1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I learned something today

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I learned something today

I was at one of the local salvage yards today and a guy was there asking the owner for a right hand head for a 302 motor. The owner looked at the guy, who happened to be wearing a mechanics shirt for a local car repair shop, and said all heads for all V-8s and V-6s are not right handed or left handed. They can be swapped from one side to the other and there is not a difference. That is something I did not know and I have tested several other people and they did not know that either. Well thats my bit of trivia for the day. Ed

Old 04-23-2004, 08:26 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
This is true until you start talking about modular motors. Once they eliminated FEAD brackets and had accessories bolt right to the head, they made the LH and RH side only. I think!

Old 04-24-2004, 02:53 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flathead heads are left and right handed

However I guess it makes sense for a manufacturer to have as few different components as possible to reduce tooling costs

Old 04-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes sense and it makes fixing them even easier. I am relearning how much fun it is to tromp around in salvage yards and looking at new and old wrecks. Sometimes its like a treasure hunt and others its frustrating. So far I am finding that the Volare Front end thing will not end for years to come. There are several donors in every salvage yard I walk into. Ed