6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

leave engine on when refilling???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 03:28 PM
kapnkavman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leave engine on when refilling???

hello all,

pretty simple question.....is it safe to keep the engine running during refill at the gas station????
all big rigs keep their trucks running.....any thoughts???

Old 05-11-2004, 03:55 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Yes, because diesel oil doesn't produce the flammable fumes that gas does. You could actually take a light match and drop it in diesel and it wouldn't ignite although I RECOMMEND YOU NOT DO THAT. I usually leave my truck running when I refuel simply because it only takes 2 minutes or so and I don't have additional wear on the starter or battery drain. 2 minutes isn't long enough to worry about idleing anyway.

Old 05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might add that your fuel gauge won't come up right away when you fuel up with the engine running.

Old 05-11-2004, 05:19 PM
ssls6
Tuned
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts
Good question. If I'm highballing down the interstate or pulling a trailer then yes, I leave it idling. If I'm running around town then usually no, I kill it. I have noticed that most diesels I fuel beside are running.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, here is the "Beachbum's" advice...

If I am driving on a trip and running hard, I leave the engine running while I fill up so it cools the turbo & oil down (saves wear & tear on bearings). If I plan on getting a snak or eating, I then idle to parking area and shut down while eating.

Upon re-starting, overhead gauge resets and off I go. My fuel gauge always goes to FULL after refilling... even if I leave engne on, but overhead "miles to empty" does not reset until key is removed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 05-12-2004, 01:03 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
My fuel gauge always goes to FULL after refilling... even if I leave engne on, but overhead "miles to empty" does not reset until key is removed.
That's weird. I guess Ford didn't plan on people refueling with the engine on.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:47 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
That's weird. I guess Ford didn't plan on people refueling with the engine on.

They did not, it is a pain............I think they did not plan for a few other things also

Old 05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
csherman4383
Junior User
Leave them engines running...............won't hurt but help you not to melt your turbo and extra wear and tear on your starter..............just don't ground yourself to your truck while fueling.......!

Old 05-12-2004, 12:36 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by csherman4383
just don't ground yourself to your truck while fueling.......!
Diesel won't ignite from a spark so don't worry about it.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:28 PM
CruisnPhantom
Senior User
hmm...most gas engine owners don't know that...sure would be funny to pull the nozzle out and play with your cigarette lighter as they watch and probably run

Old 05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
vellingapa
Senior User
I leave mine running all the time when re-fueling. The fuel guage in my 6.0 although slow - it isn't near as slow as the one in my old 2001 7.3L.
That being said, in some states it is illegal to leave your vehicle running while refueling. In addition, I have experienced on several occassions where fuel attendents have come out and told me I had to turn my vehicle off to use their pumps. Most people don't realize that diesel is not near as votile as gas.....

On the other hand.... you might want to be careful not to forget which vehicle your fueling - i.e. gas or diesel. I've seen numeous safety videos where as gas has been ignited while fueling even when the vehicle isn't running. Wonder how many of us know that it is unsafe to start fueling a gas vehice and to get back into the car and stay warm while waiting for your car to fuel.... If you don't ground yourself after getting out of the car, static electricity alone can set the gas on fire. The same thing applies to filling plastic fuel containers in the back of your truck with gas - Bad idea. I work for an oil company hence we get to see a lot of the results of such actions.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 AM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I question the comment about being able to put a lighted match in my tank!

Many, many years ago, I worked in the oil field while going to school. We used salamander heaters fueled with #2 diesel to keep warm at night. The diesel lit very easily with just a match. It may be way less volatile than gasoline, but it is still volatile.

Relaying this, just so someone dosn't take you seriously and drops a lit match into there tank.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:42 AM
matt1751
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leave mine running all the TIme while refueling, nothing to worry about,, here in NJ it is illegal to pump your own fuel or gas but at the stations I go to the guys are cool to us diesel owners and don't say anything about leaving our trucks running or even pumping our own fuel, I think their just glad they don't have to get up out of their chair plus I don't want some idiot to spill diesel down the side of my white truck,, I've seen it happen to many times,, . I will usually even leave my gas vehicles running as well unless told to shut it off.... just my thoughts,,

Old 05-13-2004, 11:06 AM
03f350crew
Senior User
Left my Diesel running yesterday to fuel up and the gauge came right on up with no delay. I would never leave a gas engine running though because it is more volitile and more importantly people get ticked off when someone doesn't shut off their engine around here. I don't see them get mad about diesel's doing it though. I guess they know for the most part that it is safer for the Diesel.

Last edited by 03f350crew; 05-13-2004 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Didn't realized that ****ed is a bad word.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:11 AM
03f350crew
Senior User
Originally Posted by csherman4383
Leave them engines running...............won't hurt but help you not to melt your turbo and extra wear and tear on your starter..............just don't ground yourself to your truck while fueling.......!
I thought it was the other way around. You are supposed to ground yourself to the vehicle before touching the nozzle so that you don't get a spark from static. I think the idea is that any static in you will be taken from the vehicle rather than touch the nozzle and get a spark.

Quick Reply: leave engine on when refilling???