1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting location for brake controller???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mounting location for brake controller???

I am looking for an alternative mounting location for my trailer brake controller. In my 2002, I mounted it to the underside of the dash to the right of the steering column, beneath the storage cubby. I have seen that pictures in most people's galleries show it in the same location. Is there a better place to mount it? I really hate drilling holes in the dash if I don't have to. I was looking to mount it above the parking brake, but my bracket is not long enough to reach the metal support, maybe I could shim it with washers. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:18 AM
Jackflack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put mine in the little cubby hole below the dash.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:19 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I welded a bracket together that bolts to the steel frame behind the access panel under the steering wheel,, my controler is just below the access panel,, so the panel can still be removed, I welded it together for my 99' and it fit my 04' also.

Good luck ! later,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mark

Old 05-09-2004, 05:49 AM
hdf250
Freshman User
In my 02, I bought a small , high plastic console, put an "L" bracket on side and controller mounted on the bracket.. made it easy to reach, transferred the console which sets on floor hump to my 04. advise getting a controller with digital readout numbers, much easier to set.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:13 PM
uponyou21
Senior User
cubby hole!!!

Old 05-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Edmo
Senior User
Still think "below-the-cubby" is best for me... See gallery under "Big Red".

Edmo

Old 05-10-2004, 11:09 AM
cwb
Posting Guru
Do you fiddle with it alot or set it and forget it? I tie wired mine to the bottom of the lower metal dash support under the access panel. It is in there tight and I can reach it if I either look down while stting in the seat or get out and look under the panel. I will put up a pic if I think of it.

Last edited by cwb; 05-10-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
It's pretty much set and forget it for me. I have never had to manually apply just the trailer brakes, but want to keep it accessible just in case. This afternoon I am going to try different locations to the left of the steering column about where the parking brake is. The cubby hole looks like a good place to mount it, but I don't want to drill holes for the wires to pass through. I always take my brake controller out of the vehicle when I sell it (I'm on my 3rd super duty since Oct of 2001), so unsightly holes are unwanted.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:14 PM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
It's pretty much set and forget it for me. I have never had to manually apply just the trailer brakes, but want to keep it accessible just in case. This afternoon I am going to try different locations to the left of the steering column about where the parking brake is. The cubby hole looks like a good place to mount it, but I don't want to drill holes for the wires to pass through. I always take my brake controller out of the vehicle when I sell it (I'm on my 3rd super duty since Oct of 2001), so unsightly holes are unwanted.
If you like the cubby hole idea you could always replace the cubby hole trim pocket when you sell it, or stick a plastic plug in the hole. Who would know if you drilled the hole in the very back of the hole?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:39 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
TT, let us know what you decide, with pics if possible.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Spent some time in the cab of my truck looking for the perfect mounting location today. Above the parking brake pedal would have been perfect for me, but the parking brake release level will not function then. I fit my controller in the cubby hole and it does not look "right" to me there, so that is also out.

Looks like I'll be mounting it on the dash below the cubby hole. One of my trucks is ESOF and the other has a manual transfer case shifter. With the controller mounted here, looks like there is just enough clearance to grab the transfer case shifter.

If it every stops raining here, I'll try get some good pics of my trucks. I'll also show my custom painted mud flaps and my trailer brake mounting.