1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what column length with Toyota box in 57-60?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:34 AM
wosborn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what column length with Toyota box in 57-60?

I've got the Toyota box installed in my '59 truck. Can anyone tell me what length column they used in the same application? I'm looking at the Flaming River and Ididit columns, wondering whether the 28" or 30" fill fit better. Kinda looks like the 28" will be right after the addition of the u-joint between the column and the box. What length column drop?

Old 04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this trick in a couple of streetrod magazines. Make sure the seat is where you want it. Now use a broom handle and a paper plate to simulate the column and steering wheel. This is where you hope your buddies don't show up and have a good time at your expense! Anyway, slide the broom handle in and out to find the most comfortable position. Subtract the depth of the wheel to find your column length. This would also tell you what length column drop you will need to get the correct "feel". Not rocket science here but it will make the truck more fun to drive.