Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few more questions?

Old 03-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Z28PULLER
New User
Few more questions?

Well I really learned a lot yesterday about the diesel. I read a lot about the heating up of the motor and cooling down of the motor. Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll remember that. I'm planning an oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, maybe tranny fluid change in the very near future. I bought the truck used so I'm gonna go ahead and change everything so I know it's done and get my routine started. Before I ask anything else let me ask this. My truck is a 94 F-250, not turbo, and the motor is grey. I've seen some things advertised for 94 trucks but some things are for 94.5 trucks. I looked on the inside of my door today to see what it said. It said december of 1993. So does that make it an early 94 and not a 94.5. Ok now on to the good stuff. How do I change the fuel filter. I know how to screw it off, but I guess I just wanted to know if there were any secrets of the trade so to speak. Should I run it first or wait till it sits a while? How much fuel will I lose and do I need to fill it with fuel before I put the new one on? Where is the best place to get the fuel filter? Any and all help on that would be appreciated. I took the air filter out today just to see how difficult it would be to get to it. Not bad. Just wondering about the two tabs that come off the bottom of the air cleaner holder. Are they just guides to help put it back on or what? Is it normal to have a lot of black build up right under the air cleaner. There's like a screen thing there and under it it's all black. Hope that's normal. Well one more and I'll shut up. What guages would I need for a non-turbo truck? Where is the best/cheapest place to get them? That should be all for now. Sorry so long. Thanks for the help.

Wesley
94 F-250 7.3 4X4 35" Mud Terrains

Old 03-22-2002, 10:46 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
Few more questions?

yes you want to fill the fuel filter up before installing it. then when I start it after installing I'll step on the pedal so when starting. running the engine first doesn't really matter, it just depends if you like buring yourself on a hot engine. I would go to the local autoparts store for filters. and most of the ones I've seen around here get a lot of black crud up near the intake. I haven't done any after market gauges myself.

Old 03-23-2002, 11:01 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Few more questions?

If you have the automatic tranny I would install a trans. temp. gauge. Sustained temps over about 210-220*f will start destrying your fluid. When you change the fluid, use a good quality synthetic, like Mobil 1. It will take the heat better. You may also want to install a coolant temp and oil pressure gauge with REAL numbers on them. None of this is really necessary however unless you are towing with the truck.

Les

Old 03-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Z28PULLER
New User
Few more questions?

The reason I bought the truck was to pull my car around. So I guess I'll need some of these guages huh? Which ones are important for towing??

wesley

Old 03-25-2002, 02:19 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Few more questions?

If your engine is painted gray it is the old 7.3L IDI engine NOT the Power Stroke.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:04 PM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Few more questions?

Tranny temp gauge is a must with the automatic.

Les

Search this Thread