1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Torsion BAr Crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:33 PM
ChiefsFan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion BAr Crank

I am going to be cranking my Torsion Bars soon and was wondering if anyone had any pointers or tricks? I have heard to raise it up so the tires are off the ground but where would you support it?

Old 04-06-2004, 09:16 PM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
if you have a bumper jack, you can do that. Then just make sure you have some blocks under the frame in case the jacks slip.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:46 PM
rebturtle
Mountain Pass
try not to get too carried away with cranking your torsion bars. It's not a substitute for a suspension lift, and any changes, even minor ones, are going to affect your suspension travel, ride quality, alignment, and put a lot more stress on the torsion bars themselves. If you need to crank them far enough to be able to fit bigger tires than your wheelwells will handle, than I think you're asking for problems that will cost you more in the long run than a few-hundred dollars for a mild suspension lift (or less than a hundred for a body lift). Oh, and to answer your question: Raise it with a jack, place a jackstand under the framerail, and then lower the jack. One jackstand for each side. Don't work under the truck while it's on a jack - especially with suspension parts. A cheap set of stands and a jack are under $25 at parts stores now.

Last edited by rebturtle; 04-06-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rebturtle
try not to get too carried away with cranking your torsion bars. It's not a substitute for a suspension lift, and any changes, even minor ones, are going to affect your suspension travel, ride quality, alignment, and put a lot more stress on the torsion bars themselves. If you need to crank them far enough to be able to fit bigger tires than you wheelwells wil handle, than I think you're asking for problems that will cost you more in the long run than a few-hundred dollars for a mild suspension lift (or less than a hundred for a body lift). Oh, and to answer your question: Raise it with a jack, place a jackstand under the framerail, and then lower the jack. One jackstand for each side. Don't work under the truck while it's on a jack - especially with suspension parts. A cheap set of stands and a jack are under $25 at parts stores now.
That's how I feel about it, too.

If you do crank the bars, you'll need to have an alignment done.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:58 PM
ChiefsFan
Posting Guru
I will only be cranking them enough for about an inch. I am adding an addaleaf to ther rear of 2". I will be getting an alignment as soon as I am finished also.