1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Swapping non-heat/ac seats on '03 EB Expy with heated/ac seats????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:53 PM
khelms_98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping non-heat/ac seats on '03 EB Expy with heated/ac seats????

I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition that doesn't have the heated and cooled front seats. I live in south Georgia so the cooled seats would be really REALLY great on these hot summer days after my Expy has sat out in the sun all day. Does anyone know if I can swap out the front seats in my Expy with heated/cooled seats. I know that I will need the front console as well to control the heat/ac in the seats. I found a set of heated and cooled front seats on EBAY but they don't come with the console. What are you guys' thoughts? Is it even worth the trouble?

Old 05-06-2004, 06:46 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You would have to have the ducting as well from the main unit and harness for the added components.. I think it also has a different main AC control head as well. Not sure on that.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:36 PM
khelms_98
Senior User
So it would probably just be more trouble than it is worth. Thanks for your reply Homer.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:41 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
I wouldnt say that point blank, it may be very important to you, just very expensive unless you can gather up every part in one deal at a decent price. Id just hate to see you purchase half of it and still end up with nuttin.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:22 PM
TerryB99
Freshman User
I don't think there is any ducting or link with the AC system. There is a small heat pump and fan in each seat. My '00 Nav has them. There is even a small filter under it to filter the air that is drawn from under the seat. There is no link to the console I am aware. All the controls are on the seats. The EVTM shows the drivers and passengers seats to be totally independent, with only sharing power. I know mine is usually set to low cool, while my wife sets her to warm.

I think if you can wire it, it could be done.

Don't forget that some seats will have side air bags in them. Don't know what that would be like to mess with.

Last edited by TerryB99; 05-08-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
You are correct. I reference the service manual and it appears it utilizes a peltier device to cool the air.Khelms it appears you may have hope yet.

Principles of Operation

Temperature Controlled Seat System

Both the driver and front passenger seats have an independent temperature controlled seat system installed. A temperature controlled seat module mounted to the bottom of the seat cushion electronically controls the temperature controlled seat system. The temperature controlled seat system receives power from both the battery power and vehicle run circuits. The vehicle must be running and the temperature controlled seat switch fan speed selector thumb wheel switch in position 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 for the temperature controlled seat system to activate.

Cabin air is drawn through the set fan motor and distributed to each of the thermo-electric device (TED) modules located in the seat cushion and backrest. The TEDs then heat or cool the air. The air is then directed into the foam pad B-surface. Channels in the A-surface of the foam pad are used to distribute the air along the surface of the seat.

Once the system is activated, the temperature controlled seat module uses a set of flexible algorithms to control the heating/cooling modes, and the fan motor speed based on the temperature controlled seat switch settings. These algorithms are designed to protect the user from potentially harmful prolonged exposure to temperature extremes.

The TED uses a "Peltier" circuit of p-type and n-type semiconductors connected in series, using copper electrical conductors. The semiconductors are sandwiched between two insulating ceramic plates. When current is applied to the TED, one side releases energy as heat, while the opposite side absorbs energy and gets cold. By reversing the current flow, the hot and cold sides reverse.

Heating Characteristics
The temperature controlled seat system draws approximately 7.5 amps until reaching the set point, and then the system draws approximately 2 amps to maintain the temperature setting.
In HEAT mode, the TED can add up to 40-60°C (72-108°F) to the ambient air temperature entering the system.
There are two HEAT mode settings based on the position of the temperature controlled seat switch thumb wheel. Position one is the low setting and position five is the high setting
In the low setting, the temperature controlled seat module is set to maintain seat surface temperature at 37°C (99°F).
In the high setting, the temperature controlled seat module is set to maintain seat surface temperature at 50°C (122°F).
If the temperature at one of the TEDs rises above 70°C (158°F), the temperature controlled seat module will the go into an over temperature mode and shut down the TEDs. The fan motor will continue to operate during over temperature mode.
In HEAT mode, there is no linear correlation between the thumb wheel position, seat fan motor speed, and TED supply voltage. The temperature controlled seat module will independently vary the fan speed TED supply voltage in order to reach and maintain the temperature determined by the thumb wheel.
Cooling Characteristics
The temperature controlled seat system draws approximately seven amps until reaching the set point, and then the system draws approximately two amps to maintain the temperature setting.
In COOL mode, the TED can remove up to 8-10°C (14-18°F) from the ambient air temperature entering the system.
There are five COOL mode settings based on the position of the temperature controlled seat switch thumb wheel. Position one is the low setting and position five is the high setting.
If the temperature at one of the TEDs falls below 18°C (64°F), the temperature controlled seat module will shut down the TEDs. If the temperature continues to drop below 12°C (54°F), the temperature controlled seat module will shut down the fan motor.
In COOL mode, there is a linear correlation between the temperature controlled seat switch thumbwheel position, seat fan motor speed, and TED supply voltage. For additional information, refer to the following chart.

Last edited by HomerWinzlow; 05-08-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:35 PM
rockgt302
Junior User
wow, and I dont mean it sarcasticly.