New Intake Question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:45 PM
bbgigem
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Intake Question??

Hi, this is my first post so I'll try not to dick it up. I recently bought a '00 F-150 with the 4.2L V6. I have a K&N air filter and flowmaster muffler on right now. My friend told me that I should get rid of the filter and completely redo the intake. He suggested a MAC induct. kit, a Pro-M 75mm "bullet" mass air flow sensor, and a BBK throttle body. With this info, two questions came to mind. 1. Would it be worth the money, and 2. Would this be a do-it-yourself project, or would I have to get it done somewhere? I was also wondering what anyone thought about JBA shorty headers? I'm not a very experienced mechanic, so any advice about the install of the intake, or any suggestions about modifications would be a big help. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:19 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
The Intake, TB, and MAF sensor is a cake walk to install. It will come with complete instructions when you get it. I personally have the MAC Intake and installed it in about 10 minutes. The headers are a pain to install, if you don't know what you're doing, you could screw some crap up. BUT, trust me, if and when you get the mods, we can give you more than enough how-to's and do's and dont's on the install.

Also, MAC has a set of headers for the 4.2 that are supposed to be easier to install than the JBA's, but I don't know for sure. Their cheaper too.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:35 PM
bbgigem
New User
True4.2, thanks for the advice. I'll look into the MAC headers. Also, what kind of spark plugs and wires do you recommend? I just changed mine out with Autolites, and felt a noticable difference, but I have no idea what kind of wires are good. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Well the people typically buy the motorcraft, autolite, or JBA's.