K&N vs MAC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Lcashmer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N vs MAC

I'll be real surprised if this hasn't been asked before, but I figure some new opinions won't hurt.

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a bunch of stuff for my 98 4.2.

Other than price, is there significant difference between the K&N and the MAC intakes?

I also plan to get a throttle body and a chip.

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:43 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
The general consensus is that the main difference is the price. Think about it...the MAC is has been dyno proven for 12.1 hp's. The K&N hasn't I don't think. BUT, the AirForce1 Intake has claimed an 18 hp increase, and it is just as much as the K&N intake. From personal experience, I can vouch for the MAC Intake in power, but intakes all do the same thing...take in air faster than stock. Take 20 different tubes and hook them up to your truck...all the same length and size, all the diameter, all the same shape...just different materials. Hook the MAF up to the tubing and attach the filter. That's the intake and nothing more. How much difference could all 20 tubes make in horsepower while using the same filter? I doubt if any.

MAC Intake: $149.99
K&N Intake: $249.99

You really thing that $100 is going to give you more horsepower? If so, go with the K&N.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Also, ditch the idea of the throttle body spacer. All it does is what it says...takes up space. The throttle body spacers and the tornados are the best gimics out there. Stay with the intake, chip and a dual electric fans.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:28 PM
pirotek101
Freshman User
I agree with Bonda... forget the spacers. If you want to drop money go intake exhaust and chip.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:24 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
He's not getting a spacer...he said he's getting a Throttle Body.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Originally Posted by true4.2
He's not getting a spacer...he said he's getting a Throttle Body.

Ok, then if he's getting a throttle body... ...then stay away from the spacers.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
LC,

Before you go dumping tons of money into that 98 motor, let's ask ourselves how many miles we've got on that motor.....you may very well have some upcoming unexpected expenses on that 98 due to the flaw in the lower and front gaskets.

Tom

Old 04-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
LC,

You see, it just happened to someone else. We get these all the time on this site.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=227395

Old 04-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Lcashmer
Senior User
Thanks, y'all.

I sort of suspected the MAC was just as good. I'm going with that. Yes, I know better than to waste my money on a spacer or a Tornado, I want a throttle body. A Diablo will come last.

As far as the gaskets, if that happens, I'll fix it. I have too much work in this truck and I love it. I fully intend to start taking her to shows. I appreciate the advice, I just feel it's well worth it to fix it if it happens.

I've got new leather buckets on the way. I've already done the instrument cluster and new carpet. I've got a wood dash kit I'm putting on this weekend and I put on a new grill last weekend. I've already done a custom headliner with 1/2" foam and buttons.

As soon as I finish the interior, it's time for the engine. It's a fun truck and mine is in mint condition. Nobody believes it's a 98 when I tell them.

So, while I fully admit you guys may be right, I'll just have to fix her if the gaskets go. I'm more than willing to do that. I'll try and get my gallery together so everybody can see.

Thanks again all. This group is one of the things I love most about my truck.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Yes, I would love to see your interior. What did you do to the instument panels? And what type of wood dash kit and grille did you get? Where did you get your new seats and what do they look like?

I want to see pics or else...

Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I would love to see some pics also.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Lcashmer
Senior User
Wow! I sure appreciate all the interest. I will take some pictures of the work I've done so far and get them in my gallery.

I have posted in the interior album in my gallery a picture of the seats I selected. I have also posted a diagram of the dash kit along with pictures of the available materials. I chose the "Golden Oxford Burlwood."

On the cluster, my original didn't even have a tach. I found one after weeks of trying that did. Before I ever installed it, I installed one of those white overlays that has a switch so you can make it glow blue or green.

HINT: If you do this, remove all the bulbs labed "ILLUM" from your cluster. Even at low level, they spoil the effect of the overlay. The directions with mine didn't say anything about it.

Anyway, since I had to take it out again anyway, I added an alunimum bexel around the gauges. Now, with the bezel and the factory bulbs removed, it looks super sharp day or night. I'll try to take pictures.

Again, thanks for the interest.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I have been thinkin of putting in a pillar gauge cluster for oil press, water temp, and amp gauge in it, and covering the current dash with some brushed aluminum, leaving only a cutout right over the speedo. Put an old school hood tach on the hood, and find a place for a small out the way fuel gauge....

Old 04-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Lcashmer
Senior User
That might be cool. Only problem I might see is it might look a little weird, if you have a tach, bcause the speedo wouldn't be centered.

It's fun to play and share ideas.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I dont have a tach, so speedo would be centered, and because the plate would be a few inches in front of the speedo, only I could see it, so my passengers cant look over and complain about the speed. plus, the on hood tach would look awesome!

Quick Reply: K&N vs MAC