1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

SuperDuty F-Series console fits fine!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 09:06 AM
DadVan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperDuty F-Series console fits fine!

Hey!

Just wanted to let the group know that I bought a take-out center console from a 2004 F-Series SuperDuty for my 2003 E-350 XLT SuperDuty. It was on eBay with a "But-It-Now" price of $40 plus $25 shipping. I needed to replace the (semi-worthless) console mounted on doghouse as I'm using that area to mount amateur radios and a laptop PC.

Bottom line, it looks and fits great sitting between the buckets in the van! As you'd expect, the color and finish match the stuff in my ETon and it's perfect as regards height (gotta be able to reach the coffee mug in the morning...).

If you're looking to replace or suppliment the doghouse console on a recent E-Series, you might want to give these center consoles a look (and no, I'm not selling 'em and I don't know the folks that are. )

DadVan

Old 04-24-2004, 03:15 PM
mickie98
New User
been looking at them myself

how do they mount? looking at them it looks like you have to remove sound proof from inside of the doghouse and they then unscrew... am i right?
anything i need to know before i do this? hate the bin thing that i have

Old 04-29-2004, 10:14 PM
DadVan
Senior User
mickie98,

Sorry not to reply sooner, I went out of town right after I posted the thread, returning earlier today.

Regarding removing the semi-worthless doghouse console on my '03, you fully open the lower container so that a metal retainer/clip can be accessed, then just (gently) pull up on the console while (gently) pulling the retainer/clip. This frees the console from three "keyhole" attachment points on the doghouse itself. I utilized those points to mount a literal board to which I in turn mounted the laptop PC and radios I use. I plan to "Rhino-line" the board gray to match the van.

Remember that the new center console I used was made to fit the hump on a truck, so there was some MINIMAL surgery (ensure both sides are the same length...) done to allow it to sit flat on the floor. I plan to complete *that* install by mounting it solidly to the floor. I don't want a big projectile in an accident, and that's what an un-secured fully-loaded storage bin would be...

DadVan

Old 05-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Dog House

Hi Dadvan,

Thanks for the great tip.
I have a high top conversion, and it came with a fold out on the doghouse. Plenty of room for coffee and doughnuts. That's what really matters.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:49 PM
DadVan
Senior User
Leo T,

Just for grins and jollys, how did the conversion shop mount the fold out to the dog house?

DadVan

Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Leo_T
Senior User
Dog House

Hi Dadvan,

It's a little hard to describe since my van is the only new series E-150 I've been in. In other words this dog house might have been made special for this conversion company. The dog house itself has a ridge on it, and the fold out slides down these ridges, and locks itself there. It's easily removable, and folds out for cup holders, and storage. That's about the best I can do for now. Next time I'm near a cargo van, I'll take a peek at it to see if it's the same as mine, or not.

My last van was an 85 cargo van that I bought new, and did a minor conversion on it myself.

I tried a car for a while, but missed having a van. The gas miliage is nothing to brag about, but I don't put many miles on it.

Anyway, have a nice day...good luck with the project

Old 05-09-2004, 08:48 PM
DadVan
Senior User
Leo T,

Thanks for the insight. I'm thinking about moving all the radios up to a "shelf" like the commercial 'Shelf-It' device, only stronger. I had a 'Shelf-It' in an A* and liked it, but it "vibrated" bedcause it lacked support in the middle. I think I'll make one out 3/4" plywood with metal brackets at the visor mounts/retainers...

DadVan

Old 05-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Heavy Duty Shelf

Hi Dadvan

Sounds like a plan!! Let us know how it turns out.