Sponsored by:

Tubing my beater?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:19 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tubing my beater?

The last couple days I've been really bored because I've been doing a lot of driving for work. I have my beater f-150, and the bed (and numerous other things) are shot. I've been thinking when my tow rig is done, I'll take my beater, and cut the back half off over the rear axle, 4 link the rear with my spare 9" (that way I can cut the back half off), make an exo-cage and run tubes the whole way to the back and severly chop the front fenders and run a SA HP Dana 44. I think losing at those parts would put my truck on a good diet, maybe enough to run 38 inch boggers around.

my beater:

Old 04-07-2004, 10:47 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
38's? shoot! get som rockwells and run 49 IROK's

-jason-

Old 04-08-2004, 06:36 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
actually, I'd do that before I ever went to Dana60s. You get a rockwell for about half of what you can get a HP Dana 60

Old 04-08-2004, 06:57 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
yes i know....i was being dead serious. you remove the front quarter panels and the bed like you are tal;king about and you proll wouldn't need but a 6" custom lift to flex a set of 49's out! When i find me a DD that's what I am doing with my white truck!

-jason-

Old 04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And with tires that big you won't need to worry about no stinking tube cage . . . only thing hitting the rocks will be rubber.

Seriuously though, why would you put an exo on that? No offense or anything but it's not like the body will be hurt any if you get a few dings in it. I think the exo would be a funny looking waste. The only thing you may want to do is add some heavy duty bars to your rockers if you're going to be crawling so you don't get hooked up on rocks . . . it'll slide right over.

Will be a cool project! Mwahahaha! Rockwells!

Old 04-08-2004, 01:28 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to do what you are saying? Shorten the frame? Anyone ever done this? Aren't 49's overkill? My F150 has 32's on it and I think I should go even smaller so I can really go muddin. Gotta drop that center of gravity
Actually the project sounds like a lot of fun, but I do agree with Ivan, lose the exo. A little ugly for my taste. Get out the sawzall, plasma and have fun.
Mike

Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Okay Mike, I read the first few lines and thought we were gonna have to slap you!

Yeah, that would be fun. I'd like to find a cheap beater that I could chop up and never have to worry about body damage. Install a good roll cage and see if I can take her for a tumble.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:39 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Arrow

well, I was going to chop the back half completely off right in front of the wheelwell so I can get the most lift. The reason why I am going exo is because I just had a new windshield put in..

Actually, the main reason is because if I did roll, I'd destroy the top of the cab and the windshield, and I DO have new 'shield and if, for some reason, the cage would fail, at least it wouldn't be bouncing around inside of the cab with me. Not to mention I think it'd be easier than working inside the cab fabbing it up. I think they aren't the prettiest thing, but I believe that inside cages are for people who either have the time or money to do it or for people who have little regard to sheetmetal, not that my sheet metal is that great anyway. Plus, it has to be ugly..

Old 04-08-2004, 03:41 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Jimmy strikes again:

I really don't think an internal cage would be any more difficult or expensive to fab yourself but to each their own. Chopping that frame would be awesome. Are you going to keep it as a strict off-road truck or still drive it around?

Old 04-08-2004, 04:20 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
It'll probably be strictly offroad, as I don't think PA would let me keep plates on it.. here is what I came up with, just playing around... (btw, the truck in the pic is my f-250, I had a pic of it without a bed). it would probably have a bit more lift.

Last edited by bremen242; 04-08-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:07 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Freakin Jimmy....

I just don't care for exo's. BUT they do look okay once you've bobbed the hell out of your rig. Doesn't look like you have much to loose, go for it.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
wow, you guys suck at paint hahahhaha.

i personally like the exocage on an inclosed vehicle. go for the chop, you have nothing to lose right? could bt fun and you could learn a lot from it hahah.

Idio

Old 04-09-2004, 12:28 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mjwhip2
Is it possible to do what you are saying? Shorten the frame? Anyone ever done this? Aren't 49's overkill? My F150 has 32's on it and I think I should go even smaller so I can really go muddin. Gotta drop that center of gravity
Actually the project sounds like a lot of fun, but I do agree with Ivan, lose the exo. A little ugly for my taste. Get out the sawzall, plasma and have fun.
Mike

ppl shorten their frame all the time! i have thought about it and moving the rear axle forward but I am not ready to do all that yet. 49's are not overkill cause I don't believe in 30" of suspension lift and 10" of body. I plan on keeping my 6" lift and removing the body panels as needed. you raise your center of gravity when you put lots of lift on.....it won't hurt too bad to have just tall tires and not much lift!

-jason-

Old 04-09-2004, 10:13 AM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Fish,
Just screwing around with you. Don't know if you remember this thread. Basically along the same lines. Somewhat making fun of people who are not as up to snuff on offroading as some of you guys. I am one of those who are here to learn and to have some fun while learning. I am amazed at what you all have done to your trucks and what you can now do with them and just hope one day to be as capable as you all are. I have owned trucks my entire life but have never been a "serious" offroader but with the knowledge I am gathering here I hope to become a more than capable one. So my thanks go out to everyone who has helped me and I hope to return the favor someday.
Mike

Old 04-09-2004, 12:41 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Whip, for the most part its just good natured ribbing. Granted, every so often a troll pops in but they don't last long. Point is, we were all new to off-roading once and any of us with sense are still learning. Glad to have you aboard and glad to help.

Quick Reply: Tubing my beater?