General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

A fallen Marine and a lost friend

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Rocking M
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend, Marine Corps 2nd Lt. John N Wilt, was killed in an aircraft accident off the coast of Florida this past Wednesday. He was participating in a training flight involving two Sabreliner jets. Seven men were killed in the accident. John was the creme of the crop. By far the smartest of all my friends. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 2000 and was on his way to be a Weapons Systems Officer in either a Hornet or Prowler. He will be missed.

Please do not forget those that risk their lives, day in and day out, in the service of our country.

Old 05-10-2002, 09:41 PM
icelander
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im VERY sorry about your loss. if you read chuck6083's "in memorium" posts, you will see how greatly most of us here appriciate what our men and women in uniform do for us. your friend, 2nd LT. John N Wilt, is a hero and nobody can take that away from you or his family.

to quote AIM "bless all who serve"

:-(

Old 05-10-2002, 09:51 PM
meridian1
Junior User

I am also an Academy grad (1980s and no longer in the service). My brother-in-law flies F14s and F18s for the Navy. Every month for the last 20 or so years someone in my circle of friends (or at least my extended circle of Navy shipmates) has lost someone through either peacetime or wartime tragedy. This is another example, and I am sorry for your loss. I think that these days fewer people are taking for granted the freedoms and other great things we enjoy, and what they truly cost. Your friend has paid the ultimate price. Fair winds and following seas to him on his final journey, and semper fi. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:02 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard it said: "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing". I like to think that we (Americans) are on the good side and those in our armed forces are the biggest part of our NOT "doing nothing". When I pray, I more often thank God rather than ask for something else. My freedom, my country, and those who have served to provide and defend the first two, are some of the things I thank God for the most. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I am grateful for all who have served, and continue to serve, so that folks like me have what we have.
I'll say an extra "Thank You" tonight, but I'll also ask - ask that God will let his friends and family know how much his service meant.
Brian A

Old 05-11-2002, 02:26 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
Post A fallen Marine and a lost friend

Your friend will be sadly missed and in this house at least, we feel honored that he thought enough of us (his fellow country men) to serve.

Land of the free,
Because of the Brave,

dj and family

Old 05-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can think of no quote so apt as this by Theodore Roosevelt, speaking at the Sorbonne in France:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face in marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world. Among the free peoples who govern themselves there is but a small field of usefulness open for the men of cloistered life who shrink from contact with their fellows. Still less room is there for those who deride of slight what is done by those who actually bear the brunt of the day; nor yet for those others who always profess that they would like to take action, if only the conditions of life were not exactly what they actually are. The man who does nothing cuts the same sordid figure in the pages of history, whether he be a cynic, or fop, or voluptuary. There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of great and generous emotion, of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder. Well for these men if they succeed; well also, though not so well, if they fail, given only that they have nobly ventured, and have put forth all their heart and strength. It is war-worn Hotspur, spent with hard fighting, he of the many errors and valiant end, over whose memory we love to linger, not over the memory of the young lord who "but for the vile guns would have been a valiant soldier."

~ A brave man and an Officer has passed, and I salute him as ever I would in life, as an enlisted man.

Old 05-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Chuck 6083
Elder User
Location: Where they take the census by counting the appliances on the front porch and multiplying by five

My family's and my prayers are with the family of this brave Marine. My prayers are with you as well. The loss of a friend is very hard. Let us determine to never forget their sacrifice. Though it was a training accident, it was still in defense of our country. As a previous enlisted man, I salute this fallen officer, and add his name to the glorius role of those who have died defending our great nation. Rest in peace, Marine. Semper Fi.

Chuck

Old 05-11-2002, 07:43 PM
red ranger
Senior User

i am so sorry to here about your friend..i know its a great loss to you and all his buddies..keep your chin up

Old 05-12-2002, 12:10 AM
Ghostrider304
Senior User

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES donn't have that Problem."
President Ronald Reagen

As a Marine my heart breaks for the loss of a brother, even though I did not know him he is still my brother. Always know that he made a difference and he will always be remembered.

SEMPER FI, MARINE! Chesty will be waiting for you to report for duty.

REST IN PEACE DEVIL DOG.

Will-

Old 05-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Rocking M
Senior User

Thank you all so much for your replies of support.

Sincerely,
Douglas Caulfield

Old 05-16-2002, 03:34 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas

As a former Marine myself, I think Ghostrider603 said it best...

"As a Marine my heart breaks for the loss of a brother, even though I did not know him he is still my brother. Always know that he made a difference and he will always be remembered.

SEMPER FI, MARINE! Chesty will be waiting for you to report for duty."

basstardo

Old 05-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts