Sponsored by:

My truck is missing, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:54 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My truck is missing, need advice

My truck is still missing badly. I have farley new plugs and wires and I am pretty sure my timing is okay. My truck shows code 44 which is something to do with the thermatic air control but it was doing that way before the missing started. So what could be causing this? My gas mileage has dropped in half and I can not afford to drive it. I think it is time to take my truck behind the hill and just shoot it!

Old 04-27-2004, 04:17 PM
buckeyebronco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I changed my plugs and wires I had a friend help me and he swore up and down that you could take all the plastic clips off and just let the wires hang where ever. Little did I know on my truck you can't. I would put all of the wires back in all of those holders and make sure none of them cross each other unless absolutly neccisary. The most important is that on the 5.0 you keep wires 7 and 8 at least a half inch apart.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
peteyg
Senior User
is it missing all the way through the rpm range, or just at idle? You could have a stuck EGR valve...

Old 04-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
check timing just to be sure it should be at 10*btdc. what plugs did you use and did you also replace the cap and rotor? might look into the fuel filter if its clogged at all it can cause the miss.

good luck

Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Well I put on some rubber gloves and started my truck up. I started pulling the wires by the plug and when I pulled them the truck would bog down except on the second one back on the passenger side. I saw it arc off the wire so I figured it was a bad spark plug. I replaced it and still the same problem. It seems like I might have a bad injector to me. Does anyone eles have any ideas before I buy a new one? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:09 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it arced that easily by just disturbing the plug wire, the wire itself is very suspect. Start the truck at night in a dark area and douse the underhood courtesy lamp. If you can see sporadic blue arcing along the wires with the engine running chances are the wires have had it. Now if its a particularly humid night you may see some of this anyway but its a start. The arcing is the spark actually "seeping" through the plug wire and going to ground before it gets through the plug resulting in loss of full spark voltage from the coil. The symptoms would tend to make me think you have lost significant spark voltage somehow at least in some cylinders.

Like Kem said, check your base timing too. Make certain you check it with the engine at normal operating temp and with the SPOUT connector removed.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:30 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
No it did not actually arc until I took the wire completely off and got it near metal, then it arced. My timing was okay so I will double check that at night but if not then could it be an injector? They are almost 50 bones! And with my luck the one that I think went out is under the plennium so that is going to have to be a saturday job. I unplugged the wire leading to the injector and it read 12.something volt so I know it is getting juice. Is there a way to tell if the injector is bad with out taking the whole thing apart? Thanks

Old 04-28-2004, 05:00 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Can anyone help?

Old 04-30-2004, 11:02 AM
stepman
Posting Guru
Before I went after the injectors, I'd look at the compression and make sure that cylinder isn't lower than the rest. May have a bad lifter.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:07 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
I never thought of that. I will have to go down to the zone and buy the tool.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:21 PM
BigRedBronc
Senior User
Easy idiot check to do on the injectors. Use an automotive stethoscope (about 6 bucks at autozone) or you can use a looong screwdriver with your ear held up against the handle. Touch either one to the suspect injector with the engine running. If you hear the rythmic click from the injector, your problem is somewhere else. If you hear nothing, fasten your seat belts and break out your checkbook.
If you hear the injector clicking, one other thing is to compare it to the others. If it sounds significantly weaker than its bretheren, a professional injector cleaning may be the answer to your problem.
I had similar symptoms on my '86 a few years back. Ran fine at idle, but step on the gas at all and it would miss like crazy. Turned out to be #8 injector dead as a doornail.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:58 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
I took the truck to a guy I know who is pretty good with fuel injection. I just had him listen to it and he said do a compression test and that was fine so he said it was my injector. About 5 hours and $80 later I had the new injector in. ed it up and she purred! Now I am on all 8 cylinders. Now, the rear end. When I took the old injector off I could not blow through it but the new one I could so I guess it was clogged. Thanks for all the help!