2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x2 compared to 4x4...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 02:53 PM
fatman66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not everyone of us is some yuppie weekend warrior type who jumps right in his shiny new 4x4 from the dealer and goes rock crawling or mudding and gets in over our head. I for one like trucks and if the nasty winter weather that prevails here most of the year a 4x2 truck is dangerous, the "store bought" 4x4 works just fine to get me around safely in a lot of snow, slush and ice. I'de love to have the cash to sink into big tires, locking differentials, lift kits and better articulation but then again I would love to have the time to actually use the truck for anything that would require them. Plus I just got rid of an old beater b/c I got sick and tired of pouring money into it to keep it running, the monthly paymnets are worth the piece of mind. I'm not trying to flame you BroncoJohn, but that post was really offensive to those of us who have a "store bought" 4x4 b/c we feel we need them and have no illusions to being rock crawlers.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:20 PM
deceptikon
New User
MRf150. Do you drive that Blazing yellow thats always there on Mccoll? I live on Mccoll.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Broncojohn
Senior User
To explain myself, I've been a truck owner since I first got my license. I've owned *every* kind of light duty ford truck bodystyle from the early 60's to today. I've only purchased 2 new: my '92 XLT EXTCAB 4x4 and my '04 XLT REG 4x2. Personally, I prefer my 66' Bronco (which I didn't buy for the looks, "prestige" and didn't cost a lot of money--but I am sure as he## more proud of it than my new trucks!) All others I've purchased used, and I purchased all for the purpose of using them. I've lived in climates from the beaches in Southern California, the desert/mountains in Reno Nevada to the glaciers and bogs of Keflavik, Iceland. I more than understand the need for a reliable well built truck. It just chaps my As# to read about people who brag about their truck and don't even use it. When I say "use" I mean for the purpose they were intended--for WORK and not only for looks or because it is "cool" or the big old 4x4 sticker on the side gives them a big head rush.
This thread started out with a legitimate question. Is the 4x2 weaker? The answer is "No", if you know & understand the limitations. The answer, "you'll get stuck on the beach" must have been meant for some silly surfer dude, and the statement that only "real" men buy 4x4's is weak. But then again, I don't have to trash talk about another man's 'manhood'--a "real" man already would know his limitations and doesn't get stuck in the first place. Trucks were designed for work. If I ran my 4x2 out in the field to check on the cattle after the first rain, I'd be buried up in the mud and 4x4 may not help. I've had 4x2 on the beach and pulled out heavy footed 4x4 owners. I apologize to the people who really use/need them. My truck is rated at 13500 GCVWR and I had it up to 11700 last week and I do this on a regular basis. My old 1ton was rated at 14200 GVWR and I've had it over 15K, I use my trucks. I didn't buy my truck because it looks cool (even though it does), I *need* my truck. We can hash this all we want to, and dirt can be flung my way, and that's a-ok. I can see the people on here are serious about their trucks and using them--but if any of us can say we don't know one (or even ten others) who have the 4x4 simply because they think it's "cooler" or mistakenly think it's automatically better-- then you're lying Truck on, people.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:21 AM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Broncojohn
I can see the people on here are serious about their trucks and using them--but if any of us can say we don't know one (or even ten others) who have the 4x4 simply because they think it's "cooler" or mistakenly think it's automatically better-- then you're lying Truck on, people.
You did come across pretty strong on that first post I must admit.

I for one would love a 4x4 myself just for the looks as well as the resale value. To be honest, I would rarely use it for what it was intended for, so I choose to save my money and drive my 4x2. I could have afforded it, but what a waste.

To each his own is what I say.

P.S. Did you like my pics up above...hehe

Old 05-09-2004, 10:41 AM
hovy
Senior User
I have owned 20+ trucks since the early 60's. You learn fast that 4x4 is really not that good in the mud and deep snow..Now combine that with a ls rear end you can get out of most jambs..Even some 4x2's with a ls can take on some pretty bad logging roads, but I know for a fact that I would not be caught dead out in the boonies without both....Also second biggest reason is RESALE!!!!! You can sell a beat up 4x4 a lot easier than you can the same 4x2 any day also the difference alway makes up for the purchase price....I know because I have sold-traded a lot of them!:O)

Old 05-09-2004, 10:57 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hovy
You learn fast that 4x4 is really not that good in the mud and deep snow
you're right....cause my 4x4 would never take me through any kind of mud and 4x4 just sucks!

some of you should take this to the off-road side of the board

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 05-09-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Broncojohn
Senior User
Tex, Pics were cool Hovy, your right, I usually don't consider resale. I'll beat mine up till its in the junkyard, or it's not worth much. I.E. I've spent $25K and now the high retail is $2k. So $500 is pocket change in comparison, especially when buying a new truck. I usually have to sell mine private because the trade-in is an insult..

Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 AM
fatman66
Senior User
I heard something once that 4x4 dosn't keep you from getting stuck it just gets you stuck in worse places... I have had 4x2 and 4x4 trucks and with the climate I drive in in the winter, that 4x4 is well worth it. If I lived in arizona or someplace similar I would probably have a 4x2 as it would suit my needs.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 AM
tuckster
New User
Talking

a must see! http://www.pioneernet.net/gtuck12_31/photogallery/photo6073/DSC12.JPG
ya see that there tree stump? that beater to the left pulled that sucker across a field that my tractor wouldnt. Yes..its a 4x4...but I drug it in 2wd. I dont truck bash on anybody....except for the fools that spend $$$$$$$ on a truck to make it look like one great monster rig and the closest thing to dirt or work it's ever seen was a tailgate party in someones back pasture. But hey!!!! It did haul the keg!!!

Old 05-10-2004, 11:19 AM
fooch
New User
I have never owned a 4x2 mainly because in Northern Missouri we get a fair amount of snow and all the huntin I do takes me into some pretty mucky beanfields and cut corn fields in the winter, and my "yuppy" store bought 4x4 (only added aftermarket skid plates to keep rocks and logs from puncturing something) seems to get me wherever I need to go. I learned along time ago that if my "store bought" truck cant do it, I'm better off walkin in with my bow/gun, or using a ATV. Having said that, around here, if you have more than about two inches of lift and bigger than about 32 inch tires you are pretty much classified as a serious REDNECK. In fact, I think they give out a free rebel flag, spitoon, gunrack (no real hunter would ruin the guns in a gun rack) and some of those chrome naked lady mudflaps with all tire and lift upgrades. But, maybe thats just around here?

Old 05-10-2004, 11:29 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
I would go with a 4x4 because they front ends are stronger and the gvw is a little higher. I have both and I prefer 4x4 for pulling trailers. Yes there is more to maintain to a 4x4 but if I get into a place were I need it. Its worth it.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Broncojohn
Senior User
Most people have the misconception that the 4x4 front end is stronger. You must take into consideration that the manufacturer has to remove metal to provide room for the 4x4 components. Then they must cast the parts larger to accommodate the axles and other components; they are restricted by space and performance characteristics and will cut corners to make them fit/work. In the years of owning 4x4's and 4x2s I have broken both but more 4x4's. There usually the same components on either machine I.E:balljoints, tierods, bushings and swing arm bolts. You are more capable of breaking a 4x4 frontend then a 4x2 because you tend to abuse the 4x4 more and the 4x4 frontend can be self destructive, especially during sharp turning. Just because the truck looks bigger and stronger doesn't mean it is. You can see a prime example of this with baja racers. The 4x4 racers have to beef up there front ends considerably more then the 4x2's to keep them from coming apart. So its my associates and mine opinion that the 4x4 and 4x2 front ends are equally strong taking into considerations their use. If your towing a trailer on dry pavement you couldn't tell the difference. Except you'd have to stop for gas more often in the 4x4. This only because on the shift on the fly feature most new trucks have which leaves the drivetrain turning all the time causing more drag.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:59 PM
tuckster
New User
Well said. My F250 is a 4x4. The amount of time that I have actually had to use the 4x4 option is far less than most would expect. My truck is used strictly as a truck...not a mudder or for the so called (stump jumper). So far I haven't broken anything. Mostly because I use it for what it was meant for. I have witnessed my buddies spend more time, effort and money repairing busted front axles, hubs, etc...than they have spent time having fun off-roading. But, if ya got the money and the time to do it...go for it. But as for me, I can't afford to drop cash on my truck just because I wanted to see if it would catch air or make that climb. My truck is pretty much still stock as far as the suspension goes. The t-fer case, tranny and hubs are after market but that's only because of what I use the truck for. HARD WORK. Which it does very well.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:06 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Broncojohn
Most people have the misconception that the 4x4 front end is stronger. You must take into consideration that the manufacturer has to remove metal to provide room for the 4x4 components. Then they must cast the parts larger to accommodate the axles and other components; they are restricted by space and performance characteristics and will cut corners to make them fit/work. In the years of owning 4x4's and 4x2s I have broken both but more 4x4's. There usually the same components on either machine I.E:balljoints, tierods, bushings and swing arm bolts. You are more capable of breaking a 4x4 frontend then a 4x2 because you tend to abuse the 4x4 more and the 4x4 frontend can be self destructive, especially during sharp turning. Just because the truck looks bigger and stronger doesn't mean it is. You can see a prime example of this with baja racers. The 4x4 racers have to beef up there front ends considerably more then the 4x2's to keep them from coming apart. So its my associates and mine opinion that the 4x4 and 4x2 front ends are equally strong taking into considerations their use. If your towing a trailer on dry pavement you couldn't tell the difference. Except you'd have to stop for gas more often in the 4x4. This only because on the shift on the fly feature most new trucks have which leaves the drivetrain turning all the time causing more drag.
I can tell the differents when towing a trailer it do,es handle much different and I also go off road a lot and 4wd is great when you are on someones lawn and you don't want to tareit up. If I lived in flat ground no hills I would probely go with a 4x2. But the low range is great if you are over loaded and you are starting on a steep hill.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If four wheel drive was stonger than all 18 wheelers toting 80,000 would have it. This is an old wives tail. Ford did not even have factory 4x4 till 1959..

Quick Reply: 4x2 compared to 4x4...