Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Towing Recommendations Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:59 PM
gmelton
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing Recommendations Needed

I am a new PSD owner and am in need of some advice. I recently purchased a 1999 PSD CC 4x4 auto longbed to be used as a tow vehicle as well as my daily driver. I tow a 10,000 lb 32 foot travel trailer at least once a month and make several trips per year of 600+ miles. I am looking for recommendations that will yield the best fuel economy during towing and save the E4Od/4R100 transmission.

While towing at 65 mph in overdrive, the engine is turning approximately 1900 rpm. The PSD does not appear to have any power issues while pulling the trailer in overdrive. On hills and steep overpasses it will kick out of overdrive. Am I towing too fast? Should I slow down and tow in drive. In this configuration, the computer indicates 9.7 mpg (which beats the heck out of my previous gas 460 which got 5-6 mpg ). It appears to me that the faster you travel with the PSD, the lower the fuel milage. When not towing, I get between 16-17 if I keep my foot out of it. Any thoughts from the towing crowd out there would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Old 05-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg,

I tow a 12,000 lb toyhauler, So you know I have some comparison to your situation. I would tell you to get gauges, a larger tranny cooler and trans pan. Get these as a minimum. I would also get a better air intake and a larger exhaust. If you like get a chip or tuner as well. These are my recommendations but the first three are a must if you want to save your tranny and engine!!!!

Fire Rooster

Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I think most everyone would agree to definately get a set of gauges, Tranny gauge that starts at 100. Opening up the intake and exhaust will definately lower the egt's as well as give you a little more power. A good tranny commander, like the Transcommand from banks, will definately extend the life of the tranny. Congrats on the new truck

Mike

Old 05-11-2004, 09:16 PM
gmelton
Freshman User
Fire Rooster,

Thanks for the info. I have a Hughes Performance tranny pan sitting in the garage that just arrived today. Still researching the guages. I looked at the tranny cooler in my truck and I was surprised how large it was. My 1990 460/7.5l gas motor and E4OD had about 1/4th the cooler (stock, which was quickly changed) that this truck has. It would appear that Ford has at least learned a few leasons about their transmissions since 1990. I was considering the Long Manufacturing Tru-Cool Max cooler or possibly getting another stock one from the junkyard and placing it in parallel with the existing stock one (I believe the stock one was manufactured by Long). What would you think of that for a possible installation?

Thanks In Advance,
Greg

Old 05-11-2004, 09:21 PM
gmelton
Freshman User
Mike,

If you don't mind, educate me a little. I am familiar with the Transcommand. I almost installed one in my 1990. Do the "performance" chips out there that say they control/fix the E4OD/4R100 do the same thing as the Transcommand? In other words, should I buy a chip and get more bang for the buck (no pun intended) than with the Transcommand alone?

Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
f350xlt460
Elder User
when mounting a aux cooler, mount it after the stock (in radiator) cooler. In other words, in series.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Check out the banks website HERE it give a lot of information about their transcommand module. I must say that there are others out there, but I think they do a good job of explaining what it does, they also have some good information on Torque Converters as well.

From what I know, some chips/tuners can control the tranny to a degree. My truck has superchip in it, there when I bought it, sometimes I think takes over the tranny and other times I don't think it does anything with the tranny. I plan on getting a 5th wheel within the next year and fromt he research I have done, will mostlikely get the transcommand from banks.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg,

I installed the tru-cool max last week, I haven't towed with it yet but I will this weekend. I would say to go with a new cooler as to avoid any possible corrosion and or blockage in a used junkyard item. Just my two cents. I would say the tru-cool max is the way to go!!!!. I have the same trans pan you do and I love it. Smart move. Make sure you get the gauges too. I do not know anything about the trans command but some guys here do and they swear by it.

Fire Rooster

Old 05-11-2004, 10:33 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
All that has been said so far is good. Keep the tranny in OD unless it starts seeking. You are in a good range at 1900 RPM. Anything above 2000 seems to make the mileage drop quickly.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM
gmelton
Freshman User
Fire Rooster,

How many quarts did the tranny pan add to you fill? I could not find definite info for the E4OD, only that the pan added 2 to 4 quarts depending on the transmission (meaning for all the pans Hughes makes for all the various transmissions).

Thanks,
Greg