1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

If you could redesing the Ranger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:05 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A power seat should certainly be available. A sunroof would be nice.

As for the V8, I think its a good idea, I see no benefit to my having the 4L in either of my vehicles when they get barely if any better mileage than the 4.6 V8 I should have gotten in the Explorer..

Old 05-24-2004, 01:33 PM
krunker
Senior User
I agree that the ranger probably doesn't need the V8. What they should do is make a 3 valve version of the 4.0 V6 with the variable valve timing. Better mileage, more low-end torque, more high RPM horses. Yet the weight stays the same.

Last edited by krunker; 05-24-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:36 PM
fx4man
New User
I also agree that 4.0 with 3 valves per cylinder would be great! Ford would only have to redesign heads and would put out more needed horsepower. How about a two way rear axle gearing so when not towing or off road I might get 20-22 mpg for highway driving. 3 or 4 inches wider and 6 inches longer supercab. Moonroof ,compass and temp reader on rearview mirror,more comfortable front seats and dynamat type material in doors and body panels for quieter ride !

Last edited by fx4man; 05-25-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:59 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
I'm just afraid that Ford is going to ruin the Ranger. Ranger sales are at ,I believe, an all time low. They continue to decontent them. I believe for 05 the Flareside will no longer be available. Not that I would ever get a flareside, but it goes to show the direction Ford is taking with the Ranger. It used to be you could get a Ranger in any configuration except for Super Cab long box, and now you can't mix and match options, you have to get what you want as a package, and then get a bunch of other stuff you may not want. Ford is working hard to maximaize it's profits by pushing more profitable vehicles like the F150, and are going to forget about the practiacal, low profit vehicles like the Ranger. I doubt they will get rid of the Ranger completely, but with all the money and work they have put into this whole new vehicle launch, I think it's gonna be quite a while before we see any major redesign of it, but we can always hope.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 PM
cdsmith_2002
New User
Just in case Ford is taking notes, here are my requests. I'm picky.

-4.0LSOHC with a manual transmission that can tow 5000lb
-Longer beds, 7' minimum
-4 wheel disc brakes
-XL trim available with 4.0L-5spd manual
-Crome Bumpers and Audio upgrades available with XL trim
-fuel economy computer option

AND

-Sport package of substance:4.0L-5spd manual-tuned suspension-package specific gearing-all season high performance tires.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:07 AM
walls
Freshman User
if you could redesing the ranger

now i drive a 93 4.0 5spd 4x4 std cab and this babey can do it all. but what about all those older and youger people who just drive around town picking up cans or carring makeup. why not have a front wheel drive for light hauling, better traction in the snow. mabey save alot of fender benders. probaly not even a ranger but a little pickup? plz be kind its just a thoutht

Old 12-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Level2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 98xlt4x4
Let me give it a shot. I agree with most of the posts here, and I like the current styling. Widen the truck 2-3 inches, and a slightly higher stance. Fully boxed frame, and coilsprung front end with cast-aluminum LCA's like the new F150. 32x11.50's and 285-75/16's would fit a stock 4x4. Rear axle available with 8.8 or maybe a 9" or something heavier available anyway. Offer Torsens on any models, and Electric lockers on the FX4 packages. Bigger disc brakes front and rear. Engines available would be a 4cyl gas, higher power V6 (or V8) gas, and a 4-or-5 cylinder turbo-diesel. Heavy duty 6spd manual with larger clutch, and the 5-spd auto. Manual transfer case (elec opt.), preferably gear-driven, instead of chain-driven, and a lower low gear. Give a choice for always engaged front end, or manual locking hubs. Bigger fuel tank (25gal atleast) available. Class 4 towing with 7pin wiring. Higher payload would be nice too.
Offer reg cab, super cab, and crew cab, available with any engine/tranny combo. Stretch the reg cab a couple inches, and the supercab a few atleast, maybe fit a foward facing rear seat. Crew cab would obviously fit a foward facing bench seat, with captain's chairs optional.
Beds would be a 5ft, 6ft, and 7ft. Regular cab and supercab could have any bed. Crew cab could have 6 or 7ft bed. Offer a power slide DOWN rear window like the ones in the sport-trac. Power locking tailgate also. Be able to fit a 33" spare underneath with a hitch.
For the interior... Thinner doors for more interior width. Offer leather seats with better lower back support. Backlit power window/lock/mirror switches. Power sunroof available, overhead consoles. Heated mirrors available. Better sound insulation to quiet the interior a little. That's all I can come up with for now, but it would be a good start, I think!
Why don't you just buy an F-150??? I understand the love of Rangers, I have one. But come on...all these things you are mentioning.....you are just describing what we already have with the F-150. If you want all these things buy the F-150 because that is what they designed it for. I agree that the Ranger needs a redesign and I could really go for a 6 spd. manual and a small V8 or a higher powered V6 and the cab could be stretched about 4 inches but if all these things are so important you need an F-150. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Level2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
I'd have to agree with everyone here.

Put the long bed with a supercab. Make a crew cab, with a long bed. Boxed frame. 35 spline axles, 8.8", 4 wheel disc across the board. Make a Cummins 3.9L diesel fit. Make a 3 valve V8 fit. Hell, make a DOHC V8 fit. Factory Rhino-lining in the bed across the board.

Add a "true" towing package; class 4 hitch, prewired for 7 pin and 4 pin, prewired for trailer brake controller. Add an optional 5th wheel. (You'll see why later)

Modulize EVERYTHING. I mean, have the wiring already there for someone to upgrade to power windows, locks, and mirrors AFTER the initial purchase. Make the power distribution block under the hood bigger. Make more space in the fuse box for extra add-ins.

Make the worlds smallest 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup, across the board. No different classes. Make all the Rangers equally capable 1 ton trucks, just in a mini-truck platform. And offer a true dually model with 6 Budd wheels and a Budd spare.

Heck, if Ford built a 1 ton Ranger crew cab dually 4x4 with a 3.9L Cummins, and 4 wheel disc brakes, I'd buy one. They could call it a "Mini Super-Duty"
Why on earth would they make a truck that is capable of moving so much weight or payload that wouldnt be able to slow it down becuz of lack of vehicle weight?? If you want a truck that is capable of all that then by a real Super Duty.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:53 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Level2
Why on earth would they make a truck that is capable of moving so much weight or payload that wouldnt be able to slow it down becuz of lack of vehicle weight?? If you want a truck that is capable of all that then by a real Super Duty.
Lack of vehicle weight is NOT what stops a truck. Drag is. The drag created by larger brake pads on larger brake rotors, which are attached to wheels and tires with a larger foot print on the road. That is what stops a truck, not the curb weight. And here's some news for ya, a big rig or a bus still won't stop on a dime either.

Besides, this whole thread is about what we "want" in our new trucks.

Last edited by bigrigfixer; 12-11-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Friction is a big factor and I don't dispute that. But Im not gonna put a 10,000lb trailer with a 4,000lb truck....you wouldnt be able to control it. And as far as wanting goes....thats fine, everyone can dream but lets be a little more realistic. You have to have more weight for more friction though...if you put 1 ton brakes on a Ranger it doesn't mean it will stop a really heavy load better...they will be able to stop the wheels but that doesnt give the weight on the tires to create friction between the tires and the road...I know I have driven semi tractor as well as 1 ton truck with large trailer for a lot of miles.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:28 PM
LedheadELH
More Turbo
I would like to see the new Rangers keep the same bed options, and keep the same width, I would like to see the manual shift T-case come back, along w/ Manual hubs, and auto's as an option. One really big thing is that I think that CV's and Torsion bars need to go, CV's don't hold up when you beat on em' as much as the older style front ends(no not htose Dana 28's either, those were horrible, got about 10 broken axles from em'!). They need to get rid of the current 5-sp., cuz I've heard nmothing good from them yet, and they should bring back the 4 sp. as an option. I think the 7.5 is an alright rear end, and the 8.8 should also be availible, they aren't heavy enuff to need a 9", I think the engine options are fine, but the 4.0 could use a few more ponies to keep up w/ competition. ...well that's a start anyways!

Old 12-13-2004, 02:10 AM
Thompy
Freshman User
Hit the nail on the head....

All of the above suggestions are great, disk brakes, a diesel, wider etc. etc. But Ford does have a good truck here, and getting all the bugs out of the Rangers would be a good start. Taking what they have and just making it that much more reliable. I know theres some guys out there that have had a Ranger for 15 odd some years and over 150,000 miles, but overall in general do all Rangers last that long? Look how many old Toyotas, Nissians, and so on are still out there slam banging around in the mud and still getting there owners home and ready for the next trip. I'm in college can't afford to have stupid stuff break and have to dump money in it to get to school, but the Ranger just fit in my price range and seemed like a good choice after coming here and reading what you guys have to say about the Ranger.

Getting all these nice new gizmo's would make the Ranger more appealing, but can Ford bring these things out and make them work, and still work after so many years? Durability should be a factor. They need to strengthen what they have. Make this truck outlive the owner, and make this truck a workhorse, able to take what you can put out.

Last, they need to take a good look at they're dealers. I know it doesn't relate to the Ranger but we all (most of us) have ran into a confrontation about a waranty or a problem. My grandma had a civic, they motor went out after 100,000 miles. It shouldn't have though, something dumb went out on it causing its demise yet Honda still provided her with a new engine at no charge, FOR FREE. Honda stands behind what they make, and don't get me wrong Ford does too but would Ford replace a motor. In my dad's and my life we've never seen it, and Ford is the only car truck van etc owned at my home. Customer service, and satisfaction won't only make the Ranger better but Ford in general. My dad had alot of trouble with his new F-150 in 1993 and all Ford wanted to do was give him 1000 dollars off of a new truck and trash the one we had. Leaked water in the cab, 3 oil pumps and so on. Make that truck work for you, not just get you in a new one. Selling Rangers may be easy, and taking about how to make them better is fun, but what we have to deal with and what we're given can be better. And what we have to work with can be better represented. When better people are involved Rangers will get new gadgets, and then the Rangers will just sell themselfs.