Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 camshaft position sensor workshop

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 07:51 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb 7.3 camshaft position sensor workshop

Here is an attempt to figure out what the name of the camshaft position sensor is, why it fails, how to troubleshoot it, and prevent reoccurences.
Here goes-

There are two basic types of camshaft position sensors devices, I don't know what the 7.3 uses. It's probably a hall effect switch or it's a magnetic reluctance sensor. How many wires hook up the sensor? Two wires is probably a reluctance sensor, three wires is probably a hall effect.

Can anyone give some solid information on this device? I think it can be called CPS or the CMP, depending on International or Ford terminology.

Where are the electrical connectors that tie in this sensor? How does the PCM use the input from device? (raise/lower boost, change fuel delivery,...?)

Is the device powered through the PCM or is there a relay somewhere? Does the input generate its own signal ( a passive device? )

What triggers the device?

I'll bet that that almost the same device is mounted somwhere in some piece of equipment. Is there an alternative device that could send the same input to the PCM? A different length or sensitivity, is that a possibility?

I know that one of the senior users has posted a link to some pictures of the sensors and their locations. I know I've seen it but I ain't real computer savvy.

If we can get an informative and detailed thread on it I will turn it in to a tech article somehow and we can resolve this issue.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:58 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said in the other thread, there are already tons of posts on this topic. I'm not trying to negate what you're trying to do, but there's not much that can be done. Only Ford and International make the part and they are both prone to failure periodically, as are a lot of other sensors in modern engines. Ford calls it a CMP Sensor and International calls it a CAMP Sensor. There is already a submission as part of the Super Duty FAQ on how to change it and the picture links you are referring to are in the previous thread.

I think we all need to live with the failure-prone part because of availability of the part and inability to bypass it. If you want to read more posts on this topic there will be plenty of reading if you use the search function.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 05-09-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 PM
International Tech
Senior User
ill give ya some info off the top of my head. It is a Hall Effect sensor which is triggered by a Wheel on the camshaft gear. ( go to my gallery pic there). The Cam sensor is a 3 wire sensor which sends its own signal to the PCM for engine timing. As far as other uses, We use the same setup on our I6 engines but have seen none on anything else the same. Ill come back w/ more info.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Fordtech1
Senior User
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a Hall-effect type sensor that generates a digital frequency, as windows in a target wheel pass through its magnetic field. The frequency of the windows passing by the sensor as well as the width of selected windows allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to detect engine speed and position.

Engine Speed — Is determined by counting the 12 windows on the cam gear each camshaft revolution.

Fuel Timing Control — The position of cylinders No. 1 and No. 4 is determined by distinguishing a narrow or wide window on the camshaft gear.

From Ford Shop Manual

Old 05-10-2004, 09:35 PM
subdewd
New User
seems to me that any hall effect sensors w/12vdc input would work. I assume it's the mounting that make it "genuine".