1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Looking at a Ranger and need some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:32 AM
aftermarket
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a Ranger and need some help/advice

Hey all. Nice site you guys and gals have here. Greetings from up north in hockey country.

Anyways, I could use some help. Am new to the truck scene, and have had my eye on getting a Ranger (wife has a Focus, so can't go wrong getting another Ford for the household. ), although I'm not sure as to what to get.

I have had my eye on getting a newer model, used or new. Preferrably '93 or newer (like the styling). In my area, there is a lot of models available, some ext cabs and some "plainer" versions.

My question is...is there some years/models that you should stay away from (problems that have occurred) and some that you should try to stick with? Is there some main mechanical problems or past history with some years/models that could be a concern? A certain engine that is better/worse than others? I just need to know what's good, what isn't.

BTW, this is a daily driver for me, mostly a street truck. Not a whole lot of pounding it into the ground or anything like that. I like to baby my vehicles a little. 4 wheel drive is not a concern, and oddly enough, I think i'd get a reg cab model. Not sure why I'd not get an ext cab. Flareside beds would look great too.

Anyways, I'm new to this, so hopefully you can point me in the right direction. All the suggestions and help I can get will be greatly appreciated

Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Quick question ....you say you're not interested in 4-wheel drive, but yet you live in hockey country?

Old 04-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Mazdarossa
New User
I own a 95 Mazda B2300 (Same as the Ranger). It is the two wheel drive four cylinder version. It is nine years old and has about 170,000 km on it. I have to say that it still runs like new if not better. The only problems I have had so far are the usual for older vehicles (ball joints, brakes, alternator, etc...)
If I had my time back I would have gotten a 4x4. We get a lot of snow down here on the Rock.
I would definitely recommend this model year. From 94 to 97 they are all the same so anywhere in there will be good. I have no experience with the newer models but if they are as well built as mine I am sure you will be happy.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
aftermarket
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
Welcome to FTE!

Quick question ....you say you're not interested in 4-wheel drive, but yet you live in hockey country?
Well, if it comes with one, then great, but, not a priority. Sorry, should have clarified that.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:18 PM
SUPJDO
Senior User
Well I will give you my 1% of opinion. I had a 2wd 2.0 '88 ranger. I loved it swore i would not get rid of it, 200k later i retired it ,alot of hard,hard miles on it. So i stepped into a '97 xlt 4x4 4.0 XCAB I bought it with 165k on it 2/1/04 I am absolutly thrilled with it. Gets half decent gas milage+power out the ying-yang. A very comfortable ride and a pleasure to drive. The xcab is the way to go i am 6ft. 265lbs. and now i would not go back to a reg. cab, i have leg room now! I would suggest 4x4 and xcab and the 4.0 power is a must. Then again that is only my 1% of opinion.......GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SEARCH.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Pickup trucks run lighter in the rear end, and being rear-wheel drive vehicles, they therefore tend to break traction a little sooner than most people are normally accustomed to when driving a car. Many pickup truck owners put sand bags or other weight in the bed during the winter to try and maintain better traction. 2WD Rangers do better in that regard if they have a limited-slip axle, and 4WD Rangers w/LS do better still.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 PM
rangerguy06
New User
I have a 99 Ford Ranger Sport single cab and would not trade it for the world. I have had very little problems with it and 65,000 miles later still love it like the day I bought it. If you are tall I wouldn't recommend it, but the 3.0 gets up and goes pretty good. Have fun with your search.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2004, 11:25 PM
aftermarket
New User
Thanks for the help and advice so far.

Went to look at a few and this one seems to be the best one so far.

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/r...=1&vid=7369221

Old 04-10-2004, 11:42 PM
f15zero
Freshman User
be sure to check on the prices of new ones ... i recently started shopping for a used ranger (i haven't bought a new vehicle since 1989) ... was really surprised at new prices (ford currently has a healthy rebate) ... late model used cost almost as much as new (if you're not looking at the top of the line)

Old 04-11-2004, 06:18 AM
patrickgw
Freshman User
if your not using the truck for towing, or really working it the 3.0 is an excellent engine. (as your looking at) if you check some of the milage threads regarding this engine there are 3.0 engines w/400,000+ miles without any major engine work

Old 04-11-2004, 06:39 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
If interested in new check out the Mazda B2300. It comes with better standard warranty (48 month/50,0000 versus (36 month/36,000 for Ranger). It is also made by Ford. I have a standard cab 2WD with 2.3 and 5spd auto. The 2.3 is a 16valve with 143 h.p. Bought snows and put sandbags in rear. No problems getting around this winter. It's a good little truck for the money. Don't know if rebates are in effect now but they were last year when I bought it.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:14 AM
aftermarket
New User
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the 3.0L engine. This truck I get will not be doing a lot of towing (maybe a ski-doo sled single trailer at best), more for a daily driver to work, to Home Depot, etc,etc.

Am going to test-drive one tommorrow, and take another look at a few more delearships and see what they may have.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
valo
Senior User
If you look at one with the 4.0 sohc Try to find out if they took care of the timing chain rattle problem

Old 04-11-2004, 09:03 PM
marcusg
Senior User
Hey man, welcome eh!! I have been reading your post and this is what I can say. I too am new to the truck scene and we have somethings in common I am trading in my focus for a 2004 ranger edge getting into it this week (long story) anyways if u r over 6 foot get the ext cab and they can add length if needed, i'm 6 4 and 300 plus and went with the 2x4. limited slip is needed on 2's no questions asked, winters are nuts in canada u no that now 3.0l engine is what i went with the most i will be towing is the atv and bike never both but a new ride is always your best bet as it doesnt have a history plus look at the deals right now rebates plus extras (no charge) come on now plus the two tiny seats in back might be needed (u never no)

Last edited by marcusg; 04-11-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:56 PM
aftermarket
New User
Saw a few more today that I liked. The one that stood out today was a 2002 XL, std cab, 5 speed, 3.0L 6 cyl, air, cruise, tilt, 48,000 kms (not miles), mint shape. The dealership was asking $13500, not bad. Although from what I saw so far, I think I wanna keep it to a '99 or newer.