1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Is the Navigation System worth it ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 AM
khelms_98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Navigation System worth it ??

I am seriously looking into changing out my factory audiophile stereo in my '03 Eddie Bauer Expedition with an OEM factory Navigation System. It will cost me about $1500 to change out the original stereo and put in the Navigation system. I am about to go off to college soon so the Navigation system will be really helpful and I also like the high-tech look of it. What do you guys think?

Old 04-06-2004, 06:04 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I could certainly think of a lot more necessary items to spend 1500.00 on but if money is of no concern at all then Id say get it. Personally Id buy a map and use the money for a good laptop or something you can use in class. I bet most people rarely ever use the feature unless they are on the road continously for business.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 AM
smays
Freshman User
Yes. (This is filler since I need to type at least 10 characters.)

Old 04-06-2004, 08:27 AM
RJExp.
New User
Old 04-06-2004, 08:58 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
I vote for a laptop with a GPS receiver.

I've seen a guy on an airplane with this. He had a moving map display on his laptop. It was tracking where the airplane was.

That has 100x the high tech, geek and coolness factor than a factory nav system.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:27 AM
ZBeeble
Senior User
Exclamation Palm + GPS

I have ordered a new Diesel Excursion. In Canada, at least, the factory navigation system wasn't offered.

I lease (currently) a 2001 Navigator. In 2001, Ford didn't offer the navigation system. While I was keen to get the factory navigation system in the 'gator, I have since heard that it's a fairly mediocre system ... especially for the price.

For my Excursion, I bought a colour palm pilot with a GPS receiver and map software for $110 on eBay. It comes with a lighter socket cord to power it in the vehicle and a mount to put it near the windshield.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Hotel Charlie
New User
Gps V

I have a Garmin GPS V, and I like it alot. One good thing is that I can take it with me if I ride with someone else.

HC

Old 04-06-2004, 11:08 AM
SammyK
New User
Hey guys, check this out. Would you buy this for about that much? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...850099,00.html

I have for sell. 1800 for forum members.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:57 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
I recall a road test of the first-generation Navigator with the factory nav system. One criticism was that it couldn't keep up the location changes if the vehicle was traveling over 70MPH. Word to the wise for those who drive a bit quickly.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Leader
Elder User
My vote is also for a Laptop & a GPS.
Delorme has a unit for around $100 that is the GPS (Powered via USB from laptop) and a Good mapping program. It will do everything the fact. sys will do & more. Besides that.... the screen is bigger & you can actually see it while going down the road.
You can also move it toi another car if you want to.
Only draw back is you need a cheap inverter to run the laptop for long trips.

Lets see....
Laptop $1000 Can be used to come here from motels when on road.
GPS $100 Can be used in any car
Inverter $35 Can be used in any car

Fact system... $1500 only in one veh. Doesn't work very well.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:59 PM
daveplot
Elder User
I have never used the factory system but I recomend the Garmin iQue. It's a PDA with GPS

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/

Old 04-06-2004, 03:33 PM
SammyK
New User
The Pioneer AVIC-N1 just came out about a month ago and have been a HOT seller. The reason is because its priced super low compared to other models released in the past. It comes with a Built-in DVD player/CD/CD-R/MP3 and a TOUCH SCREEN navigation system, all in one Single-DIN slot that will fit most vehicles. It has no problem keeping up with cars moving fast. In fact, it comes with a performance meter that measures Lateral G's, Acceleration, Clock, Voltage meter, speedometer and vehicle angle readout (for offroad enthusiasts). Tells you the incline/decline of the truck. BADASS!! All for less than $2K. Now, Can a laptop do that??

Old 04-07-2004, 08:14 AM
MrFred
Junior User
I am planning to go with the Garmin 2620 for the following reasons;

1. It's portable, so I can use it both my Expy and the wife's Sable.

2. When I replace the Expy the Nav system goes with me.

3. If there is a problem with the unit I can just ship it back to Garmin.

4. If and when I fly South(or West) I can take the unit with me to use in a rental car.

The Garmin 2620 is very easy to use,once you program an address it gives you direction in a audio voice therefor you can keep you eyes on the road. This safety feature is priceless! Having a laptop seems like alot of stuff sitting on the front seat. With the Garmin it includes a bean bag holder that simply sits on the dash, when you're done just unplug the unit and put everything into the case.

Fred

Last edited by MrFred; 04-07-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:34 AM
SammyK
New User
First, the Pioneer unit can be taken out anytime and will work with any other vehicle. It can also be returned to the manufacturer under warranty and its just a badass stereo. If you want a portable nav, I would suggest the Magellan Roadmate 700. (Hertz Rental cars uses this in their cars.)
http://qualitymobilevideo.com/Mercha...de=Roadmate500

Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Leader
Elder User
Sammy

Just to clear this up...........
"The Pioneer AVIC-N1 just came out about a month ago and have been a HOT seller. The reason is because its priced super low compared to other models released in the past."
" It comes with a Built-in DVD player/CD/CD-R/MP3 and a TOUCH SCREEN navigation system, all in one Single-DIN slot that will fit most vehicles. It has no problem keeping up with cars moving fast."

Laptop has DVD,CD, CD-RW, & will play all the MP3 files you can load on it. The navigation programs will keep up with anything up to 999 MPH. But it WON"T fit in the dash.

"In fact, it comes with a performance meter that measures Lateral G's, Acceleration, Clock, Voltage meter, speedometer and vehicle angle readout (for offroad enthusiasts). Tells you the incline/decline of the truck. BADASS!! All for less than $2K. Now, Can a laptop do that??"

No lateral G's,or acceleration. Yes to the clock. No voltage meter. Yes it has a speedometer but doesn't tell the angleof incline or desent. I would think you could get programs that will do those things but the basic map programs don't.
That Magellan Roadmate 700 sounds like a really nice unit but I couldn't see it good enough for what I need.

Quick Reply: Is the Navigation System worth it ??