Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help.... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 01:24 PM
WyoFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help.... need some advice

I looking at buying a different truck it's a 93 FL250 supercab with 7.3L diesel Non turbo 5 speed, super clean truck. The only problem is it has 211,000 miles on it. I need the Pro's & Con's on this motor what to look for, and how much life might be left in the motor if properly mantained. Also approx. fuel mileage and are the parts for a rebuild real expensive.Sorry for so many questions but I have never owned a diesel. All I know is it has got to be a better truck for pulling a trailer than my 89 FL250 with a 302 in it. The only thing I tow is a small ski boat,car trailer or my two sleds on their trailer nothing real heavy.
Any info would be great
Thanks Mike

Old 09-07-2002, 04:30 PM
fatdaddy
Posting Guru

Given the fact that you're in that beautiful state of Wyoming---you're going to be operating at or above 5000 feet MSL(mean sea level)---if I was in your shoes I would start looking at trucks in the 95 year model --because the diesels are all turbos and consequently should perform much better at various altitude levels that you are going to encounter with the non turbos---even though they started putting cats on them in 94---the engines are a generation ahead and much better engineered in my opinion-----the 93 with 211,000 on it is a prime candidate for a rebuild at any time which would cost you from 3 to 5k---for that 5k you can stepup to a later year model with more torque(turbo) and less miles--and probably better fuel milage..........fd

Old 09-07-2002, 05:54 PM
WyoFord
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Sep-02 AT 06:57 PM (EST)] No..No..I wanted to here that they were good for 350,000 miles. What if I can get maintenance record from the previous owner to back up what the dealer is saying about how it was taken care of. Cause I'm in a position of 0 leverage as far as extra cash "for god knows how long" and a loan is out of the question. I have them talked down to 6000.00 and I was going to trade in my 89 "that has been through Hell and half of georgia" and a 87 ranger straight across for it. As far as where it will be used I am moving back home to Iowa some time before spring. If I could get a couple more years out of it before a rebuild I would be happy. The 3-5K you talk about is that just parts or to have someone rebuild it?
Thanks Mike

PS Who made the engine international?? Ford??

Old 09-07-2002, 07:47 PM
fatdaddy
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Sep-02 AT 08:55 PM (EST)]O.K.---the diesel has more mechanical longeivity than a gas engine--no question----If your comfortable with the veracity of the stated condition of the truck and the way it runs and looks is a testiment to its overall condition then I would take the deal----I'm not denigrating the truck because I haven't seen it , obviously---but any repairs on that truck will probably be more expensive than they would be on a truck with a gas engine........one thing that I would check or have checked by a diesel mechanic is the Injector Pump , if it is smoking under somewhat Hard acceleration or smoking under normal operation the pump is suspect and may need to be rebuilt , and they are not cheap to rehab---probably 600 to 800 or so----if this turns out to be the case then I personally would reduce the amount I was willing to pay by what it will cost to fix the pump---I would run a title search on the VIN and see what you come up with---Ask the current owner how long he has had the truck and what repairs he has made during the course of his ownership............I would be real nosey if i was going to spend 6k on atruck with 215k on it----better knowledgeable than Broke six weeks after the sale due to repairs----just my .02 worth , fd ----------it costs 2500 or so to do aquality rebuild on a 70's ford v8-360,390,351m,400,460----and thats if you do most of the work other than the machine shop stuff---so you can just bet that a workover on a diesel depending on how much you have to do will cost more than a gas engine , your truck may last another 100k without any major repairs , fd

Old 09-08-2002, 10:41 AM
WyoFord
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Sep-02 AT 11:47 AM (EST)]Boy I feel stupid.....I was just looking at my first post. I had just finished working on my Honda Odyssey which is a FL350R so when I posted I wrote FL250 not F250 honda on the brain lol......Thanks for the input Fatdaddy. Avyone else have any input????
Thanks Mike
PS again....I would still like to know who made the engine??

Old 09-08-2002, 12:54 PM
theologian
Postmaster

a really bad sounding diesel will often last for another 100k, so if it sounds good, it may last 350K - a properly treated and well maintained Powerstroke will last longer than that.

Wm
'02 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariot Powerstroke; white with leather - 3.73 gears. Not yet modified but the accessories are looking good.
'96 F450 4x4 Crew Cab XLT Powerstroke; White with Grey interior. Banks Turbo, Intercooler and Exhaust,
Power pack Chip, shift kit, Auxiliary transmission, electronic enhanced transmission control,
16 forward and 4 reverse ratios. 340hp 660ft lb, 4.10 gears, 12,ooo# winch

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=8385&.jpg

Old 09-10-2002, 10:44 PM
WyoFord
New User

TTT

Old 09-14-2002, 07:22 PM
bainbob
New User

I wouldn't pay too much attention to mileage. If it's been maintained it should be fine. I'd look harder at other things. The diesels tend to really rattle things. My 1989 F250 (7.3) has 441,000 miles on it and I'm still driving it. It runs GREAT and pulls as hard as ever. It still gets 17.2 MPG empty and 15.5 overloaded - which is what I have always gotten.

I have had some problems, but not with the engine (other than changing fuel injectors twice and the pump once - and the pump was $345, NOT $600 like someone here said). The biggest problem I've had is fatigue. The bolts for the power steering pump broke (fell right off the motor at a red light), threaded end of the clutch shaft fell on my foot one day, sheet metal by the radiator has cracked twice now (welded again), ears on power steering reservoir cap broke of at least 6 times, frame rivets got loose (replaced), and about once a year I have to tighten up all the bolts that tie in the front end. I've had to replace all the front-end components (tie rod ends, drag links, shocks, etc) four times now. This might seem like a lot but consider the miles. It's a work truck and I use it hard. At least 25% of the time it's pulling really heavy loads. I do my own maintenance and I try to do a good job at it. I've run AMSOIL with a bypass filter since the third oil change (don't know if it really helps but I sure can't complain).

If the truck runs good I wouldn't be afraid of it, but I would look everything over good and have ALL the fluids changed.

Bob

Old 09-14-2002, 07:35 PM
fatdaddy
Posting Guru

If the pump cost $$345 then I'll assume you had the knowledge to install it yourself based upon your other repair abilities---most folks don't know how or would rather have a competent mechanic istall an injector pump on their truck......most likely after buying the pump and adding a marketup to its cost and paying labor for the install ---i still think 600 wouldn't be too far off the actual cost------of course its just an educated guess , not exact science!!!!fd

Old 09-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Brian460
Posting Guru

Hey Bainbob, I too have a '91 that used to be a diesel and have the same problem with the core support cracking (to the point it look like the hood was unlatched). Have you or anyone else found a cure or cause of this?

Old 09-15-2002, 03:36 PM
bainbob
New User

Sorry, I don't know the cause (other than fatigue, caused by vibration). Obviously it's causing lots of problems with my old truck and I have to think Ford just didn't realize what a pounding a diesel can produce. I never have understood why big companies like Ford and GM never get their act together when it comes to the different divisions. Obviously their heavy trucks don't have these problems. Wouldn't it be nice if their light truck people would actually consult the heavy truck guys before attempting to throw a diesel in the chassis? GM is a great example. Look at that pile of junk they called a diesel in those old Chevy pickups. Considering all the Detroit Diesel experience they have you have to wonder how they could have been so stupid. Obviously Ford isn't any brighter...

About the injection pump - Yes, I changed it myself and it's pretty darn easy to do. I think anyone who can read and twist a wrench should be able to do it without a problem.

Bob

Old 09-15-2002, 08:26 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

I wouldn't pay that much for the truck. Personally, I would look for at least the 1994 version of the power stroke. There are plenty of them out there with about the mileage you are looking at for reasonable prices. It's a much better engine.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:54 PM
WEYost
New User

Old 09-22-2002, 10:50 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru

International made the diesel engine for the ford pickup.
I have found them to be very reliable. Some have more than 450k before needing major attention. Be sure to ad some type of coolant modifier to reduce the erosion problem in diesel engines. I use Nalcool and get it at truck repair shops or a caterpillar dealer.
the injection pump will usually display a leak at the "weep hole" under the narrow neck just behind the mounting surface. I had my 10 year old daughter help change my first pump. sometimes you may have to bend an old wrench to get at the bolts or grind it a little thinner. The pumps have a mark to line them up (timing). The pump will come out with injection lines attached to it (looks like a butterfly). Have fun and do the maintainance thing.