opening to the right of the tag mount. The wire is covered in a protective plastic wiring tube. If you can't find it from the front, go to the oil filter and look just above the filter. You should see a good size oval shaped wire coming out. Follow that wire and you'll find the plug.

Good Luck

Old 01-31-2002, 02:48 AM
per4manz
New User
Post Quick Warm-up Hint