Sponsored by: DP Tuner

flame throughers with diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:28 PM
ac_fordforever
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question flame throughers with diesel

what can i do to get flames out of my exhaust with a diesel? i was thinking of injecting propane. any ideas?

Old 04-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Jfrei
Senior User
Do you want the cheap easy way? If so all you have to do is plum some propane into your exhaust pipe. (after the cat) and then at the exhaust end put a sparkplug. Turn on propane and turn on sparkplug (you would need to wire the plug to a switch) and you will get flames.

Remember this is probaly not legal. (at least its not here in MN)

Now there is another way but I am not sure it would work with a diesel. In this way (on gas motors) you actualy stop the spark so raw fuel is just going out the exhaust (drop like one or two cylinders so it still runs) but sence a diesel ignites from compression I dont see how it could be done with a diesel nor do I think the diesel fuel is flamable enough.

Good luck if you try this and be carefull and always have the truck running if you have the propane going so that the propane goes out with the exhaust. Under the right conditions you can have mufflers explode if they fill with propane and have enough O2.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 PM
ac_fordforever
Freshman User
ok, ya thats basically what i thought. ill probly run a propane line close to the end of my exhaust tip. thanks

Old 04-13-2004, 08:34 PM
ColtM4
Elder User
I'd be careful with that. You wouldn't want to get charged with arson if it catches anything on fire.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:36 PM
ac_fordforever
Freshman User
i have stalks so the flames will be shooting up over the cab, so i should be good

Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Lanny Sutton
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just happened to be in the Sunday paper,Hoffman Automotive Acces.(1-800-873-4038)makes a flame thrower that comes with the control box,wire loom,wiring diagram and mfgr's liability disclaimer(go figure!!).They claim up to a 20' flame.Take a look at www.autoloc.com .

Lanny