2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most quiet model 2004 F150 poll.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Most quiet model 2004 F150 poll.

Which model of the new F150 is considered "THE" quietest of all? List your model (STX, XL, XLT, Lariat, Fx4). Also list if it is Reg Cab, S/C, or Crew. And please list engine size. If you want to add other information like tire brand and size, bug shields, or window vents OK too. The more people that answer will give us the best results!!! I'll start off:

2004 F150 XLT Supercab 4.6L engine 18" Hancock tires. My noise rating would be a 5.

Noise ratings:

6 = No noise at all. 100% quiet and no wind noise.
5 = Mild wind noise almost no road noise.
4 = Mild wind noise and road noise
3 = Medium wind/road noise
2 = Loud wind/road noise
1 = Very loud wind/road noise

By the way, if someone has a better Idea for more accurate ratings we can fine tune this poll. I'm just curious if one model is the "superior" model of the 2004 for overall "QUIET STEEL" noise.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:45 PM
baja_stx
Senior User
What exactly are we trying to prove here?

4X4 Lariat SCAB w/ stock 18" wheels and BFG's. I rate it a 5 overall and a 6 just because it's a 4X4 truck. It's just as quiet as my wifes Navigator.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:47 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
6- i have to roll down my windows to hear the engine start some days. I have driven down I-10 with the back windows open and was talking on the phone in a normal voice.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by baja_stx
What exactly are we trying to prove here?

4X4 Lariat SCAB w/ stock 18" wheels and BFG's. I rate it a 5 overall and a 6 just because it's a 4X4 truck. It's just as quiet as my wifes Navigator.
I'm not trying to prove anything. It's just a curiosity thing for me. I'm not that brand loyal but always need and driven a truck. I don't do heavy towing but haul stuff mostly. I've been reading about the F150 quiet steel for a long time and decided to make the buy partly because of that, the strong frame, the safety, and the handling. I'm completely sold on this line. But I'm curious to know which is the most quiet of the models. If someone is considering buying one and they put high emphasis on comfort ride as part of the decision this could be a good data spread sheet for them. Also, let's say the Lariat's blow all others away on this poll. Maybe I'll go trade my XLT in for the upgrade in "quietness". Anyway thanks to all who have answered. At the end I'll tabulate the results.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 AM
ctfordguy
Elder User
With the stock tires I would say a 5. With the BFG Mud Terrians a 3.

XL 4X4 HD SCAB

Old 04-22-2004, 02:59 AM
FadeToBlack
Junior User
I don't intend to spoil your poll but I honestly believe it will not generate the results you are looking to achieve. Perhaps a poll of which tires people have on their rims would help since that is the only major difference between the models that will contribute to noise. All other factors are the same (window thickness, weather stripping, aerodynamics, chassis construction). But even then, unless one person drove each different model equipped with each different set of tires, how would they know if one was louder than the other? If you tell me that your truck is the loudest truck on the planet and I tell you that mine is the quietest, how would we know how to gauge the difference unless we swapped trucks to actually hear the difference? Me giving mine a 6 and you giving yours a 1 has everything to do with our individual ear sensitivity. We could have the same exact truck and yet you and I could have a different opinion on the noise level. Your ears could be more sensitive than mine (too much loud music for me). You could have smoother roads in your area than I do in mine.

Basically what I'm saying is that you are attempting to gather somewhat scientific data through a collection of opinions. You can conduct opinion polls to conclude things such as: which truck color most people like by tallying up the opinions given but you cannot conduct an opinion poll to evaluate facts. Facts are facts. Whether I think my truck is loud and you do not, only a decibel meter will give you the results you are looking for. Once again, I hate to come across as a kill-joy, guess that's just the engineer in me.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:48 PM
dusty1
Senior User
5-hear just a little from the Ford high profile bug shield. The shield must be working, because my latest road trip had bugs splattered all over the license plate, grill, etc. but only a dozen or so on the actual windshield.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:30 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User

2004 FX4, 18" tires, no mods. Quietest vehicle I've been in. I forgot to turn the truck off when I was filling it up the other day and took a few moments to figure why it wouldn't turn over - - - it was already running!

Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
I don't intend to spoil your poll but I honestly believe it will not generate the results you are looking to achieve. Perhaps a poll of which tires people have on their rims would help since that is the only major difference between the models that will contribute to noise. All other factors are the same (window thickness, weather stripping, aerodynamics, chassis construction). But even then, unless one person drove each different model equipped with each different set of tires, how would they know if one was louder than the other? If you tell me that your truck is the loudest truck on the planet and I tell you that mine is the quietest, how would we know how to gauge the difference unless we swapped trucks to actually hear the difference? Me giving mine a 6 and you giving yours a 1 has everything to do with our individual ear sensitivity. We could have the same exact truck and yet you and I could have a different opinion on the noise level. Your ears could be more sensitive than mine (too much loud music for me). You could have smoother roads in your area than I do in mine.

Basically what I'm saying is that you are attempting to gather somewhat scientific data through a collection of opinions. You can conduct opinion polls to conclude things such as: which truck color most people like by tallying up the opinions given but you cannot conduct an opinion poll to evaluate facts. Facts are facts. Whether I think my truck is loud and you do not, only a decibel meter will give you the results you are looking for. Once again, I hate to come across as a kill-joy, guess that's just the engineer in me.
You make some good points. I wonder how many people are reading this forum? If it's hundreds and we can compile even a subjective ranking, there is a possibility that one model may stand above others taking into account all you say. Maybe someone reading this forum is a Ford salesperson and has driven each different model. They could at least give an opinion. Bottom line is I'll have to take a test drive of the various models myself before I make a decision. But still it could be a fun and revealing poll, if we get a significant number of responses. I'll monitor it for the next week and if it dies out, fine. But if there is a good number of responses, I can put together some sort of ranking though it may be subjective.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 AM
cowboyjoe
New User
mine is a 1.....it has terrible air noise.....working on the prob. right now....LariatScrew-4x4
5.4 engine.3vpc, BFGoodrich 18" tires......I have always owned a Ford.....this is a noisy truck....I am disappointed in it.....I will take it to Fremont Motors in Sheridan, Wyo. and they will make it right....they are a great company to deal with....and no I dont work for them....not even in the same city with them...

Old 04-25-2004, 09:40 AM
IzInBloOm
Junior User
6 - XLT 4x4 MSOF SCAB HD tires

-ii

Old 04-25-2004, 02:34 PM
BlkButy
Elder User
4 - Cause I have da Nitto 325's on it!

Old 04-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Rschade
New User
Arrow This poll can produce usable results....

Have you heard of the theory around the "wisdom of crowds"? See a review of a book with the same name below. Good luck with your poll, it might produce useful results....

While our culture generally trusts experts and distrusts the wisdom of the masses, New Yorker business columnist Surowiecki argues that "under the right circumstances, groups are remarkably intelligent, and are often smarter than the smartest people in them." To support this almost counterintuitive proposition, Surowiecki explores problems involving cognition (we're all trying to identify a correct answer), coordination (we need to synchronize our individual activities with others) and cooperation (we have to act together despite our self-interest). His rubric, then, covers a range of problems, including driving in traffic, competing on TV game shows, maximizing stock market performance, voting for political candidates, navigating busy sidewalks, tracking SARS and designing Internet search engines like Google. If four basic conditions are met, a crowd's "collective intelligence" will produce better outcomes than a small group of experts, Surowiecki says, even if members of the crowd don't know all the facts or choose, individually, to act irrationally. "Wise crowds" need (1) diversity of opinion; (2) independence of members from one another; (3) decentralization; and (4) a good method for aggregating opinions. The diversity brings in different information; independence keeps people from being swayed by a single opinion leader; people's errors balance each other out; and including all opinions guarantees that the results are "smarter" than if a single expert had been in charge.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:33 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User

It used to be a 4...and even 5 when it was new. The more miles, the noisier she gets.

Maybe we should add mileage to the poll?

Old 04-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by CruelCrew
It used to be a 4...and even 5 when it was new. The more miles, the noisier she gets.
Maybe we should add mileage to the poll?
You can add as much info as you want. In fact the more the merrier. I can check most people's gallerys for the info, but some don't have a gallery need to tell me what model, tire size, etc. for the info to have any chance of producing results. And one mistake I made above is my tires are 17" not 18". If there is a substantial number of replies, I'll compile the stats.

Quick Reply: Most quiet model 2004 F150 poll.